Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

The City and The City by China Mieville

I didn't find an existing thread on this.  Anyone read this book?  It's been one of the most pleasantly confusing books I've read in awhile.  I thought I had a handle on the whole nature of the cities, but now as I'm getting deeper into it, I've completely given up on my original theory and have no idea what's actually going on. 

I didn't find an existing thread on this.  Anyone read this book?  It's been one of the most pleasantly confusing books I've read in awhile.  I thought I had a handle on the whole nature of the cities, but now as I'm getting deeper into it, I've completely given up on my original theory and have no idea what's actually going on. 

Go on. Is it worth your time? I read the whole Bas-Lag trilogy, but only Perdido Street Station really did anything much for me, although I've had gradually increasing appreciation for The Scar and even Iron Council. One out of three wasn't good enough for me to keep reading Miéville.

I found this to be a fascinating book. The detective/crime stuff is really only a backdrop to what's so interesting though, and actually detracted from it a bit to me. But the central conceit of the two parallel cities really caught my fancy.

I'd recommend it. It doesn't share much with Mieville's other work except his bent for lyrical language.

I'd recommend it. It doesn't share much with Mieville's other work except his bent for lyrical language.

I enjoyed it greatly as well. I've been meaning to read some more of his books for quite a while. I found the writing quite dense at first, but once you get used to it it makes for a very enjoyable read.

Questions on the nature of the cities roiled around my head while i was reading it too:) Such an odd idea, but brilliantly executed.

I've definitely considered it worth reading so far, the world building in it is excellent, and I'm enjoying the detective, noir elements so far.  It's the first work by Mieville I've read, so I don't have a frame of reference for whether or not this is typical of his writing style.  I know that he tends to be a love or hate kind of writer for a lot of people.  His writing at times feels slightly alien to me.  It's English, I understand it, but there is something disconcertingly "off" about it.  That's not a criticism or complaint, I'm rather enjoying the sensation.  Just can't think of anything else that has given me that impression. 

I really enjoyed PSS, and my girlfriend knocked out the other 2 in that series in the same time frame (PHD candidates amirite). We both thought Embassytown was fantastic, and an order more sophisticated, which I don't mean in a condescending way. It really transcended genre fiction for me.  

Wonderful book. It's not as "science fictiony" as many of his other books, which makes it more appealing for a wider audience, but it also has a fascinating central conceit. Crucially, that conceit has obvious real world parallels, which makes it even more engaging. 

His writing at times feels slightly alien to me.  It's English, I understand it, but there is something disconcertingly "off" about it.  That's not a criticism or complaint, I'm rather enjoying the sensation.  Just can't think of anything else that has given me that impression. 

Huh, might take a look then. One of my favorite books is Neuromancer, and the entire thing is what you described, except on crack and several hallucinogens. It took me at least two readthroughs to even understand what it is that's being described or is even happening most of the time, and I enjoyed it for that.

Huh, might take a look then. One of my favorite books is Neuromancer, and the entire thing is what you described, except on crack and several hallucinogens. It took me at least two readthroughs to even understand what it is that's being described or is even happening most of the time, and I enjoyed it for that.

This effect is a lot more subtle.  It's more about the structure of sentences and paragraphs than it is just being outright bizarre. 

I'd definitely recommend sticking with The City and The City until the end.

For me I found the initial third interesting but the middle third a little dry, by the end third I was hooked and it all come together excellently though!

Yeah I read it and really liked it. Mieville's prose is a little more restrained in this one, which I appreciated, and the dual city conceit was fun to try and wrap my head around. Plus, though it's important to the story, it never gets too wrapped up in the lore/origins of the cities, which I really liked. I'd also recommend Embassytown because it's similarly got some cool underlying ideas (on language in its case), though I think the story gets a little ridiculous towards the end.

Embassytown was my first Mieville novel and it reminded me a lot of Samuel R. Delany's Babel-17, where the speaker is altered by the language she uses. It was compelling but, as spork said above, it started derailing by the end.

I kind of want to see an omnibus version of this, Perdido Street Station and Embassytown called The City and The City and The City and The City.

I just read the wiki page on Embassytown. I really hope i have it on my kindle, i want to bloody start reading it right now! 

I realized I never reposted back in here after I finished the book.  I think I felt quite conflicted about it, which I still do.  Ultimately I think its well worth reading, but that last third of it or so left me pretty unsatisfied. 

Fuck, this is why I never came back and wrote anything.  I really don't have anything interesting to say beyond general praise for the world and character building, contrasted with a general dissatisfaction with a few elements of it. 

I'll just see myself out. :getmecoat

For some reason this thread title made me remember a book I'd read years ago called Un Lun Dun. Quick Google search and wow, same author. Never knew his name either, I think it was the title, "The City and The City" that had the same vibe to it. Anyway, my memory's fuzzy but I do remember incredible worldbuilding and messages about pollution and addiction and things in it. I rather enjoyed the creepy vibe to it. Thanks for this thread, I'll have to check out more of his stuff!  :)