Salka

Unlocking Half-Life 2

Unlocking Half-Life 2 on Dial-Up.

Fuck you. Fuck fucking you. Fuck you.

It takes 15 minutes or so even if you have a fast connection as far as I know.

In the deepest, darkest corner of Ireland, I can assure you it takes no less than ....

8 FUCKING HOURS!!!

Wait so it needs to download a lot of data while unlocking? I didn't know that. I thought it was just decrypting something ...

You have the retail version right?

Man, I weep for you. The unlocking process was trouble-free for me and I was still pissed off by it. Valve have annoyed so many people with this one, it's insane. I reckon it won't happen again. :nuts:

Like Erwin, it only took me about five minutes from when I started Steam to when I was able to play it.

Then again, I was being nerdy and got up early so I could unlock it immediately at release. I probably got in before the salivating horde of gamers DoSed Steam.

it took me "only" 5-10 minutes to unlock hl2, but

this

sucks!

steam was checking (!) its datas for around 15 minutes till i was able to play hl2 again. fuck you, steam! ;(

Before you jump onto the "fuck you, steam!" bandwagon you may want to actually check the Steam updates page. That hl2 data file check was a bug fix for those who had their games crash when you start them.

You have the retail version right?

No, it's an illegal downloaded warez pirate illegal pirate copy!!!1 The eight and a half hours to unlock it is including the time it's taking me to DOWNLOAD0rz IT!!!1

I haven't tried it since, so maybe something was wrong. I gave it to my brother because he has broadband. It went the way of all the other good games I've ever had and have been dumb enough to 'lend' to my brother.

Sigh.

Before you jump onto the "fuck you, steam!" bandwagon you may want to actually check the Steam updates page. That hl2 data file check was a bug fix for those who had their games crash when you start them.

i want to decide when i want to update my hl2. why can't they use an optional online-update-function like in bioware's nwn or kotor???

Hmm, now I wonder if I will be able to play the US version in my PC...

My sister is on her honeymoon and his husband is buying himself a copy of HL 2, and another for me...

But all this checking and unlocking worries me... ;(

I'm being kicked out of house for a week for de-leding (or some stupid shit), so I'm forced to wait until the 30th to get this game. (Or get it now and play it for a day then be forced to not play it for a week...nah, I couldn't handle that.) Hopefully these problems will have been fixed or smoothed over by then.

No, it's an illegal downloaded warez pirate illegal pirate copy!!!1 The eight and a half hours to unlock it is including the time it's taking me to DOWNLOAD0rz IT!!!1

Blabla. I thought maybe you had the Steam version and hadn't preloaded all, but of course I forgot you said you have Dialup...

i want to decide when i want to update my hl2. why can't they use an optional online-update-function like in bioware's nwn or kotor???

zing.png

Heh. Yeah, that option's always been there. Apart from the friends network thing being shite, Steam's always worked fine in the 5 months or so I've been using it, and I think it's a great idea... for online only games anyway.

It's a nause forcing people to go online just to activate something that many people will only be interested in the offline single player for though, but I guess they're just doing what they can to encourage people to buy legit copies of it, so I expect we'll see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future...

Umm... didn't feel like making a new thread...

Valve released another update for the Steam client. This update doesn't fix the sound stuttering bug, because that is now expected to be fixed tomorrow. [Yay! - erkki]

Steam Client Changes:

• No longer require "remember password" to be checked to play offline

Restart Steam, and the changes will be set into effect after it updates.