I don't know, I've never really played this online and it's been forever since I played it at all so I feel like I'd get knocked out pretty soon in FFA, but I don't want to weigh down teammates either.

It's very hard for a teammate to weigh anyone down in WC3 and TFT unless they're doing hard tech to tier 3 or stealing everyone's expansion mines. In 2v2(v2(v2)) maybe, but even then, the biggest risk in FFA is losing out on the creep game and first contact because you're teching, so having a teammate who's just pumping out footmen or archers to carry you until you've hit your endgame strat is really nice.

FFA is so much purer as an exercise in strategy and skill, but team play is more interesting, overall. Plus you get cool crossover strats like knights/priests/HF and wyverns/shamans/BL turning the world upside-down.

Did you connect to battle.net once installed so it patched it to the newest version?

I ask because it adds WIDESCREEN SUPPORT! WOOO

Did you connect to battle.net once installed so it patched it to the newest version?

I ask because it adds WIDESCREEN SUPPORT! WOOO

No! Not true widescreen support, just stretching the UI! I actually went into my graphics card settings and created a custom 4:3 resolution (1440x1080) so I wouldn't get a headache.

I did go on Battlenet just to see if it works (and if anybody is there) but I didn't realize it at least added a placebo option for picking an appropriate resolution for my screen. Still kind of in shock over how zoomed in it feels now.

Uhhhhhhhhh bad news, I can't play online apparently. Battle Net won't work, claiming it can't write to the HDD, and if I run the game as administrator my computer actually just locks up when I click on Battle Net.

My B.net defaulted to Iccup instead of Europe(Northerend). Did you try switching servers yet? Maybe it's the firewall blocking it as well.

Also maybe it's the patch, did you try downloading it manually and installing it, avoiding battle.net?

Here's windows and mac patches, found them here https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/classic-game-patches

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3x/patches/pc/War3TFT_126a_English.exe

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3x/patches/Mac/War3TFT_1xx-126a_English.zip

Oof, so even after downloading the patch to manually apply it I was running into trouble. The answer was to give my Warcraft 3 install directory full access to all users to do things, even though I am logged in as the administrator.

My connection to Battle Net works now.

im gonna throw my vote in for teams as well, if at least to start with. seems like there's gonna be a pretty wide skill range, and teams will help balance the discrepancy out, rather than have a couple players crush everyone else in ffa

Also, I really enjoyed Grubby explaining his games in this youtube series, almost all of it was new to me but it's really well done

I got it running, who can play this weekend and what timezones do you live in? I'm fine with most hours on any day, only saturday evening I might be busy. If it's USA, EU and Australia, it'll be morning hours for me I guess?

I'll probably be at my desk working most of the weekend anyway, so I can adjust my sleep and work schedule once we figured something out. Maybe we want to have some sort of Skype group/call for on the side?

Don't use Skype. Everybody, stop using Skype. There are infinitely better voip alternatives, and they're free!

Try Discord!

And now is the moment I realize I don't have a mic for my computer.

But yeah I have my game running and connecting to Battle Net. I'm free from 5pm to 11pm PST every day.

jutranjo/someone else nominate some program for getting the group together

slack/discord/skype w/e

my vote is for slack

Slack can't do voice chat so it wouldn't make sense to use that.

(Not that I'm playing, but I like to have voice chat when I'm playing games, so I just assume that's important to everyone else!)

The idle thumbs mumble server is still working, it's never dissapointed so far. Link/instructions are in the sticky on this forum or the main one, also a sticky for slack. If more people than just me and wooben show up on slack I'll make a separate channel.

And now is the moment I realize I don't have a mic for my computer.

But yeah I have my game running and connecting to Battle Net. I'm free from 5pm to 11pm PST every day.

Man I just checked, this is 2 am till 8 am for me. I can wake up at 6 am some day of the weekend no prob.

Well this doesn't have to be based on me entirely. I do get three days off during the week so I'll be around in the morning / early afternoon on those days. I'll just keep an eye on the thread for when people are playing and hop on.