tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

the fact that Pokémon's backwards-compatability is now all run server-side and runs independently of hardware.

Isn't that... good? I mean it sucks if you don't have access to the internet I guess, but at the very least it guarantees theoretical endless backwards compatibility for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: Oh, I misread jumping ship as jumping shark. NEVERMIND I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN NOW.

I don't think what's happening here is a big deal, though, considering Nintendo already is working with Namco for Smash Bros., right? This is just an extension of that relationship.

Oh, and I also hope Hawlucha is in it, because LUCHADOR BIRD is just too good not to be in a fighting game.

BypEe0k.png

three critters

Where's the third?

Also I'm guessing Hawlucha is probably a cert, as he's fairly prominent in the pokemon anime, and I guess is pretty popular. As well as flippin' awesome.

I don't think it's limited at all to just fighting types, just because it's a fighting game. I was thinking that a super lazy thing I could see them do is just re-skin Tekken characters (or at least ape their fighting style):

Rodger Jr. will be Charizard,

Eddie will be Hitmonlee,

Ganryu will be Snorlax,

Paul will be Machamp,

Gon will be Cubone,

The list goes on. I hope they don't do that though, as it'd be lame.

I'm happy that they decided to go with the Tekken fighting style/engine over Street Fighter and Arc System's fighting systems/engine, as I find it way more enjoyable and fun, as well as very beginner friendly. It'd be also super neat if it was a nice introduction to fighting games. The control scheme also lends itself nicely to the WiiU gamepad.

Also also is this been a well known badly kept secret or something? Everyone talks about it like it's a thing that they've wanted for years, yet I've never heard of it until now. :/

Blaziken and Lucario were fighting in the screenshot released/leaked a long time ago.

That shot also featured a sign prominently displayed in the background with the fighting-type symbol from the TCG on it. Also, they registered trademarks on the names "Pokken Tournament" and "Pokken Fighters" ages ago.

G0tOKvm.jpg

Oh man.

Tekken usually has stupid novelty characters, right?

WHAT IF...

LLfuP8k.jpg

So I'm one of those freaks that plays video games with inverted look controls. I've always justified it to others by explaining that I envision my control stick being attached to the back of the head of the character I am controlling. I think that is an easy way to give people perspective on why it feels natural for some people to pull the control stick down to look up and up to look down. However, I recently realized that that explanation is total bullshit in my case because my brain only applies that logic to the y axis for some reason. I used to think other people were jackasses for constantly picking on people who use inverted control schemes but now I realize I'm the jackass for having a broken brain.

I generally prefer inverted Y myself, though I can play either way given a little adjustment time. I think it's mainly due to playing a ton of X-Wing when I was younger. I stopped trying to explain it or really even think about it logically anymore. That's the way I played when I first picked up Halo, so that's how I play now.

I hope they do Ursaring with the exact same moveset as Panda.

I was thinking that too. Beartic and Pangoro can be alts.

Remember that guy in one of those really early Thumbs episodes who was super mad that Tekken was coming to Xbox 360? I wanna know what that guy thinks about Pokken.

I generally prefer inverted Y myself, though I can play either way given a little adjustment time. I think it's mainly due to playing a ton of X-Wing when I was younger. I stopped trying to explain it or really even think about it logically anymore. That's the way I played when I first picked up Halo, so that's how I play now.

For me, I think Goldeneye 007 was the main reason I ended up playing the way I do now. That game was a weird case though because the up and down C buttons looked down and up respectively while the left and right C buttons strafed left and right, and the control stick handled movement on the y axis and looking on the x axis with no inversion. I guess having your x and y look axes split between the control stick and C buttons made the whole inverted y, not inverted x scheme feel a little more natural. Then when Halo came around and put all the strafing on one stick and all the looking on the other, my brain just married them together into a clusterfuck of nonsense.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is fuck Goldeneye and fuck Rare. Perfect Dark was awesome.

I hope that when they inevitably shoehorn Pikachu into Pokken fighters, they make him a terrible joke character.

qnJjYE1.gif

I know it would never, ever happen, but... I can't help imagining a fighting game with over 700 different playable characters. :P

I know it would never, ever happen, but... I can't help imagining a fighting game with over 700 different playable characters. :P

That's why it's arcade-only right now. The custom cabinet needs a resolution of 1024x7,000,000,000 for the character select screen.

That's why it's arcade-only right now. The custom cabinet needs a resolution of 1024x7,000,000,000 for the character select screen.

I imagine they'll just have a bio-sensor on the edge of the controller surface and then assign you a character based on your thumbprint readout. That's suitably Nintendo.

Oh man, remember how that one Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game had you stick your thumb on the DS' touchscreen and read your heartbeat to determine your character? That was rad.

Whoa, how long have you been able to change the images for the grid view on Steam? Now my GOG stuff doesn't have to look out of place.

For quite a while now. You can also hide your unwanted games now too, in case your 300 hours spent on Bejeweled 3 is too embarrassing to show.

I really wish games had separate volume settings for gunfire/explosions and all other sound effects. I tend to do most of my gaming when everyone else is sleeping and am constantly struggling to find a volume level that is loud enough for me to hear all of the music, dialog, and sound effects while also being low enough that my wife doesn't come out of the room asking me to turn it down. Because of the fact that gunfire and explosions are always so much louder than any other sound effect in games, I usually have to lower the volume so much that the only thing left for me to hear is gunfire and explosions. This has been especially annoying in The Last Of Us because decent segments of the game don't involve any loud shit like gunfire and I want to be able to enjoy the background music and chatter between characters. So I turn the volume up enough for all of this lovely shit to reach my ears only to get caught off guard by an unexpected battle sequence and have gunshots ringing through every corner of our house because I reacted hastily and forgot to pause the game and turn the volume back down.

Then what good is my 7.1 surround sound? Fuck headphones. 7 speakers and a subwoofer blasting sound waves throughout my living room are my "headphones".

Zeus, you have you own house, right? Is this a dedicated media room that you could potentially soundproof?

I have the same problem. I hate watching modern action movies because everybody talks in low, gravely voices so that I have to turn up the volume, but explosions are so incredibly loud that I have to turn it down. The same goes for the shotgun in Spelunky. I frequently play that game with the music down but the effects up so that I can listen to podcasts while still being able to hear where the dog is hiding, but that shotgun is so damn loud

I've really enjoyed the convenience of being able to pipe all game sound through my PS4 controller + headphones, but I can see why it wouldn't be an ideal experience for someone invested in a sound system. I just have a $200 receiver, two bookshelf speakers, and a center channel so I'm not missing all that much when I have to go quiet at night.

You wanted a solution to playing quietly and I gave you the best one! All you need is a good pair of stereo headphones, too, those 5.1 headphones are a rip off.