Blambo

Visual Art!

I've been limited to pen and paper recently so I've been doing a lot more drawing (I'm a 3D artist mostly), I've been posting them on my tumblr but thought I'd share some here too.

Unfortunately I'm also limited to taking photos on my phone, so the image quality isn't great...

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_navklxIdkP1sdq286o6_1280.jpg

I like the last two the most because they make me feel like I am in a particularly special position that reveals a secret. In the second to last, the mountains in the back suggest that the place is harder to find due to implied scale of the space. The shading implies similar things. In the last one, I go between two intriguing thoughts. One is that I've navigated thsi forest of hills and found the secret side of one that has a door; the other thought is that all those similarly shaped protrusions each have their own doors.

Did this today. 

ByU1EEvCAAAwSBA.png

That looks great. I want to ride it.

Very nice work and a lovely render. I'm a big fan of the low poly style, I think it's 3D's version of pixel art.

Yeah I think I remember hearing the Thumbers express a similar idea and it really nailed down the idea for me. It's a really cool look, and serves a similar function. I think in some circles you can probably see it beginning to be overplayed a little but I don't think that's really a bad thing per se. I don't personally do pixel art but I'm still amazed when I see some really well executed sprite work. 

I did sort of do my first bit of sprite work recently, by necessity due to how low resolution the sprites were. Maybe I'll post that soon. It was for a game jam, which I posted about in another thread too. 

Maybe I heard the Thumbs say that too and sub consciously repeated it :)

I think sometimes people try to do Minecraft and just used blocks for everything, I wouldn't really consider that low poly style though it's almost another style in itself.

What I find interesting is when you have low poly models with fancy rendering and ambient occlusion etc, it's clearly an intentional aesthetic choice and not a limitation of available power.

Like this stuff: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=low+poly&rlz=1C1PRFA_enGB408GB408&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=aTEtVMfyC6ffywOb94CICQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=low%20poly%20art&revid=2010215516&imgdii=_

I've also not done much pixel/sprite work, I did some in the first game I made with various levels of success: http://www.bretteveleigh.co.uk/Banana_Split.php

This thread is quiet. My drawings I posted previously have now been properly scanned and are on my site if anyone is interested. I'm back doing 3D stuff again so I thought I'd post a WIP of my current project:

Screen_04.jpg

Based on the fantastic art of Simon Stalenhag:

missingperson_1920.jpg

I've been working on a game with a friend. Nothing I can show right now though, still too basic. I've not really been using the forums much because I got in a serious relationship and started a new job. But I just quit that job and may be around here more! Took a start up job and I am using my extra time to do more game stuff. 

I made this recently!

X9Nc37A.png

ossO4yo.png

I didn't do the modeling, but I did end up doing the coding which was weird because I don't code. I'm just a designer! But our coder bailed and I was so fired up I decided I would learn Unity to make it work. It's really simple but it's kind of cool being able to make something actually move and stuff without help. I've been thinking about learning modeling for that very reason. I don't want to stretch my skill sets too thin though. But it would be nice to be able not to have to worry about other people modeling for me and stuff. 

This thread is quiet. My drawings I posted previously have now been properly scanned and are on my site if anyone is interested. I'm back doing 3D stuff again so I thought I'd post a WIP of my current project:

Screen_04.jpg

Ahh this is badass, I can't wait to see more progress on it!

root - Thanks :) 

MadJackalope - I'm impressed that you managed to do the coding. I've tried to learn to code a few times but eventually I discovered Playmaker and have just been using that instead. I wouldn't worry too much about stretching your skills, it's rather helpful to have a better understanding of the process behind the other areas of game development.

I've never actually used Playmaker though I have heard of it. I thought that it was going to probably be too difficult but after looking it up after you mentioned it, I think I might give it a try. 

I have a spare key, you're welcome to it if you want.

Oh thanks! That's very generous of you. If you're not using it, then yah I'd love to try it out. 

