Sign in to follow this  
Jake

MS Word and the meaning of life

Okay so I just got an rtf file from someone at work and tried to make a change when Word produced the following error:

worderror.jpg

Contemplate the meaning of that, and explain it to me.

Has anyone else got mysterious and/or hilarious errors laying around?

Corel Draw 4 asks: "Do you want to do this, this or this?" and gives the options "Yes" "No" "Cancel". This is in the Finnish version only, though.

Alright, I don't have an hilarious error to contribute. But I had to say this somewhere. Your avatar... you look like Sean Connery in it. I'm sorry. I've wanted to say that for ages. You probably don't even really look like him, but I think you do. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But there you have it.

Oh, wait. I do love that one error message I get sometimes when doing various different things. It's simply a big question mark and a blank box, and a "yes" or "no". If I recall correctly, I mostly get it when trying to install games. I mean, what am I agreeing to here?

I once had an error that just said:

An error has occured.

With a single button, which said "OK".

Windows HAS easter eggs. 98 had many...

And if I remember correctly, one version of Exel had Microsoft Flight Simulator hidden into it.

I have a screenshot somewhere of an error message saying "Catastrophic error! Operation complete."

Wasn't exactly a flight simulator, just this landscape you could zoom around a bit.. there were some credits and stuff there as well..

http://www.eggheaven2000.com/detailed/17.html

The best error ever is the one you probably still get if you boot a pc without a keyboard plugged in :

Keyboard failure, press F1 to continue

or something along those lines

That may be an urban legend though. I've had many times that my PC didn't recognize the keyboard and it just said Keyboard Failure.

not all PCs do this.. but I've seen variations on the :

"Keyboard broken/missing/failed/abducted by aliens, press <key> to continue"

theme on /many/ an occasion. It's true! You can trust me! :blink:

I wondered why XP didn't have easter eggs in it, since other Windows versions have had so many. I finally found the answer when I searched:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/23057/23057.html

To supply certain government agencies with software, Microsoft can't include undocumented features, including Easter eggs, in its software. As a result, no Easter eggs exist in XP.

The "Keyboard failure, press F1 to continue" isn't really that funny, because it's obvious you are to connect the keyboard properly and then press F1.

The "Keyboard failure, press F1 to continue" isn't really that funny, because it's obvious you are to connect the keyboard properly and then press F1.

What if it already is connected? ;(

Not computer related, but there's a sign on a cafeteria door that claims it's open "Mon-Thu 8.00-15.10 Mon-Tue 9.00-17.00".

What are they trying to say? The sad thing is tat I would have wanted to eat there, but didn't know if it was open or just closing or if there was a leather party going on... Asking this is out of the question, because that would (possibly) mean humiliating yourself completely in front of a whole cafeteria. I hate things like that. People with no sense of punctuality should be executed.

Which reminds me, I was half an hour late today for a meeting...

What if it already is connected? ;(

You have to get a new computer.

This was mysterious. Not an error message BUT... As I was using Open Office suddenly this message appeared: "HP Registration Reminder: Registering your new product ensures quick and accurate technical support. You will also instantly receive Jixxa." [Emphasis mine.] Jixxa? It was (is) late so I found it hilarious.

Not computer related, but there's a sign on a cafeteria door that claims it's open "Mon-Thu 8.00-15.10 Mon-Tue 9.00-17.00".

I write programs like that sometimes.

It's sort of inefficient in terms of processing, but it saves memory overhead and it's pretty elegant.

Like:

this is in psuedocode, not a formal language.

opening hours := "0";
if day = Mon-Thur {
 opening hours += "8 - 15:10";
}
if day = Mon-Tue {
 opening hours += "9 - 17";
}
return opening hours;

only problem with that is that it has to do 3 tests and up to 3 assignments, but it's good for the memory.

I always got that error in EMI that said "Congradulations you have discovered an error" I heard a couple other people claim to get this but it didn't affect them. For me it pissed all over my game and made it run about 1 frame every 5 seconds, which makes it hard to accomplish anything. The fact that it did it every time I ever did the final battle (except once) made it worse. I beat the game once. Freakin error.

Windows HAS easter eggs. 98 had many...

And if I remember correctly, one version of Exel had Microsoft Flight Simulator hidden into it.

No it didnt. It had a pinball game. But ... may be some old version....

That was WOOHOOORRD

My most beloved error is when I tried to start Windows Media Player then this text popped up: Internal application error.

I uninstalled it then, installed it again and it still occured.

Is this then still an ''Internal application error''? :erm:

It's an easter egg!
Our programs no longer have any errors! Yay!

Enjoy the complimentary easter eggs.