brendonsmall

[RELEASED] The Convergence Compulsion

On 6/14/2018 at 4:56 PM, brendonsmall said:

Full "Rigidbody on a bouncy head cam" might be too much though.

follow your dreams

Turrets now have line of sight that make more sense. They can see through glass, and will try to shoot you if they can. If the glass is breakable, you're going to have a bad time:

I also added some visual indicators above their head MGS-style so it's clearer what they're doing. They'll also follow you for a little while, and if they lose track for long enough hey will give up and resume their patrol. :devil:

That looks more and more solid with each update! :tup:

... is that a leaning mechanic like in Alien: Isolation or Soma? 

17 hours ago, fabian said:

That looks more and more solid with each update! :tup:

... is that a leaning mechanic like in Alien: Isolation or Soma? 

No, no leaning yet, but it's on the list of things to do. I feel like some envelope pushing peek-a-boo with an angry robot sentry might be a fun time. It might be good to have a more forgiving line of sight timeout if the player is leaning, to make their sneakiness get rewarded a bit and reflect that their capsule is semantically a bit more hidden even though it really isn't.

Leaning!

SneakyBoots.gif.8dffaa9f6530c3e51d15c67cf795889d.gif

Among other things, I am using the UFPS asset for this project, and it's so far very nice to work with. Leaning doesn't come with it by default, but implementing it was pretty straightforward (less than an hour!)

I am always impressed when gameplay develops with purely greyboxed assets. Great job, lol, this looks like a real game

15 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

Leaning!

SneakyBoots.gif.8dffaa9f6530c3e51d15c67cf795889d.gif

Among other things, I am using the UFPS asset for this project, and it's so far very nice to work with. Leaning doesn't come with it by default, but implementing it was pretty straightforward (less than an hour!)

Very cool! :tup: Also, good idea to be a little more forgiving when the player is leaning. How far are you planning to take the game visually (I mean these game dev textures are a nice aesthetic on their own, don't get me wrong!)

Today I got the crouching line of sight stuff working a bit better and fixed some edge case bugs. Tomorrow I think I want to take a crack at the hacking mechanism and build out the few levels I made with the paper prototype.

8 hours ago, fabian said:

Very cool! :tup: Also, good idea to be a little more forgiving when the player is leaning. How far are you planning to take the game visually (I mean these game dev textures are a nice aesthetic on their own, don't get me wrong!)

Probably not super far for the jam itself. It'll probably look like this, give or take. But if the game plays well, I want to commercialize it at which point I will probably need to figure out funding for an artist (and all that jazz) or "git gud" and make my own art.

So the hacking tool works in a basic format (UX is dev quality still), but I did some playing around and made a real life puzzle with the two core player tools :D

I've now got to figure out how to present the hacking tool interface in a better way, and support the other types of hackable things that are not turrets, don't have remote camera feeds, etc.

I am still hoping to get a basic set of levels done for the end of the jam, even if they are contrived as heck :)

20 hours ago, coughlinjon said:

woah, that is a gorgeous feature. Great job :) 

19 hours ago, thepaulhoey said:

This is looking really cool! I love a first person puzzle game.

2 hours ago, SharedControl said:

FPS stealth with leaning? I'm on board!

Thanks all, I think this is kind of shaping up into a real thing :)

I also started on the tutorial levels. They are a bit literal, but get the job done:

Added this "lightning bolt" this afternoon. It has a small "buzz" sound as well so it should be clearer when something can be seen by the hacking computer :)

HackingBolt.gif.4f54a644d521efae1b648a76b87e74b6.gif

The "I'm not a robot" test in the tutorial is on point :tup:

This looks to be shaping up really, really nicely. Can't wait to play it.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:36 PM, pdotjpg said:

The "I'm not a robot" test in the tutorial is on point :tup:

This looks to be shaping up really, really nicely. Can't wait to play it.

It was one of the first things I thought of for the game, and it made me laugh :)

On 6/20/2018 at 5:41 PM, coughlinjon said:

so much Brendon Chung in this game. I absolutely love it.

I am trying really hard to not be a total ripoff while offering something fun and new. Blendo Games are among my most favourite ever :D

Got lots of work done today, but nothing for a gif or whatever. But I'm ready to package it, and want to squeeze in a couple more levels if I can.

Unfortunately I don't think there will be a ton of non-tutorial levels, as those require a bit more time than I have for the jam, but I'm keen to get some feedback on the jam version of the game to make sure it's on the right track :)

1 hour ago, brendonsmall said:

I am trying really hard to not be a total ripoff while offering something fun and new. Blendo Games are among my most favourite ever :D

lol you do not have to apologize to the guy whose character model is this: https://www.joncoughlin.com/ about riffing on Blendo Games

Just played it. Very polished and nice gameplay.

Are you gonna keep working on it and adding art and levels? This has potential!

I'm really hoping you did the voice acting!

Really liked the tutorial UI and the lean. The camera movement on crouch and lean really sells the effect.

I would click the throw noise device button and sometimes it wouldn't throw, I'm not sure if that's a bug. And I felt the 3 devices could have their button inputs merged, like left click to interact, hold left to aim sound device, and right click to bring out sir hackalot. Did get stuck on the bullet proof glass level though.

Nice clean presentation, like if Brendon Chung made Portal. Totally took a selfie with the hacked turret, by which I mean I shot myself and died (was hoping to shoot another turret).