Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Half-Life 2 deathmatch has landed

Duh-duh-duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh...

HALF-LIFE 2 DEATHMATCH IS COMING!!!!!!!

HL2DM.jpg

It's a toilet, and I believe it's a joke about being able to throw all kinds of crazy stuff in HL2 :)

If only the game looked like that (erm minus the cheezy motion blurs)
It does. For me at least.

It does. For me at least.

It looks better for me. A little less cartoony and more realistic. :mock:

Just great. The SDK expects Steam to be installed in somewhere that doesn't have a space in the pathname. I have it in G: \Program Files\Valve\Steam...

If I try to run something from Hammer it says gameinfo.txt not present in G: \Program

Damn... to compile the source code you need Visual Studio .NET. I have the previous version....

Erkki,

Just launch HL2 (with -console) and type map whatever. There are known problems with Hammer launching the game, but launching it manually works just fine... Just make sure that the don't run game after compiling or whatever checkbox is checked.

Thanx, toblix.

I decided (for various reasons) to uninstall steam and install it to a different folder now, but man, Steam is weird ... (I also decided I'd let it re-download HL2 and everything else)

It said it had downloaded HL2 100% and I executed it. Now it displayed the loading screen for minutes ... then I managed to get back to my desktop and discovered Steam is actually still downloading. 66% done. Why the hell did it have to do that in a loading screen that only displays a blurry image and the text "Loading".

The MP is great, but all the servers with good ping are full.

Oh man the HL2 deathmatch is fucking out of the control. It's a total warzone. There's a never-ending stream of gunfire, shit flying around everywhere, people throwing radiators at each other, etc.

As a result the ping takes a very high toll, so you actually have to find servers that are close to you, but man... it is worth it.

Valve: I want to have your baby.

Oh man the HL2 deathmatch is fucking out of the control. It's a total warzone. There's a never-ending stream of gunfire, shit flying around everywhere, people throwing radiators at each other, etc.

As a result the ping takes a very high toll, so you actually have to find servers that are close to you, but man... it is worth it.

Valve: I want to have your baby.

Exactly. I played for about 10 minutes before getting fed up of sinks impacting with my forehead. I think the grav gun should be VERY limited, like quad damage and such powerups are in most DM games. As it is, there's all too much getting-hit-with-heavy-shit going on.

Ooookay... yesterday night Half-Life 2 decided to download a patch and I haven't managed to open the goddamn game since... The CD revves up, the little red light blinks, but nothing happens. :deranged::finger::frusty::bomb:

Try the www.planethalflife.com forums. I think I saw similar problems posted there. And it seemed to me that all who had the problems had the CD version... :fart: (it might have been some other forums though)

BTW. Does anyone know if it's possible to change Half-Life 2's INPUT language settings? I mean for the whole app. It allows you to change it IN THE CONSOLE, but it does me no good because I CAN'T OPEN THE CONSOLE. ET keyboard waits for a second key press after the ~ key before it outputs a symbol.

Of course, I could change the shortcut key in the config file, but I don't want to.

I've just bound it to F3 in config, since only the F keys seem to work with my input locale (NO). I don't know about you, but I like being able to use such esoteric characters like 'å' while talking instead of using 'aa' and the like.

Hypothetically speaking, will one be able to make a, say, third person action-adventure with the SDK? The more I think about Langhorne Underground the more I think it would be better as an action-adventure... or at least a 3d adventure with some superfluous action... Why must I create more problems for myself than I really need?

In DeusEx, changing to 3rd person was as easy as Player.bBehindView = true; :) Well, not really. I actually made my own camera system (but it still sucks).

PS. I want to borrow the HL2 radio model (the one in rebel bases) for my DX mod, but I can't find it. Perhaps it's part of the geometry? And the HL2 singleplayer maps don't seem to be openable...

For now I'm using a DX computer and pretend it's a radio...

[edit]Actually, once my benefactors provide me with MSVC .NET I'll start messing with the source and tell you how hard it is to make a 3rd person mod...

I can always pretend it is a creative solution (when in fact it is born of necessity) and create some sort of ICO/GK3 thing where the "protagonist" is being pulled around by the disembodied first-person player character who for all story purposes isn't there at all -- who is expected to solve the puzzles for the "protagonist". That would actually make everything oh so simple.

You know, after some initial looks at the SDK (which is still missing some things like the character poser or what it was), I'm getting the feeling that the average modder should stick with Unreal-engine based stuff. Seems to be a lot better supported both by the developers and the community. Or maybe I just haven't found the good places yet.

You only need to look at Thievery and Alien Swarm to see what great things can be done with the Unreal Engine. www.blackcatgames.com I think someone should do an in-depth interview with these guys. Or maybe someone has, don't know.

I'm not going to just jump in and be overwhelmed. I am going to wait a while for stuff to flesh itself out, for the modding community to establish itself and so forth.