stackel

[RELEASE] LPBs and HPBs

The game is now released!
Download it here:
 https://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam-2016/rate/68486
EDIT: The game is now a bit easier and a lot more playable.

"It feels like yesterday the ping war began, yet it has gone so far that
all hope seems lost. The high ping bastards (HPBs) have, with
their ruthless and efficient warfare, reduced the low ping bastards (LPBs)
to one last single human. By faking high ping in multiplayer games
they have easily won them all. It is up to you , the last standing LPB, to stop them.
You are holed up in your basement and you open the only box that is there. 
Carefully you take your old LAN-computer from the 90's and plug it in. 
It is time to save humanity by restoring low ping."

LPBs and HPBs is a first person arena shooter where everyone else is lagging. Navigate the levels and predict your enemies movement to survive and rescue the planet.

This is my first time entering this jam and im really excited even though there's only a few days left! I will be jamming in unity with some simple low-poly models made in blender.

I wanted this to have some kind of meta-layer by you actually sitting at a monitor which is the first thing i did. 
Not sure how to embed gifs so ill just link it!
hV7IbO.gif

This looks fantastic :). Good luck with the jam and welcome to the forums!

Thank you!

Bonus "Something went wrong" gif. 

570yCYx.gif

I like the oldskool "s" on the monitor :P

It's so weird, I was showing my 6 year old how to draw that last night.

I love those character models. They look like an untextured Manny Calavera to me, somehow..

Update day 2:Since yesterday I've had a lot of trouble making out what the actual gameplay of this thing is. To figure it out i played around in unity and the in fiction game is now "Dodgeball Death", a free for all, first person ball shooter. Oh, and when you die in game, you die in real life. (EDIT: To clarify, that's why your life is displayed on a heart rate monitor to the right of the screen)

Massive GIF warning: 
2SpSFo5.gif

This is looking awesome!

Will the mouse on the table move when your mouse in the game moves?

...Now that I think about that, it would be really hard to design a system where it animates as being picked up and put back down to cover the infinite spin case you can and do use when playing a first person game. And then it might trigger weird hand disconnect feelings when those can't reasonably line up.

This is looking awesome!

Will the mouse on the table move when your mouse in the game moves?

...Now that I think about that, it would be really hard to design a system where it animates as being picked up and put back down to cover the infinite spin case you can and do use when playing a first person game. And then it might trigger weird hand disconnect feelings when those can't reasonably line up.

Thank you! 

Thinking about implementing that just made my brain hurt a little. It would be impossible to know when the actual mouse is picked up and animate accordingly!

Actually, what a weird thing to do with a peripheral. I wonder if people did the lifting thing intuitively when mouse look first came around in games. I'm not sure you really do it when just browsing your OS. I could be wrong about that, It's not really something you think about! (I'm on a laptop at the moment and cant try it!)

Man, that's a good idea. Maybe you couldn't do the full picking up animation but I bet you could just make the mouse appear on the opposite side of the mousepad if it moves too close to the edge. Then again it's not long to the end of the jam and you probably have more important features!

A bit of progress today! Added some simple UI elements and created enemy spawners and a health pickup!

GIFtastic as usual: 
FdPsP5m.gif

Man, that's a good idea. Maybe you couldn't do the full picking up animation but I bet you could just make the mouse appear on the opposite side of the mousepad if it moves too close to the edge. Then again it's not long to the end of the jam and you probably have more important features!

It's a cool idea, hopefully i will have time for that in the 2-3 hour polishing phase  :tup:

In the age of VR where you can watch a movie, or see your desktop through a headset, there is something especially comforting and nastolgic about playing a game through a CRT monitor in a game.

For the lore-nuts that is interested in the rich and deep lore of LPBs and HPBs!

Currently I'm working on menus and some polishing, looking forward to sending this in tonight! 

HoEuVhQ.png

I liked the story in this; the absurdity of the premise, and that the one game the entire planet would become dangerously addicted to would be a dodgeball game made me laugh. I completed it on my second attempt! I liked how the HPBs would just jerkily snap into different locations and poses.

I liked the story in this; the absurdity of the premise, and that the one game the entire planet would become dangerously addicted to would be a dodgeball game made me laugh. I completed it on my second attempt! I liked how the HPBs would just jerkily snap into different locations and poses.

Thank you! Second try is impressive, have you played a lot of virtual desktop dodgeball games? 

Also I had a lot of fun making the premise as stupid as possible!

Yo yo yo yo yo yo it's yr boy PR here with some sick LPB strats.

Sweet Pro TipHide behind the wall and just throw balls over it. You won't see your enemies but you'll see their numbers start to decline. Don't even fuck with the R&G, compadre.

Yo yo yo yo yo yo it's yr boy PR here with some sick LPB strats.

Sweet Pro TipHide behind the wall and just throw balls over it. You won't see your enemies but you'll see their numbers start to decline. Don't even fuck with the R&G, compadre.

If this was a youtube video I would instantly file for a DMCA takedown. 

(RADICAL PLAYS BRO)

I really liked the little men you were balling and the computer setup! The lag was well representative of my time spent on WoW launch days.

After seeing Spenny play the game on his stream (https://www.twitch.tv/spennydubz) i realized how completly unintuitive it is that you are faster than the ball. Thankfully it was an easy fix and the game is now a lot more playable!

EDIT: Also it was stupidly hard so i lowered the amount of enemies a bit!