Update

I'm still figuring things out and interpreting the painting, which is an interesting challenge. The back and the other side cannot be seen at all for instance, so I'm having to decide what to put there entirely on my own. Also there's the smaller details, like the lights, I built a small armature and have run cables, both of which are hinted at in the painting but it's up for debate as to whether that's the intention of the artist. Then there's also things that we may (quite fairly) over look in the painting such as the practicality of the steps to the door, I'll have to figure out how to make that work. On the back I added a ladder but realised it was unreachable, so I added another fold out ladder below but the lowest rung was still at pelvis height making it a rather uncomfortable climb so I added a slide down part too: 

Ladder_Motion_02.gif

I may be over thinking some of this but it'd annoy me if I just ignored it, plus someone else would just point it out later :)

Screen_08_w.jpg

Screen_09_w.jpg

Hi, didn't post often here, but I like this thread and this might be interesting

This "Project" stated with an interest in isometric tile sets. I stated by drawing the basic shapes in inkscape as vector graphics, where I also defined the the base colors. Than exporting them out as png file in a fixed resolution, so the base tile is 1024px horizontal. I than drew over in krita and added detail. I limited myself to 4 base grey tones which felt really nice after a while. After some time a had a collection of tiles and wanted to show them, in some way.

I'm not really fluent enough to built a framework for a tile based game so I put all tiles together back in inkscape and exported the map as a big png. I did some dabbling in blender before but I thought I could animate a camera "flying" over the tile map. And after a while and some learning about particles and effects I got this video out of it.

Kind of want to try some more stuff in 3D Tools like Blender.

Also Bretts work is super impressive with all the technical detail and consideration you put into it.

That's very cool simbotik, I'm a total sucker for atmospheric landscapes so this very much appeals. I think the music and scenery might suit slower particles though.

Also thanks that's very kind of you, I have been distracted by other things so haven't done much on the vehicle recently but I did realise that it couldn't turn... so I spent some time on the steering mechanism.

Wheel_Motion_01.gif

Exciting!

I've been making some comic-book covers for some Speedrunners comic books at work.

3f04b77ff8a34e9eded035444968e721.png

7cbed47de54c39db20bc1f4d67171788.png

80f0db44aa584306cbbdbcd38e62e0be.png

8811f78425bf91e24c367de53995013f.png

This stuff is definitely an opportunity for me to stretch out in my artwork skills. I don't get much chance to do that, and I'm really happy to take a shot at it. This is my reserved style for working on LARGE promotional artwork, and I'd love to work on a project where I get to explore outward like this all the time.

I'm aware that this is basically the same as my vector artwork, except with a higher fidelity in small details and really liberal use of soft shadows. It's exciting to know that I recognize that, and that there's a huge expanse of wisdom in use of colours, composition and shading that I DON'T know about, and appear to be very capable of learning.

Thanks Brett for the feedback.

I think the music and scenery might suit slower particles though.

I'm still really novice in blender. But over the last days I looked into it more. And the way I did the camera animation was pretty crude and I should probably put more time into it. Now I would do it different for sure. I will probably try to make a better version and than also change the particles.

SPEEDY!!

2j47oud.jpg

Hey how about some UI art? I opened up my old side-project recently BATTLE SNOOKER!

It's hopefully something like Advance Wars, but you putt your units around like a minigolf game.

Here's my old artwork:

and here's some new artwork:

2deb098409cb4fe34b22ba0114fd668e.png

The old way just wasn't cutting it for me. I was using the white stripe on the ball to communicate damage or defense bonuses, and because it was stretched around a sphere, then aliased, it just looked like pixel-stew every time.
Also having the radial health-bars around the outside of the ball just wasn't good enough, as it obscured exactly what was collision and what wasn't.

I used to have one aim-line that would get longer as you pulled back, to show an estimate of your trajectory. The problem with this was that I'd always pull back 100% just to get a better view of my aiming angle. Weak UI decisions shouldn't be influencing me to hit harder every shot- So I made an aim-line that was always long. It's thick as the ball too, so you'd know exactly when you were just nipping someone on the side.

Still frustratingly unfinished. The bars on everything are so small, and you can't always tell if you're doing 25% damage or 30%- which of course is important! Just thought I'd post some UI iteration for a fun mix-up, I think this is interesting.