Sounds like you guys are having trouble with getting the WC3 FFAs going? That sucks  =/

A couple of years ago I wanted to LAN with my sister but I got a new router and that just decided, nah, we're not gonna play WC3. It sucks :(

I dunno how attractive this option is, but there are WarCraft 3 assets for StarCraft 2 now, and I think there may be custom maps that recreate WarCraft 3. Not sure about their quality or if any of the maps support more than 4 players. StarCraft 2's arcade/custom maps are free to play so nobody needs to buy StarCraft.

Here's what it looks like: 

Never mind I think that particular mod is still in alpha. I definitely have played a different one with a friend not too long ago, just having trouble finding it again.

I think both SC2 and DOTA2 have Warcraft 3 melee custom maps, SC2 may already have a playable one.

The issue that we had was that we couldn't host a game due to port issues. Instead of changing things on routers we tried switching the port in the options menu but it didn't help. Gotta figure it out first.