Sign in to follow this  
b0b

Another World Not As Good As Flashback?

Flashback was rather like too little butter spread over too large a slice of cinnamon raisin toast. Whereas AW constantly confronted the player with differing challenges, FB largely consisted of just shooting things. Sure the game was longer, because there are nice big sections that aren't really that interesting. Plus there are some pixel-perfect nause jumps in there that make the cavern section of AW look about as taxing as watching an episode of Spongebob Squarepants.

I hate that little sponge fuck.

Anyway.

Another World 4 life j00 :cens0r:in' flashback lovin' :cens0r:s...

...oh.. and I would like to point out that I do in fact love Flashback, and think it's great. I haven't played Heart Of Darkness, but I probably should..

Both are great but Another World is far more superior.

Damn I miss all those hours spent on playing AW on my old Amiga...

At least flashback didn't kill you every time you moved. If i was you, i wouldn't waste my time with Heart of Darkness. 8 years on from AW, it advanced very very little. One might go so far as to say not at all.

There's a shit load of repetative monster bashing and arsing about which, once the inevitable death ensues, places you miles away from where you were when you died.

Such design may have been acceptable in AW when it was introducing lots of new concepts and a genuine game experience, but to make no improvements upon that idea thoughout a 5 year development, to almost appear to regress...sod that.

I didn't like Another World. I remember going psycho and throwing the Nintendo control around the room. I liked Flashback though.

oh well.. that kind of sucks..

Guess I won't bother trying to track down a copy then :)

At any rate, I refuse to believe it could possibly contend with Fade To Black in the "worst game vaguely related to AW" stakes.

Boy, now boy, ah say, that there's a terrible game :cens0r:

I like another world better because of its cinematic presentation and atmosphere, but on the gameplay side, flashback leaves more lasting impression.

I like another world better because of its cinematic presentation and atmosphere, but on the gameplay side, flashback leaves more lasting impression.

I agree! When playing Flashback I felt a lot more like I was playing a game which happened to have some cool cinematics versus OOTW, which seemed like a very long, awesome, interactive cutscene. Fortunately both of those games are good so theres no need to complain really. Fortunately nobody is.

I wonder how many people are speaking from memories and have actually played either Flashback or Another World recently? I played Another World very recently and I have to see I was very underwhelmed. Without the graphics being as flashy as they once were, there's not much else :( I think Flashback offered more replay value.

Still, I enjoyed playing AW on my Amiga! There were some really excellent moments, but i wasn't a fan of that cave section in the middle (the pixel perfect jumping over and over those damned jaws until you finally made it).

Does anyone know what the actual storyline for the sequel was? I heard it had a crumby ending...? Anyone played it to the end?

Also: Did Flashback have a sequel? Was Fade to Black really Conrad's return or what it just a similar game in the same way people though FB was a sequel to AW?

AW on GBA would be over faaaar too quickly. Once reasonably long train journey and you'd be trading it in in no time. I'd LOVE to have Flashback on my GBA, though! THAT would rock (so long as it's as good as I remember! ;))

I bet someone could do a Flash version of AW!

AW on GBA ! Excellent.

... But this is only an amateur who did the convertion and it's seems the roms was removed from the website after Eric Chaih complein about it.

It will be so cool if a publisher was interrested by the project :yep:

Also: Did Flashback have a sequel? Was Fade to Black really Conrad's return or what it just a similar game in the same way people though FB was a sequel to AW?

Yeah, F2B was a genuine sequel to Flashback (drifting through space in cryo sleep after Flashback, Conrad Hart is intercepted by the morphs and thrown in jail - called New Alcatraz I think). At the time, I remember thinking it was a pretty good game. Reinstalled it a couple of months ago and couldn't believe how badly it had aged - completely unplayable. Ruined that memory...

There's only one thing that Flashback does better than Another World... and that's the character animation. Most notably the "roll then pull out gun and shoot" move. Oh man, when I first saw that I nearly died on the spot.

Most notably the "roll then pull out gun and shoot" move. Oh man, when I first saw that I nearly died on the spot.

Oooh yeeaah! How good was that? I didn't go so far as to die on the spot but I definitely wet my pants a little.

I got Flashback before Another World (I think the two games were released a matter of months apart on the Megadrive) and it stayed at the top of my favourite games list for several years. Lost count of the number of times I replayed it.

I only got a copy of Another World four or five years ago but it was still such an impressive game. A work of art.

They're both stinkingly good games. AW a stunning concept piece, FB a finely tuned machine.

About Out of This World (another world), I actually played through it completely quite resently (last year I think) - and it is one of the most memorable game experiences I ever had... And then I found out about Heart of the Alien... Actually I think it is a fantastic game, I can really recommended it for anyone who liked another world. Of course it's not Another World - but really nice anyways (hey you have a fiery bull-whip - that's cool no matter how you see it). Many people say it has a bad ending - and you could argue so - but I think it tied in nicely with the game - a little sad maybe. That could be the reason people didn't like it..? Anyways, my point is that I really recommend Heart of the Alien to anyone who liked AW....

I really wish I'd played Another World - sadly, I missed it at the time. I played Flashback, but I was so poor at it that I couldn't make it past the section where you're on a timer against a bomb. The lack of a mid-mission save really screwed the game up for me.

Oh, and yes, Fade to Black is pretty terrible nowadays.

But all these games were/are too difficult :(...