Sign in to follow this  
posh_somme

Board Games?

I just realized I was mixing up this thread with the non-video games thread, which is basically this thread.

???

Anyway: Betrayal is great, because it's so fast-paced and everyone goes in knowing it's just a dumb game.

Yeah, no one dislikes King of Tokyo. It's like an inkblot test: people who prefer randomness focus on the chaos, people who prefer planning focus on the strategy. Everyone wins! But one person wins more than others.

The other guaranteed hits in my closet are Galaxy Trucker (the "failure is fun" entry in the board game space), Resistance: Avalon (so fast and lean than even people who hate traitor mechanics have a good time), Pandemic (the most cooperative of my co-op games), and Love Letter (fast, easy to teach, and chess-like in elegance). Love Letter has especially proved to be a great opener. If there were any justice, people would be playing it or Tichu instead of Uno and Skip-Bo.

I'm afraid I don't fit your generalities. I found King of Tokyo without the expansion to be random and kind of boring, and Galaxy trucker depressing because of all the failure.

I've had the best experience re: general hits with Dixit, 6 takes and Great Dalmuti.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Monopoly rules right here, and this is the pertinent rule:

If you don't ask for rent, you don't collect it, so you are entitled to make a deal with another player that you just won't ask. Also a fun thing to try: sell your Get out of Jail Free cards!

You're right of course. It's weird how much people's ways of playing a game differ from the designer's intentions.

So far the game I have that everyone I show it to always seems to love is Citadels.

Oooh man, there's nothing I like more than recommending tabletop games to people.

So you want simple games with plenty of interaction that work best (or at least work well) with three players.

Lying and deception are not too common in three player games. You tend to want more people to really get the social machinations going. That said, there are plenty of good games that work well with three people and involve a fair amount of screwing your opponents. On the light side we've got No Thanks! (kind of a reverse-auction game - you're paying money to avoid something rather than trying to get it) and Coloretto (set collection where you can poison other people's sets). Slightly more complex are Hanabi (a simple, elegant and nail-bitingly stressful co-operative card game) and the aforementioned King of Tokyo (Yahtzee with a movie-monster theme and more strategy). For medium-heavy stuff there's Tammany Hall (corrupt politicians in New York bidding for control of immigrant populations) and Alien Frontiers (dice-rolling, resource management and interstellar settlement). I won't recommend any truly heavy games because I don't really play many of them and they would probably be too much for somebody new to the hobby anyway.

Of course, there are hundreds more great games out there. Those are just a few varied recommendations that game to mind based on what you said you're looking for.

Also, not to pimp my stuff too much, I have a blog that I infrequently update where I write about tabletop games. The link is in my signature if you want to check it out.

Hope everything goes well with your foray into this amazing hobby!

EDIT: Re - rent in Monopoly, of course you don't have to pay it. That's where free passes come in! They are an extremely important resource in trades.

Oooh man, there's nothing I like more than recommending tabletop games to people.

So you want simple games with plenty of interaction that work best (or at least work well) with three players.

Lying and deception are not too common in three player games. You tend to want more people to really get the social machinations going. That said, there are plenty of good games that work well with three people and involve a fair amount of screwing your opponents. On the light side we've got No Thanks! (kind of a reverse-auction game - you're paying money to avoid something rather than trying to get it) and Coloretto (set collection where you can poison other people's sets). Slightly more complex are Hanabi (a simple, elegant and nail-bitingly stressful co-operative card game) and the aforementioned King of Tokyo (Yahtzee with a movie-monster theme and more strategy). For medium-heavy stuff there's Tammany Hall (corrupt politicians in New York bidding for control of immigrant populations) and Alien Frontiers (dice-rolling, resource management and interstellar settlement). I won't recommend any truly heavy games because I don't really play many of them and they would probably be too much for somebody new to the hobby anyway.

Of course, there are hundreds more great games out there. Those are just a few varied recommendations that game to mind based on what you said you're looking for.

Also, not to pimp my stuff too much, I have a blog that I infrequently update where I write about tabletop games. The link is in my signature if you want to check it out.

Hope everything goes well with your foray into this amazing hobby!

EDIT: Re - rent in Monopoly, of course you don't have to pay it. That's where free passes come in! They are an extremely important resource in trades.

this is perfect, thank you! definitely looking into all of these