Jake

Idle Thumbs 306: Nick Breckons: 1, Mackle: More

2 hours ago, Xtanstic said:

Please tell me someone has a link to Nick's old Ratsofatso's avatar

IMG_0183.JPG

Any ideas on what Nick's Zelda endgame 'spoiler' is referring to? (Don't you just defeat Ganon and save the princess like all the others..?) I'm not going to get a Switch but it's been interesting hearing about it.

The long con to usurp someone's plane ticket sounds really different now vs the time it was recorded. Time, man.

I have what I assumed was a relatively uncommon name, until I got invited to a Facebook group made up entirely of dozens of people with my full name. It's not like it's John Smith or Mike Williams, thankfully enough. I've gotten plenty of emails from car dealerships telling me to renew the warranty on a car I don't own. The weirdest set of emails were broken into two sets - someone emailing me extremely religious stuff about being missionaries and proselytizing Christianity, and also a series of emails literal years apart where someone emailed me and asked if they should enlist in the armed forces, since I was in the Marine Corps. Then years later I got an invitation to MyName's promotion ceremony to Major.

I have definitely written back to these people because they're both very personal messages and I also want absolutely no part in those conversations.

Breckon is an unusual name, eh? And yet TWO of them have set up an estate agent in Oxford (snapped this the other day before listening to the cast casting that 'cast)..

BRECKX2.jpg

Oh, and I have the "getting other people's email" a load too - the burden of a very common name, and nabbing it first on twitter and outlook.com. 

At least I'm not called something like George Osborn though...

you guys should just do what i do and use some made up bullshit as an email address. You don't get emails thinking you're some stranger, and all you have to do in return is slowly spell it out to people several times each week.

People would occasionally email a different person with my name by mistake, and the guy was always really pissy about it; despite being able to see in the emails that I had given the correct address, he'd always just forward it to me with a "stop giving people my address". I made the stupid mistake of slagging him off on a forum while using the actual email addresses to illustrate. He must have ego-surfed or something because he then sent me an aggro reply that heavily implied he'd found the post. I also suddenly started receiving a ton of spam, so I'm pretty sure he signed me up to some shitty newsletters. I emailed an apology but pointed out that if he had just been civil in the first place none of this would have happened. We now very civilly forward emails onto each other on the rare occasion we receive the other Ben's mail!