Ben X

A Thread For Me To Rag On Merus' Imprecise Use Of Certain Words

Yeah, no-one's been pouring detergent down that slope.

Seriously, what the fuck does this even mean? Who are you, Ozzie Mandrill?

I feel like this thread might be a slippery slope in the making...

truly the footing can be described as tenuous at best.

I just want to make it clear that this thread is not intended to deter gents called Merus from posting.

I feel like this thread might be a slippery slope in the making...

What are you, some kind of MJW?

(Merus Justice Warrior)

It's clearly a reference to the ancient discovery of soap, where fat and ash would flow downwards to the river where women were washing clothes!

Okay but what the fuck does twee mean I keep seeing it everywhere lately and it seems as far as I can tell like one of those flavor of the months whose meaning is already lost.

I dunno merus probably said it at least once get at me.

I feel like if we are going to judge Merus harshly, some context is needed: for instance if "Yeah, no-one's been pouring detergent down that slope." was a direct response to the question "Hey does anyone know if someone's been pouring detergent down that slope?" then it seems a perfectly precise use of words.

'Detergent' is a fairly broad category. I assume Merus was referring to liquid Tide or similar although it could be supposed that dry detergent might lend a certain granular treachery to an incline if liberally applied.

However, seeing as the original statement was in response to concerns about a company's decision being a potentially slippery slope; and seeing as said company has since reversed the decision in question- I think that some sort of initially slippery but quick drying agent would be of greater service to the underlying metaphor as it continues to evolve.

E.G. 

Person 1 could opine: "I see this position to be something of a 'slippery slope'"

Person 2, being Merus in this case, could then respond: "Actually, the slope appears to be covered in something akin to quick drying plaster that, while initially sketchy, will soon provide safe enough footing for an ascent."

If you put soap on a slope, one would expect it would get more slippery, right?

I think the correct term is "slippery-er".

I'm not suprised that Ben would be the person to start a thread with a title like this. :P

Now I'm going to spend an inordinately large amount of time to browse through Ben's history to find some illogical phrase and pull it out of context.

Now I'm going to spend an inordinately large amount of time to browse through Ben's history to find some illogical phrase and pull it out of context.

Go ahead! It's your own life you're wasting! Bwah ha ha hah!

Okay but what the fuck does twee mean I keep seeing it everywhere lately and it seems as far as I can tell like one of those flavor of the months whose meaning is already lost.

I dunno merus probably said it at least once get at me.

always thought it as a genre of music to describe simple, sweet pop music that was occuring in Britian during the 80s

always thought it as a genre of music to describe simple, sweet pop music that was occuring in Britian during the 80s

If only it were that simple, but people keep using "twee" even when it's not anything to do with music!

Twee has passed into usage for anything that's seen as cloyingly sweet, too sweet to be good.