Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Idle Criterion Film Club Week 2.5: Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

Wait, is Gremlins 2 really in the Criterion collection? Because that movie is actually a brilliant piece of filmmaking.

I've actually never seen any of the Gremlins movies.

The first movie is a fairly decent 80s film that gets put up on a much higher pillar than I really feel it's earned; the second is an amazingly anarchistic piece of self-sabotage deliberately meant to kill the franchise. Joe Dante wanted the first movie to be a one-and-done deal, but was pressured into making a sequel by the studio. He only agreed on the grounds that he be given full creative control, and made a weird slapstick parody of the Hollywood sequel. It lampoons some of the more absurd elements of the original film (namely that ridiculous Santa Claus backstory that Kate has) and eventually completely breaks down into fourth-wall-shattering chaos. It's the best.

Was genuinely thrilled that we were going to watch Gremlins 2 together, then realised Mington was posting this and I get to choose the third film. Hulk Hogan made up for it though

You mean Mington stole your turn? Bad Mington!

Gremlins 2 is an ace film. I really like the original too, but the sequel has more rewatch value. Did you guys say that you can get the Criterion extras online too? Are there any more than the DVD extras?

For those who have ALREADY SEEN Gremlins 2, here's an incredible fan-made VOD-age replacement for the Hulk Hogan bit (which itself was replaced on home video versions):

Awwww, this is all a joke and it's not even in the Criterion Collection! Damned gremlins!

For those who have ALREADY SEEN Gremlins 2, here's an incredible fan-made VOD-age replacement for the Hulk Hogan bit (which itself was replaced on home video versions):

That was amazing!  Apparently those are all actual puppets being inserted into those film clips—I was wondering how his CGI work captured them so well.

Yeah, iirc he has one original puppet from the movie and made a cast of it then used that to make a load of his own.

EDIT: there's a link to the making-of in the About blurb.

I used to love Gremlins 2 as a kid besides having to cover my eyes from the violence, but I remember watching it much later in my adolescent years and finding it really not funny and seeming a little bit cheap.