shallow_depths

[released] Avocado Smash

I've been quiet just because there's a lot to get done.  But things are pretty much coming together and I'm hoping to submit tomorrow.  Also, couldn't resist playing with some dodgy box art.

avosmash box art.png

Looking forward to trying everyone's stuff, you're all amazing.

14 hours ago, shallow_depths said:

I have no easy way to test the mac or linux version so if someone could let me know if they work that would be lovely.

Worked fine for me on Ubuntu 16.04!

Also, this game has a really great look to it, I love the photo-collage faces.

18 hours ago, shallow_depths said:

Okay, this is up on itch.io now. https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-4/rate/101651

I have no easy way to test the mac or linux version so if someone could let me know if they work that would be lovely.

Works and plays perfect on Mac!

Well done, love that ziney effect on the characters

Really sharp, both in its presentation and satire. I enjoyed the growing realisation of who you're playing and their outlook on the world.

Would have been nice to have some kind of audio bed, but otherwise very slick.

I took me a couple of play-throughs before I really understood my role. I do enjoy the premise of playing as a journalist who is trying to angle a piece towards hating on the subject using the leverage of socially conservative norms (I'd find an expectation of socially liberal norms just as interesting). It's a neat mechanic/narrative for villainy. I enjoyed approaching each interaction as a muck-raker. Personally I thought the voicing of the subject-choices to be too explicit. I felt that presenting the choices as transparent motivations misses an opportunity to express the player-character's motives and methods and misses the opportunity to allow the player to do a little conceptual work. I would have enjoyed looking at specific phrasing of the questions and creating hypothesis about how they were crafted to make the interviewee feel open enough to admit to their own snobbery or whatever. That  said, the way it is now does express a professional efficiency and indifference in making local hipsters look bad for the paper.

Also, I was reminded of Glory Days of the Free Press.

There are several more sophisticated versions I could imagine that would be interesting to play around with. I hadn't thought about obscuring motives, but I can see how that might be cool.

My politics are naturally reflected here, but one thing that would be interesting to explore further is that the people you are interviewing totally do have ideas worth criticising, but they're completely obscured in this format where it's all about churning out hit pieces.

Man, shallow_depths, as an Australian on the cusp of being a milennial (I think I'm technically gen Y), and someone who has sold out my bright future for overpriced poached eggs on smashed avo, I applaud you for this game.  I saw Phil playing it on the vod of his stream and it was so enjoyable, you definitely captured Melbourne cafe culture perfectly. 

I think we should make sure when the thumbs stream this that there's some Aussies to provide context, really great work!