Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Grim Fandango!

Holy schmokes, this game was even better now than before! Last time I played it, I didn't quite finish it, but now that I have, there's only one word to describe it...

Oh. My. God.

I don't mean the ending (that was slightly disappointing), but the rest of the game... the pacing... the puzzles... the music... the story... the characters... the style! I mean, the graphics are blocky as Hell, but unlike Simon the Sorcerer 3d, they did it with style, with flair! And the dialogue... I haven't checked imdb yet, but am I right if I guess that Jesus Christ did the voice work for this game? I've never played a game like this before and not skip a single line before it's spoken out.

The only thing that annoyed me with this game was the controls. The rest, though...excellent. Where was it I read the description of Schafer's style (I think it was around here), something about the brilliant mix of humor and emotion. Really good stuff.

Now I'm done:period:

I think each time I play Grim Fandango, I appreciate it more. I've maybe played it all the way through four times since 1998, but each time I found myself 'getting' the dialogue more, appreciating the music and voice acting more, adoring the story, characters and mythology more.

It really is a downright amazing achievement, but when you have Tim Schafer writing it and heading a crew like that, I guess excellence is likely. Wow, just thinking about it makes me want to go and watch the cutscenes again.

I've played through it a totally excessive number of times, and it never gets any less enjoyable. It's probably one of the greatest gaming achievements of all time, and thanks to the excellent art direction, has almost timeless graphics.

Yep, Grim Fandango is one of the games I can play countless times too.

I don't mean the ending (that was slightly disappointing)

Why did you find the ending disappointing? I thought it was very fitting.

Where was it I read the description of Schafer's style (I think it was around here), something about the brilliant mix of humor and emotion.

I think you mean the Xbox Nation article,

‘Like Schafer himself, Psychonauts is deeply goofy with shreds of genuine emotion squeezed in between the gags.’

I think the ending is great, its very emotional as it stands, but knowing that the game is over and probably nothing like it will ever be created again makes me feel sad. The obvious solution to that is to play it through again. I guess thats why I've played it through 6 times (maybe 7...atleast once a year though). Playing it has almost become a custom, personally I cannot wait for the pocket pc GRIME engine so I can play it on my PDA.

Nothing beats Grim.

Grim Fanwhatnow?

You die now.

I've played it a total of 8 times. Every time I notice something new. It is my personal Favorite Game Ever.

I vote this place need Grim Fandango smilies. If it can afford the rights to Mr. T's face...

Ok, that is not funny. I am trying to reform my fundamentalist roots here folks! Making me think about Grim Fandango smileys is not a good way to help me on my twelve-step journey towards secularism.

Why did you find the ending disappointing? I thought it was very fitting.

I'm not entirely sure, but I guess for one thing I thought it was a tad short. Now, I'm one of those people who only consider the ending cinematic to be the real ending. The end game was great. Returning to previous locations at a later time is always cool in games. Also, I guess I don't feel it was as emotional and deep and poetic (or whatever... you know what I mean!) as it had the potential to be, and was at several places in the game. The synchro-recitation at the moon with the captain in Rubacava, for example, is one of the beaootifulest moments in gaming, ever. I guess I thought the ending should be the most emotional sequences of all in the game, but I didn't feel that it was. Even the part where Manny has to say goodbye to Glottis wasn't as touching as it could've been.

yea, I found the ending more silly than really something special, I remeber and love suff from earler in the game more than I do the ending, but I can't expect A+++++++++++ work from a game at all times. I couldn't think of a better ending anyway.

The stuff leading up to the ending is amazing though, with

Salvador's tooth bomb double cross, and reaping him with the flowers flying up and stuff... why is this spoilered? I don't know. I'd like to think there is maybe one person on these forums not from AG or Mojo who also hasn't yet played Grim... anywqy

so yeah.. if you limit your definition of "the end" to the actual end cutscene I am sad for you. That's just you being too conditioned by most games which in fact have zero story until the end cutscene. I think the events in the final act's puzzles are rewarding enough that they don't have to rely on 8 hours of cutscene to make me feel good and satisfied. But that's just me. And you're right that that last cutscene was a bit short :)

That train cutscene boggled my mind the first time I saw it. That served as a pseudo-ending for one of the games sub-plots, you know? Alot of times in movies and games you don't really care what happnes to the bad guy(s) but when that cutscene rolled I was like "fuck yeah!",sweet sweet justice.

The last cut-scene was short, yeah, but... so what? The final scene in Casablanca

with Rick doing his little speech and then walking away - if this is a spoiler for you I pity you... :mrt:

is short too, but that's still one of the more famous movie endings of all time.

Everything in the game needs to be viewed in context of every part of the story, so I don't really see why the last cut-scene needs to be superbly large.

It's not that it was short, it just wasn't deep. You get a few jokes and a corny phrase. Probably one of the bast ever in video games but not the best in the best game.

I'm glad it wan't long either, don't want to end the game on a sour note.

You know, Manny did a tap dance then Glottis farted. It was hilarious. Peter Jackson was credited as "Cinematics Consultant".

You know, Manny did a tap dance then Glottis farted. It was hilarious. Peter Jackson was credited as "Cinematics Consultant".

I thought it was the big sword fight number... "I am Manny Calavera... you killed my father.... prepare to die.

goddamn it.

i just read this thread and tried to install it again on xppro, but i cant.

i played it on xphome a while ago, but now the thing wont even install. i cant even find a clue what to do.

bollox.JPG

compatibility,... yeah yeah.

ps check out the new trailer for rots game on lucasarts.com

I have the same issues Baconian. :-/ Maybe one of these days when I'm not strung out on WoW I'll try again. I luv me some GF.

BTW, did you get that to work?