Very big changes to weapon balance in Splatoon coming soon. Check them out here: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/assets/media/splatoon-patch-v2-2-0-notes.pdf

There are also some more changes relating to stages listed on this page, which aren't in the PDF: http://splatoon.nintendo.com/whats-new/

In general, nerfs to the splattershot (and its variants), rollers, blasters, and the E-litre charger, while there are buffs to almost every other weapon. Some specials have also been nerfed. Some of the nerfs seem a bit harsh, but overall I think the devs have the right idea with the direction that the balance needs to go. Also really good to see specific and detailed balance notes!

That pdf link isn't working.

What kind of nerfs are we talking about with rollers? They're my weapon of choice and I'm scared now.

Ouch. Some pretty hard nerfs to the splattershot and inkzooka. The tentatek set up was my go to, but it looks like it got hit pretty bad. It was kinda over powered anyway. I like the N-Zap weapons too, and they got a tiny buff.

The rollers nerfs were kinda needed. It's limited it so you actually have to aim to get a 1 shot kill. Only the centre of the swing will be 1 shot now. The Kraken also got some big nerfs, again, I think it needed it. 

That pdf link isn't working.

What kind of nerfs are we talking about with rollers? They're my weapon of choice and I'm scared now.

Ah sorry. You can go access the pdf if you go to my 2nd link, scroll down to version 2.2.0, read more and then "view details" link in weapons adjustments (or any other section, they all link to the same pdf)

I pretty much only use the NZAP 89 and it getting a buff is maybe an indication that it's not the best choice...

Does anyone have good anti-slosher or anti-sniper strategies? Against sloshers, I can only really try to get behind them but with snipers I'm just completely lost.

I pretty much only use the NZAP 89 and it getting a buff is maybe an indication that it's not the best choice...

Does anyone have good anti-slosher or anti-sniper strategies? Against sloshers, I can only really try to get behind them but with snipers I'm just completely lost.

As an ink roller, my strategy against snipers is to throw grenades at them. I can lob over things they can't shoot through and it tends to scare them away. Only the most dedicated sniper sits through it to take a shot.

I like the n zap as well. I just can't deal with the low rate of fire weapons. The echolocatior and the grenade are great subs.

Against snipers I find it all depends on the terrain. If it's flat or I can get close without too much trouble, I win 9/10. Lots of swimming, zig zagging and jumping while firing usually gets them.

If they're far off and elevated, well, I don't usually bother trying to get them. Just move somewhere else and wait for them to reposition.

Splatfest: Pirates vs Ninjas is upon us in North America!

I only have one question; who's ready to walk the plank?

So Splatoon was given Best Multiplayer and Best Shooter at the TGAs, a result i thought was pretty interesting.

You could argue that its competition was pretty weak this year, but i'd say it's well deserved.

So Splatoon was given Best Multiplayer and Best Shooter at the TGAs, a result i thought was pretty interesting.

You could argue that its competition was pretty weak this year, but i'd say it's well deserved.

Considering how unique and fresh (ha!) the game is compared to everything we've been getting for 15 years, yeah, pretty well deserved. Though I'd also argue it is deserving of GotY.

Got this a couple of days ago and it's brilliant! Damn I've missed nailbiting last-moment multiplayer games!

The best bit is that I'm going to spend the next half hour reading the Splatoon Iwata Asks  :)

I got this a few days after Xmas and really like it! I'm going through the thread and adding folks. I'm graddy online.

Did this game do well for Nintendo? To the standard they need for a AAA game? I really want to see Nintendo receive positive reinforcement for taking a risk and being creative.

This game has sold about 3 million copies (over 1 million in Japan alone), which is crazy because it means at least 25% of all Wii U owners (going by last reported numbers + estimate for the holidays, I'd say about 12 million Wii Us sold) own this game. 

I haven't played it in about a week but new map dropped today, so I'll definitely be on that. My NNID is eRonin if you want to add me (though maybe you already have)

It's pretty wild how well it's done in Japan, when so many games seem to tank in their current market. It's pretty much instantly become one of Nintendo's most important franchises.

Also, i guess the last batch of DLC has been released for the game. How is everybody feeling about the state of the game?

You guys who picked it up just at Christmas, how are you fairing online?

Lastly, i made it into A+ rank a while back, i was pretty happy about that.

