Sign in to follow this  
Salka

Prove that you're smarter than me!

I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Hahaha! Prove that you're smarter than Yufster! That should be dead easy! Hahaha!"

Well, now you've gone and made a statement like that, you better come through or else you're gonna look real dumb.

Here's the problem. I was going to bed, and then I remembered, whoops! I have homework! And Math! So I took out all my notes and everything and sat curled up for about ten minutes before I realized I wasn't thinking anything. Nothing made enough sense to even begin thinking about it.

question1.jpg

Here's the question, deliciously sketched for you on dodgy-looking A4 lined paper (it's off-colour because of the scanner, but usually it is a creamy white colour).

Now, I figured I'd be intelligent (whoa!) and look back on my notes from Friday. Here's what I have for the entirety of my Trigonometry notes so far:

homework1.jpg

Whoops! I have absolutely no idea what any of this means! I think I see 'triangle' spelled without an L, but that's about it. Does this even relate to the homework? What was I thinking when I unconsciously took these notes? What do they mean? I think they might be important.

So, unless you solve that question you're going to look mighty dumb, far, far dumber than me. And let's face it; nobody wants that.

I started to pity you, so here goes.

I'm guessing that it's a 20, NOT a 10. And that the angle is A.

(i)tan 60 = x/8

x=8xtan 60

x=13.856...

x=13.9

(ii)sin A = x/20

A=arcsin(x/20)

Because x=13.856...

A=43.853...

A=44

Now you can copy it.

Deadworm, of ALL people...

I mean, uh... yeah. Yeah, right. Okay.

"The poor tailor ... he's an awfully nice fellow, he's a rather flamboyant dude," Rove said. "I'm not going to use his name, but he's just — he's horrified. And, you know, it's — there was nothing there."

Whoops! For some reason, I actually had a quote from Bush's campaign director in clipboard, instead of THIS:

(i)tan 60 = x/8

x=13.856...

x=13.9

I got as far as Tan 60 = x/8. I got as far as the first line! My problem is, where the heck did 13.856 come from?!?

< Trep gives Rusalka $5 and Tim Schafer's personal cell phone number with the last 3 digits missing to do all Trep's math problems for him for the rest of his life >

Now, who's the smartest of all, arsewipe?! :sombrero:

I got as far as Tan 60 = x/8. I got as far as the first line! My problem is, where the heck did 13.856 come from?!?

:finger:

tan 60 = x/8

=>x=8*tan 60

Deadworm made an error. A= 40 degrees. x = 13.9 ,not 18.blablabla.

The 13,9 comes from x=8 * tan(60) ie. 8 * 1,blabla

I only MARKED it wrong in (ii). I used the correct numbers, though, as they were in my calculator's memory. I blame the fact that it was 3 o'clock in the morning.

And it says "to the nearest degree". :finger:

Thank god I'm at uni where nobody cares of such trivialities.

The correct answer is of course; mathematics sucks and it'd be wiser to waste your precious time uncovering the truths of life instead of trying to capture it in absolute figures (and, coincidentally, absolute nonsense).

If only I could decypher what you've written there I might have been able to give you an entirely wrong answer. But since I can't even do that I have to say I'm not as smarts as people think I am. :blink:

And it says "to the nearest degree". :finger:

Well, there are 4 degrees between 40 and 44 :P

So what? It means that the smallest unit you can use is ONE DEGREE. Not TENS of degrees. (Though looking at the other numbers 40 would make more sense.)

I do know a dutch trick to remember when to use sin, cos or tan:

SOS = sinus is overstaande zijde gedeeld door schuine zijde

CAS = cosinus is aanliggende zijde gedeeld door schuine zijde

TOA = tangent is overstaande zijde gedeeld door aanliggende zijde

samen wordt dat SOS CASTOA

Sos = sine opposite side has been shared by slanting side

CAS = cosine holding course side has been shared by slanting side

TOA = tangent opposite side has been shared by holding course side together becomes that sos CASTOA

My own translation gives:

SOS = sine is the opposite side devided by slanting side

CAS = cosine is the adjacent side devided by slanting side

TOA = tangent is the opposite side devided by adjacent side

together this becomes: SOS CASTOA

Dutchies of the forums unite! Help me translate 'ezelsbruggetje' to proper english! (not 'small donkeybridge')

Here's a better donkey bridge.

np02-3-27-donkey_bridge-l.jpg

Yufster has an innate talent to steer even the most mundane topics to the most bizarre avenues by simply being present in a thread. :deadman:

So what? It means that the smallest unit you can use is ONE DEGREE. Not TENS of degrees. (Though looking at the other numbers 40 would make more sense.)

Damn. No you were right. I don't see where I got 40. I was almost certain I entered the right numbers in my calculator perviously. But I tried again now and 44 is correct. Weird.

always interesting to read what the rest of the world is doing in maths...

maths was cool. really cool. and our test results were cool. really cool. in a scale from 1 (=best) to 5 (=uhoh...) --> 1 (~5 % of the people in our class), 2 (~2 %), 3 (~20 %), 4 (~50 %), 5 (the ugly rest)

but, hey, we also did examples with triangles. but they were much cooler. this thread intented me to post this funny 10-pages-example, where i stopped writing after the third page...have a look!

btw...but the cooles subject was phyiscs! 40-50 % failures in every test...i could write ages about physics and my insane 'learn-tactics'...

school is over now. thank god!

post-168-13375602778429_thumb.jpg

Yufster has an innate talent to steer even the most mundane topics to the most bizarre avenues by simply being present in a thread. :deadman:

Man, just like Republicans, Christians, and God, when something goes wrong you turn around and blame somebody else. You guys are full of shit. I'm leaving.

Man, just like Republicans, Christians, and God, when something goes wrong you turn around and blame somebody else. You guys are full of shit. I'm leaving.
That was a compliment, you whore. Go hump a globe or something.

That looks like leaving cert (pass?) maths!

I have often made use of the mnemonic SOHCAHTOA

meaning:

Sin = opposite/hypotenuse

Cos = adjacent/hypotenuse

Tan = opposite/adjacent

In case you don't know (and you're in real trouble if you don't), the hypotenuse is the side across from a right angle, the opposite is the side across from the angle you're working on, and the adjacent is the one left over.

Just don't talk to me about hyperbolic functions

Do you do calculus this year?

Leaving Cert Honours, thank you very much. And yes, I know Sohcahtoa, and yes I know what the hypotenuse is.

What the hell do you take me for???

That was a compliment, you whore. Go hump a globe or something.

Yeah, but you guys always say that and it's not fair because it's not always me because sometimes it's other people but they still blame me so everybody thinks that I'm a topic-changer or a spammer or something even though I'm not even the one that does half the spamming because other people spam but then they blame me so I look like a spammer even though it's not me it's them doing the spamming and blaming me and that's not fair because then I look like a spammer even though it's them doing the spamming and then blaming it all on me and it's just not fair.