Ben X

[Release] Alpha Magus

Released!

https://warlockpreserve.itch.io/alpha-magus

Alpha_Magus_Logo.png

@Brett E, @Mythalore @Travis @phill @Ganz and I are making Alpha Magus,

a first-person-explorer where you travel into a fantasy-themed cyber-realm ruled over by a rogue AI called The Wizard.

We've nailed down some basic design in preparation, and we're trying to keep it modular so we can add or remove elements like characters or puzzles as we go, without having to rework everything else.

I'm looking forward to this!

Do you need any player-facing "billboard" sprites (ala Doom)? It might be cool to do some overtly thumbs related art for the final jam.

Quick update:

The dev team has grown by two: Phill has joined our art dept, and Ganz is now our audio dept! There are now 6 of us, which is the biggest dev team I've ever worked with!

We're still feeling our way around how everything will be put together. We've designed the first couple of puzzles and characters, to implement as a tester for our design structure and workflow - hopefully if there are any big issues we'll spot them at this early stage and adjust accordingly. Currently the big questions are around player death, level size and character models.

The overall structure is taking shape nicely, though - you start off in a small real-world location, quickly enter the cyber-world, have a linear encounter or two and then the world opens up, requiring you to complete a few non-linear objectives before confronting The Wizard and completing the game.

Almost at the halfway point now, and we're making a fair amount of progress. The game structure is: opening area with a small puzzle - main space with one small puzzle then opening up into four or so solve-in-any-order puzzles that, once completed, lead you to the end confrontation. The design for all the puzzles have been nailed down except the end confrontation, plus we've got 4 characters with first-draft dialogue and some modelling done. There will be at least 3 more characters, then we'll see how much time we have to add in any more. Plus we'd like to add more optional content in the main space, but we'll see how it goes.

Time to show off some work! We've got a game logo (edited into the top of this thread), and a team logo:

Team_Logo_1.png

The main space is going to be a mix of cyber and fantasy, so we're testing out some looks for the terrain:

unknown.png

And we've got some models and animation going:

sprite_float.gif

All very exciting!

I love what you have so far! The stumbling model guy looks cool and the terrain/POV reminds me of an early 3d JRPG worldmap like FF7.

I'm glad a biggish team of Wizard Jammers has come together! With a logo and everything! Maybe you guys will develop past the jam and Continue The Legacy...who knows?!

Thanks!

We now have a rough cut of the opening moments of the game:

A quick clip from the latest build, which sums up the game in microcosm!

This is coming on leaps and bounds, but we're probably going to take advantage of Wizard Jam's legendary flexibility, and not release until Showcase Weekend. Even though we were mindful of scope in the initial design stages, we still ended up taking on a pretty big project!

We've made a few updates to the game to fix some bugs we came across in case you tried it and got stuck.

Also, if this happens, let us know! We have a couple other tweaks waiting for release and might as well fix anything you find at the same time.