Tanukitsune

I think I might have made a big mistake... How does VAC work exactly?

Now that it's revived, my opinion has revised to think that if you use Cheat Engine you should prepare yourself to be VAC banned because you're kinda asking for it.

So you're saying I'm asking to be banned for chatting while having this program open? Bans exist only for people who ruin multiplayer games, not for people who don't want to waste time grinding in single player games.

I'm still curious to know if he somehow knew I had Cheat Engine or if he was just crazy, I serious doubt he or I should get VAC banned for chatting with this program open... 

Although frankly, I thinking of not using Cheat Engine unless it's for emulation, the last few times I used it on a Steam game I still quit it because it still sucked. *shrugs*

I dunno, I don't think it's terribly fair to say someone's asking for it when they just want to use a system of cheats that don't compromise the experience of others. With no system of warnings for VAC, it is kinda shitty for it to have real consequences when the 'criminal' part of the crime is moot.

I took JonCole's point to be if you were using Cheat Engine while playing TF2, which is also how I took Tanukitsune's post.  If he just had it running while in a single player game and chatting on Steam, I don't see any reason to worry.  VAC only cares about MP games.

I got the impression Tanukitsune wasn't actually playing TF2, someone just messaged him about some TF2 item  that they wanted and had seen on his page but I see now it is ambiguous.

I haven't played TF2 in ages, oddly enough I installed today and thought that if I got bored enough of single player games I might do some bot training, but I deleted it after the bad taste this encounter left me.

I still won't sell my exclusive TF2 items... :|

Give 'em for free to me, then!

But for real just set your inventory to private or only viewable to friends. It will stop nearly all random invites.

I guess that's not an option if you actually actively trade, but I don't, and it works wonders for me!

Maybe just play less shitty games that require shitty grinding.

I'm just saying that if Cheat Engine is something that can get you VAC banned for using it in some ways (which you don't use them for), using it at all is kinda asking for the VAC ban. I don't profess this to be a particularly fair opinion, it's just that using something potentially dangerous even with the best intentions can still get you in trouble.

That's two thing I've decided to do, now only friends can see my inventory and if I game starts to feel like a slog... I won't go to Cheat Engine to hope it make it better....

But yeah, I highly doubt it I'll use it on Steam ever again... I don't think I remember the last time I used it on a game and it made me enjoy the game... 

I'm fed up with TF2 traders, this kid was particularly annoying since I told I didn't trade several times, I ignored him, he ask me a few more times, I said no and ignored again, only to have him go crazy and accuse me of hacking him.

I could swear his name was "The_Deranged_One" or some variation of that, but after reporting on his profile him I can no longer find his profile. I assume he really thought he was getting hacked and changed all his info? 

After searching for that name in Steam the only person that appeared I knew was... Patters? It's a funny coincidence, but I do think he was friends with someone in my list. Maybe it was some other TF2 played who just friended me for my items? I do remember he was American. It's too bad the chat log is gone and I can no longer check anything.

It's also weird he insisted in trading with me and never sent a trade invite.

Just block people who message you about trading. I've got some rare stuffs in TF2, and I think I've been messaged about it all of 3 times ever. I mute more people in a single game of Dota2 than I have in my thousands of hours of TF2.

Very few people know details about how VAC works outside of the trivial things that all anti-cheats do (look for hooked DLLs, etc.) and the very few things Valve has released (recently, it checks to see if your PC has been phoning home to hacking software's own DRM servers). Anyone claiming otherwise is purely speculating. The only option you really have is to wait about a month and see if anything happens.

It sucks, but that's also why it's so effective.

Delete them all on live twitch stream.

The really weird thing is you can probably make more than they're worth by getting people to donate toward either destroying them or not because people will apparently pay for that even if it means they won't get the item.