Sign in to follow this  
nkornek

[Release] Nick Promises this is not a Paid Endorsement

Nick Promises this is not a Paid Endorsement is now available!

https://nkornek.itch.io/nptisnape

For this Wizard Jam, I wanted to make something pretty unique: the world's first FPS game. By that, of course, I mean a First-Person-Shirter.

The alien Blandoids have attacked the earth with their powerful unfashionable technology. The only way to stop them: render them stylish by fully covering them in your brand's merch.

The idea for Nick Promises this is not a Paid Endorsement is to make a split-screen co-op shooter where one player wields a T-Shirt Cannon and the other a Hat Cannon. Aliens aren't defeated until they are fully merchandized, so if an alien has 6 arms and 2 heads that means you need to get 3 shirts and 2 hats on it by targeting specific parts on its body.

D_NYIwQXYAAD4Fw.thumb.jpg.c47482d89ff8c314acbe1d4fbe997e7b.jpg

Players MUST work together to defeat every enemy and collect money from merch sales. They will then be able to spend this money to build the ultimate merch cannon to take down the Blandoid mothership before it's too late.

(This is based on the "Flonase Allergy Relief (Nick promises this is not a paid endorsement)" theme)

Made some really good progress today. Say hello to the very first Blandoid soldier!

5d2a46f63ecc4_Blandoid1.thumb.PNG.90024cddf89db691eca426957d04583a.PNG5d2a46f81f643_Blandoid2.thumb.PNG.8b01cf59d1fdec4ed74ee8cbdb65dd19.PNG

This looks amazing already!

I think those aliens would probably really enjoy photic sneezing.

Some more awesome progress. Today I implemented the basic game controls and added shirts to the blandoid soldier I made yesterday.

Demo_small.gif.996b7791431aae14489df6baa79ae0a3.gif

Didn't have nearly as much time to work on this over the past week as I would have liked. Gonna try and rush to get the basic loop in over the next week and then probably keep working on it after the jam because I love the idea so much.

Say hello to my slightly smaller friend!

Introducing the Brand! Industries MLN-R Hat Cannon.

Never let a customer go without a free hat or three.

CAUTION: Aim for the Head
Demo2_small.gif.a4b701c85dee0dabc17738c78cc2e191.gif

This is so cool! I actually really like the idea of needing specific tools to hit specific sections of an 'enemy'. It's not something you generally see in a traditional FPS, but it looks to be a really neat mechanic. Also your modelling is super sweet mate, damn.

Oh man, awesome! I thought you gave the eyes their own shirts for a sec. Are some of those eyes jet engines...?

FPS is in the middle of a revival right now, and I think this is just a wild enough idea that you could get some real traction with it if you developed it some more. It's a genius way of making a non-violent shooter.

Hmm...um I guess it's his arms replaced by engines? Will they fly around?

I think it would be cool to have a real angry intimidating Goro-like monster to shirt. He's so mad and the only thing that makes him happy is novelty clothing.

Thanks! Yeah, I really want to keep working on it after the jam.

The jet-engine looking things are meant to be weapons. The enemies will be trying to shoot at you to make you drop your money Sonic-style.

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT!

Demo3.gif.12e18be6d8186ab106fb0558f91615f9.gif

Sadly I don't think I'll be finished by the end of the day (life got in the way a lot over the past 2 weeks) but I think I can get a fully playable version before the showcase weekend.

It's the final rush to the end!

Had a bit of time tonight to make a quick arena layout. And by that I mean it kind of looks like a Quake 3 Arena map

arena.thumb.png.075e2073c2b28484b1ff1e0f8c5eb00b.png

The only complicated thing left to do now is program in some enemy behaviours!

So close to finished now. My enemy AI is finished, so that's the hardest part done. Last thing is to finish implementing player damage (which is about 80% done already) and then put in some basic menus and stuff.

On track to be finished tomorrow which is great because I need to get on a plane Thursday morning.

The shooting mechanic is pretty fun and the designs of the Blandoids and t-shirt gun are nice. The biggest quibble I have is that the most difficult part of the game is not actually the shooting or dodging, but picking up the coins after. Once you get going there is basically no point at which there isn't a Blandoid shooting at you, so it's easy to get hit while running after coins.

On 04/08/2019 at 10:06 AM, Teljoor said:

The shooting mechanic is pretty fun and the designs of the Blandoids and t-shirt gun are nice. The biggest quibble I have is that the most difficult part of the game is not actually the shooting or dodging, but picking up the coins after. Once you get going there is basically no point at which there isn't a Blandoid shooting at you, so it's easy to get hit while running after coins.

Yeah, I'm thinking of adding a bit of a magnet effect on the coins that enemies drop (with a much weaker one on the coins you drop when hit) to help with this.

Sign in to follow this