Fhnuzoag

[RELEASE][Devlog] WIZARD SPORTS (Updated to v1.1!)

Based off "The Wizard", and "Sports".

WIZARD SPORTS

The Idle Thumbs crew face off again a team of professional players in a soccer match. There are no rules. There is magic. Will you triumph? Or will you fail miserably????

Engine: Gamemaker Studio
Genre: Sports/Action/Pausable real time strategy/Tower Defense/Collectable card game wtf

TODO list:
- Basic controls
- AI
- Spells
- Non-placeholder art
- Music/sound effects

(If you can do music, that is very much wanted. I can't do music at all!)

EDIT: It's done!

http://itch.io/jam/wizard-jam/rate/24559

Youtube videos:

EDIT: Updated to version 1.1! Full game source code included!

Day 1 Progress:

Worked on some basic controls and ball passing:

Stereotypically, white = player, red = AI. Mouse and keyboard controls.

pAWMfv1.gif

Currently AI isn't very aggressive, and certainly isn't very effective. But hey, it's a start...

I think it would be grand if the two teams were tuned to be their respective fitness levels, so the Idle Thumbs team are at the game developer/podcaster fitness level, and the professional footballer team are at the level of professional footballers.

I'm a big sports game fan so definitely excited for this one. Awesome day 1 progress to have AI in and sorta doing stuff!

Day 2:

pzlUo0Y.gif

Teaching a computer how to play football is hard. Well, at least they are passing the ball now, and they aren't clumping up so much any more.

Also, tactical pause mode implemented. This will be important when it comes to spellcasting. Yes, there's magic in this game!

The style reminds me of so many hours spent watching Football Manager matches play out trying to imagine what it looks like out on the pitch. Nice work so far, I like the simplicity and concept of it.

The style reminds me of so many hours spent watching Football Manager matches play out trying to imagine what it looks like out on the pitch. Nice work so far, I like the simplicity and concept of it.

In theory this is all preliminary art, if I have time i'll replace the circles with little sprite figures.

Day 3:

AI is still stupid, but at least they are staying on the pitch now. Maybe I'll try and overwhelm the thumbs by pure force of numbers....

6PBJicr.gif

Implemented a dialogue and card based UI system for spell casting. A fireball spell with screen shake, woo!

Drew a little portrait of Chris Remo for exciting plot stuff.

Oh wow, are the Thumb dialogues going to be Starfox style call out things?

Maaaybe.

Day 4:

No gif unfortunately, working on some backend stuff to try and make the AI move in formation, or try and block the player. This is harder than it sounds. :P I'll give it another day and then I'll probably give up and just tell them to blob up at pre-set scripted locations.

Day 5.

Some more portraits for the Thumbs done.

Also AI is much more sensible now - it (tries to) effectively block the player, and also can attack and shoot for the goal!

bimnbB6.gif

I'm still looking for sound effects/music people, btw.....

Day 6.

Today I have taught the AI how to defeat me in soccer.

BeUxTIs.gif

Also, tackling now works.

Unfortunately the AI isn't resetting to its starting position after scoring, instead preferring to hang around the player's goal and just keep kicking the ball in over and over, racking up mega-points. That is maybe cheating.

That's actually quite similar to what I am using, googolplexbyte. The problem with the wolf hunting code is that no wolf actually goes in for the kill, and the wolves bunch up too much in the chase. So I'm making them avoid each other throughout the chase, and just making them run at the player.

This is really impressive! I love the tactical pause mode. I can see the ability to chain some pretty awesome tactics together with the cards.

Day 7.

Started to work on spells, also some backend stuff for large clever formation AI stuff that might not work.

The basic idea of spells is that they are pickups that are slowly generated (after a delay) while the player is unpaused, thus encouraging the player to not constantly pause the game, and to move his units around the pitch.

Picking up a pickup gives the player one of a deck of shuffled spell cards, which the player can carry up to 7 at a time. If the player picks up any more, the oldest card is discarded. (This is a good way to get rid of the harmful backlash cards)

The player clicks on as many cards as they want to cast them.

If multiple spells are cast, they are held in a queue and then cast one by one, with a 1 second interval in between.

In general, spells either do damage, stunning the enemy, provide the player with buffs, alter the game in some other way, or affect cards.

Already stunned enemies explode when stunned again, potentially triggering a chain reaction.

Only implemented the random explosions spell so far:

7TvyDqU.gif

Tried to think up some spells:

??? - random explosions that stun the enemy
??? - Targetted attack, stuns and pushes them aside
??? - Random periodic lightning bolts stun enemies near your cursor
Babywall - Creates a wall that slows the enemy
TBS mode - all units with orders complete them really quickly, then are stunned for a short time
??? - for a time, all your units have area of effect tackle ability
??? - for a time, all your units move really fast
??? - for a time, when you shoot the ball, you go with it
Diplomacy - charms an enemy for a really long time. (Charmed enemies will always pass the ball to you and will auto-tackle their teammates.)
??? - cast a spell twice, one after the other
??? - cast a spell three times, one by one
??? - transmorphs spells into new spells
??? - drops X more spell pickups on to the battlefield
??? - collects all the pickups on the map, and the ball if it's free.
??? - Creates smoke cloud that blinds opponents, referee for a time
??? - Creates a second ball
??? - allows you to set waypoints for the ball, then shoot it like a XCOM blaster bomb
Gun - all units shoot automatically at enemies close to them, pushing them away/slowing them
??? - Backlash! [Has a bad effect/Must be cast/Returns to deck]
??? - Reshuffle