Sign in to follow this  
Grippage

Songs that remind you of games, and vice versa

I happened to hear the song Axel F the other day, and for some reason it doesn't remind me of Beverly Hills Cop, but of The Lost Vikings.

It also works the other way around, and when I think of Commandos 2 I think of that song "I'm Real" with J-Lo feat. Ja Rule just because I spent days playing that game with MTV in the background as a kid.

WHATS MY MAH-FUCKIN NAME?!

R-U-L-E

John Williams playing Cavatina reminds me of Quake 1, or rather Worldcraft, the map editor.

I went out and bought the Faunts song that ends Mass Effect as soon as I finished the game. I loved the way the song kicks in as the credits roll, like a great end to an action movie. It just fit everything really well, and I had a cool feeling of "hell yeah I finished this game!"

So, it's kind of cheating as it's from the soundtrack, but that Faunts song always makes me think of beating Mass Effect and feeling really good about it.

In high school, whenever I played games in my room, I would usually have the stereo on behind me (depending on the type of game). I remember I was listening to a lot of Nonpoint and Blue October when I played Super Mario Sunshine. So anything from those two albums I was listening to usually cause my brain to show images of Mario jumping and hovering in the water backpack.

I know I have more then a few examples, but can't think of any until irish mentioned Mass Effect and the Faunts.

You know that theme song from Super Marios Bros? Whenever I hear that it totally reminds me of Super Mario Bros.!

Seriously though;

Once beyond Hopelessness from Flaming Lips amazing soundtrack Christmas on Mars reminds me of Mass Effect. So much infact, I decided to play it in my mp3 player at the same time I had the Faunts song going on their myspace page, and let me tell you, it goes together pretty well depending on the timing.

I'm sure a proffessional could make a better actual remix of it though.

Well, I stand by my choice!

I suppose I should qualify it... I can't really think of a song that reminds me of a video game, but then I can't think of many songs (with lyrics and fairly short self-contained length and so on, as opposed to music) that stuck with me after I played a game.

The song "Machine Head" by Bush always reminds me of Lunar for Sega CD. I went through a phase when I was about 13 where I was obsessed with both.

Also, some poppy Mexican music reminds me of Little Big Planet and any world beat, african-styled music makes me think of Civ 4.

Here's a strange one: Like a rolling stone by Bob Dylan reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla. I somehow managed to get the song going on a loop by mistake while playing the game and didn't bother turning it off for a couple of hours...

Oh, also The Wizard by Black Sabbath reminds me of Trine and Idle Thumbs simultaneously, brings a manly tear to my eye over the loss of the cast. For the obvious reasons plus I kept playing it and Idle Thumbs ( not at the same time...) while playing Trine, I also just realised I've played Trine full through 4 times. Fuck yeah, Trine!

Here's a strange one: Like a rolling stone by Bob Dylan reminds me of Red Faction: Guerilla. I somehow managed to get the song going on a loop by mistake while playing the game and didn't bother turning it off for a couple of hours...

While I was playing Red Faction: Guerilla I somehow got "Truckin'" by the Grateful Dead stuck in my head. I rolled with it and just kept singing the song as I played. It was a good day.

Space Asshole reminds me of Spider Solitaire 'cause that's what I play during listening to Idle Thumbs usually. I can't listen to that song without playing Spider Solitaire!

Whenever I hear Bring the Noise by Public Enemy, or pretty much any rap/alternative rock from the 90s, I see Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I can't even begin to estimate how much time my sister and I spent playing the THPS 2 demo.

Whenever I hear Bring the Noise by Public Enemy, or pretty much any rap/alternative rock from the 90s, I see Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. I can't even begin to estimate how much time my sister and I spent playing the THPS 2 demo.

scrub!

Bunch of Django Reinhardt albums were featured on the front page of Spotify yesterday so I picked one collection and one song at random to check what they were like. The song immediately reminded me of the great game Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven. After listening to some more, it turned out that of the 20 vol. collection with about 13 tracks on each, I had accidentally picked a song that was actually in the game. Some luck.

Anyway, the song was Echoes Of France and I wish Mafia II would be out soon.