Henke

[Release] In Search Of Paradise

It is done!

https://henke.itch.io/in-search-of-paradise

A big thanks to my collaborators root, Akidu and badatstuff. This was a fun experience and I really enjoyed the challenge of finishing a game in this amount of time. :)

------------------------------Original post------------------------------

I'm making a game based on the Idle Weekend episode "In Search of (Burnout) Paradise".

ISOP_GIF02.gif

root made me these lovely car and cactus models. So far I've made a bit of terrain, some dust particles kicking up in the distance, and a rudimentary day/night system. Next up: car physics!

Oh sweet, a thread wherein I can post the models I've been working on.  Yeah I made these assets for Henke's game! They still need some textures put on them though.  Also I had some flipped normals on the tire geometry which appear to be visible in the first gif, in that there's parts of the tires that are transparent where they should not be.

cacti.png

camaro.png

Jeez, this is already looking really beautiful thanks to the landscape and those sweet models!

This looks fantastic! The atmosphere in those screens is really nice.

ISOP_GIF04.gif

Latest additions:

-Destructible cacti

-car physics

-skidmarks & exhaust particles

-special cinematic gas station camera

-some environmental models and textures done.

[HELP REQUEST] Anyone know where I can get some car sounds? Having a hard time finding anything.

Are you going for the limited palate diversifier, or is that awesome funky shader action just how it's turning out?

That "shader" is just in the GIF, to keep it down to 1MB. :)

And yeah I specifically asked root to make me a car that kinda looks like the one in Interstate 76. :D It is most definitely a strong influence on this game.

That "shader" is just in the GIF, to keep it down to 1MB. :)

And yeah I specifically asked root to make me a car that kinda looks like the one in Interstate 76. :D It is most definitely a strong influence on this game.

Is that the game that the car you showed me was from?  I'm not familiar, so I'm glad it hit in the vicinity of the target.

How do you plan on integrating engine sounds? I might be able to make you some sounds but I'm not sure how to handle pitch change length between gear shifts etc. 

I'm not sure. Nothing too complicated tho. If you can get me a steady idle sound and a steady higher-RPM sound(preferably sounds that loop nicely) I'll fade between them with code depending on speed. I'm gonna have to take a long hard think about how to do gear shifts.

@root, yup. :)

I'm not sure. Nothing too complicated tho. If you can get me a steady idle sound and a steady higher-RPM sound(preferably sounds that loop nicely) I'll fade between them with code depending on speed. I'm gonna have to take a long hard think about how to do gear shifts.

@root, yup. :)

I dunno how deep into it you want to go, but Fmod is free for small projects and is good for this sort of thing.

Interesting. Not sure I have time to get into Fmod on this project, but I might try it out in the future.

Latest additions:

Fuel system and a rudimentary dialogue system implemented.

Still need to add gamepad controls, savepoints system, and menu, then the core gameplay components should be in place. After that is creation of the gameworld and tuning of vehicle handling/gameplay systems.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fx58xf68twgcu0u/Engines.7z?dl=0

Here's some sounds.

I had a go at making some fixed pitch stuff. There is only one level of fixed High RPM at the moment so if you want more (higher or lower) just let me know. If you decide to go the complexe route and need ramp downs I can make those too.

I've also included some full ramp up stuff in case you go with that method. If you do I think you'll get a better result but it will cost a bit of time. 

Hope these work :)

Akidu, is that first link you posted correct? It seems to be stuff from earlier projects? Not sure it's really anything I can use. The sounds in the second post are good tho! :)

With 1 week of the Jam down, and a little over a week to go, this is where I'm at!

The gameplay systems are mostly done. Latest additions include menus, savepoints, and gamepad controls(except they don't work in menus yet). Still to go is creation of most of the gameworld, perhaps some quests, and the ending.

Stretch goals:

-car upgrades.

-interior cam. (root, would you be up for modelling the interior?)

-VR!?