I'm B grade right now, Level 17 I think. I'm generally holding my own, though I'm really not experimenting with setups. I've got my '89 Zapper and 3-star gear and that's it. I've started buying a selection of 3-star stuff but I'm not really paying attention to the perks. It looks a bit time-consuming and messy to analyse. Is it worth it?

It's actually impossible to do anything about the gear abilities until you're level 20 and either:

1) have participated in a few Splatfests, thus earning Super Sea Shells, or

2) somehow have hundreds of thousands of money saved up already

So don't even worry about it right now. Re-rolling your gear (by talking to Spyke the street urchin) costs 1 Sea Shell or $30,000 per attempt, and you are not guaranteed to get a good outcome from it. I've gotten a bit lucky and have some good gear that S+ players consider optimal. When I play turf wars I kinda just throw any old outfit together that I think looks good, but when I'm playing ranked I do consider the abilities on the gear I wear. I think it helps ever so slightly.

So keep in mind that your gear has what people will refer as main skills and sub skills. The main skills sit at top and are locked in for each piece of gear and include a few special skills not otherwise available, the sub skills are what you randomly roll/re-roll and are usually worth around 1/3rd their main skill equivalents.

Skills stack, but as you stack more of a certain skill on, each is worth a little bit less.

Brands weigh a piece of gear towards different sub skill rolls.

1 star and 2 star gear can be upgraded into 3 star gear with super sea snails. (Which is valuable for getting a three-slotted piece that has the right mix of brand/main skill.)

It's been a few weeks since i played, but i want to say my current build in Splatoon was a mix of special charge up, ink recovery, and throw range stacks, along with the special ink resistance skill. (My preferred weapon is the dual squelcher, the one that is bundled with an echolocator and splatbombs.)

Now, it's important to know that we're talking about very small percentages here, a big stack of defense ups might only let you survive one additional hit from a splattershot, and many skills come with a lot of additional caps and restrictions. (Getting much of out strength up requires some pretty particular knowledge of the game.)

So don't feel like you absolutely need to deep dive on this stuff to stay competitive, i spend most of my time playing using whatever random crap i haven't leveled up yet and still do just fine. It's much more important to play around with the weapons and figure out which is right for you. (You know, and also just generally learning how to support your team and make smart plays.)

It's important to note that there skills which stack, and those that do not.

Things like ninja squid and ink resistance will appear only on the main skill because these do not have a numerical value assigned to them and thus do not stack. They either give you the bonus or not at all. Ink resistance in particular is a huge boost, allowing you to move many times faster than normal when stuck in enemy ink. This ability was heavily nerfed several months ago, but from briefly perusing S+ loadouts, it is still considered a must-have. I feel very helpless whenever I equip a different pair of boots that doesn't have it.

ICYMI: The next Splatfest (weekend of the 20th-21st of Feb) is between POKEMON RED vs POKEMON BLUE

Pretty exciting Splatfest theme, I'm #TeamBlue all the way, what about you folks?

There was some confusion today about Splatfest being delayed for North America but it got underway just an hour later than usual. I have to say, from what I saw tonight, Team Blue is on its way.

I had something goddamn incredible happen just now. In the skatepark level, I was by the enemy team's wooden ramps, where one of their snipers was perched. I managed to take out their buddy they were covering, and I just dropped into the ink sitting still, but also sort of behind a ledge. And for like 20 seconds that sniper was just watching for me to move. I guess I won the patience war there because the sniper CLEARLY lost their shit and just started firing rapidly, left and right, slowly closing a v-like wall of ink around me. The precision and speed was actually pretty scary. But the best part was their shot fired down the middle didn't break my cover because of the ledge. A couple seconds later though one of their teammates showed up and broke my cover, but I made a getaway thanks to one of my team members showing up.

Usually sniper annoy me and I do my best to dunk on them with my ink roller, but this encounter will always be in my fondest of memories.

The final Splatfest is to begin later this month, and will take place over an entire weekend, worldwide, hence spanning close to three days. Those of you whose emails are associated with a Nintendo account would have received an email asking to vote for a stage to be chosen in the Splatfest. The theme for this Splatfest, of course, is the ultimate showdown: Callie vs. Marie!!

I took a bit of a break from this game due to the release of Overwatch, but I've recently started up again in preparation for this Splatfest. May the best Squid Sister win!! (it's Marie, Marie is best)