Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Somebody Please Explain This Scene From Transformers 4 To Me

If I can point out the super obvious, but something I think is really important, it's that these robots don't change from CAR to ROBOT in any meaningful way where the robots transition out of or imply their original form. This dude made a movie about toy cars turning into toy robots and didn't care enough to see that their spacial relationship is critical to what they are. 

This is messy and dumb, yeah. What I'm thinking about here is that the Transformers movies are set in a universe where My Little Pony toys exists, but Transformers toys don't. I mean how does that work??

It's stupid that the thing just turns into a blob of cubes... They're supposed to clunk their big giant pipes and plates around, guys, that's the fun. This is just nebulous alchemy!

Aaaaaah I guess you get to movie 4, ya gotta mix things up.

Wait, transforming robots are made of "transformium" rather than just having motors and mechanisms to shift parts of them about? That's so lame.

Also if transformium has no definable characteristic, how can you possibly know that it exists? 

I can't wait to see how Mr. Bay explores these philosophical questions about transformium.

Someone go tweet Max Landis for an explanation, he always seems up for a laugh and he knows his wheat from his corn.

Today:

But once you establish a premise, you have to back it up. Some scenes can't just randomly be surreal, you can't "do whatever you want."

Almost every note you get as a writer, the good ones, are about tightening the logic of your movie. Believe me, tone is hard.

The second your audience is asking WHY the moon makes the man turn into a werewolf, you done fucked up.

This is messy and dumb, yeah. What I'm thinking about here is that the Transformers movies are set in a universe where My Little Pony toys exists, but Transformers toys don't. I mean how does that work??

It's stupid that the thing just turns into a blob of cubes... They're supposed to clunk their big giant pipes and plates around, guys, that's the fun. This is just nebulous alchemy!

Aaaaaah I guess you get to movie 4, ya gotta mix things up.

The second movie had a transformer pose as a sexy human, though, right? They'd already given the physical transformation thing up ages ago, even if you ignore the incongruity in design that feelthedarkness points out.

Oh, and Justin, did you see the Max Landis interview thing on the Feminism thread?

Can we turn this into a "weird shit from the movies" thread?

I caught a bit of Tron legacy the over day

tron%2Bdinner.jpg

There's a whole fucking suckling pig on the table :?

Well in that case, I'd like to ask the American forumites about that scene in Jack Reacher where a guy's in a car chase with a load of cops, he jumps out of his car while out of the cops' line of sight, and stands with a load of people waiting at a bus-stop. They wordlessly move to surround him and one guy gives him his baseball cap for extra disguise. You can see it about 2 minutes in here:

There's no extra context in the full scene. Was disdain or antagonism towards the authorities really so tangible in 2012 that this felt plausible? Or are we supposed to think that the people helped this felon just because he's so damn cool and ballsy?

Oh, and Justin, did you see the Max Landis interview thing on the Feminism thread?

No, is it good? I'll have to go and check it out. Almost posted one of the comics done by the Boy's Night Out co-writer in there yesterday 'n all...

edit: forum search isn't helping, can you point me in the right direction?

Whoops, I was wrong! I've posted it in there now, anyway.

There's a whole fucking suckling pig on the table :?

I always assumed that Flynn just made the pig for aesthetics, since presumably he can just make whatever the hell he wants out of nothing through computer jesus magic.

Plus there's nothing to confirm that eating even does anything in the digital world, since programs only drink anyway.

The answer is

Hasbro-At-Barclays-001_1367435547.jpg

That picture lead me on a little 10 minute journey:

• Excitement: "Wait, Hasbro let LEGO make an Optimus Prime minifig?"
  • Confusion: "So Hasbro created their own line of LEGO knockoffs and thought Kre-O was a good name for them?"
  • Curiosity: "Huh, they make these branded with Transformers, Star Trek, GI Joe, D&D, and Cityville Invasion. What the heck is Cityville Invasion?"
  • Sadness: "Oh, turns out it's a Zynga free-to-play mobile game with $50 in-app purchases targeted at children."
  • Surrender: "I can get Optimus Prime, Megatron, Starscream, and Soundwave minifigs together for $7 on Amazon?" *adds to cart*

But I contest that these visuals are complete shit.

Yes. During the first one, the guy next to me at the cinema leant over after the first apocalyptic fight at the air force base and whispered "That was awesome". And with just one transformer, it worked, in a similar way to Cloverfield. With more in the scene, they just become shadowy, fast moving, indistinct forms covered in greebles, rarely if ever having distinct silhouettes. All the action gets super confusing and I felt really fatigued by the end. Haven't bothered with any of them since.

I can't wait to see how Mr. Bay explores these philosophical questions about transformium.

:tup:

Well in that case, I'd like to ask the American forumites about that scene in Jack Reacher where a guy's in a car chase with a load of cops, he jumps out of his car while out of the cops' line of sight, and stands with a load of people waiting at a bus-stop. They wordlessly move to surround him and one guy gives him his baseball cap for extra disguise. You can see it about 2 minutes in here:

There's no extra context in the full scene. Was disdain or antagonism towards the authorities really so tangible in 2012 that this felt plausible? Or are we supposed to think that the people helped this felon just because he's so damn cool and ballsy?

I live in the city where that movie was filmed and presumably takes place... and I have no idea what to tell you.