melmer

GTA ONLINE

Nooooo, the thread title is wrong!

Also, I'm not going to be done with the single player for a while, which will hopefully give them time to sort out the crazy server issues that are bound to arise. I wonder if they did the iFruit app development themselves, or had someone external do it. If Rockstar made it, I hope it's not at all indicative of the quality of their online service.

Oh God this actually just worked, kind of, finally. I'd never got beyond the character creation screen since it launched but I got to do the tutorial race and a wee bit beyond there, stopped for now in case it doesn't save. Anyone had much luck and/or fun with it so far? Seems to be working a bit better in the US and on 360 based on what I've heard, but hopefully we can get some of the PS3 set on over the weekend in our garish purple shirts.

hopefully we can get some of the PS3 set on over the weekend in our garish purple shirts.

I think you misspelled "stylish".

I tried late last night pacific time (ps3) and got stuck waiting for other players for the tutorial race thingy.

I think I'll wait until they update saying they think it's fine before trying again.

I'm also waiting for an update. I think they've done all they can without an update and the single-player or Spelunky is a better use of my time.

I did enjoy experiencing the brokeness of it's current state once though (Hype).

I managed to play a good hour or so last night--seems promising so far, I held up a liquor store, won a street race.  I'll likely be playing around 11ET tonight on PSN, look out for me (mrlogical on PSN) if you're in the Thumbs crew!

I got an hour or so in earlier after the PS3 patch came out, but I can't get back in and my character doesn't seem to have saved. I'm going to try and hold off making a new dude in that slot and see if he comes back tomorrow. Shame, because what I saw looked fantastic. Even the races, which I've never liked in GTA, were a lot of fun.

I have totally joined the Idle Thumbs crew on mah PS3.

Did you know you can generously change your nickname once every 365 days?

Yeah, I was actually able to play a bit, although each session with my apparently being kicked. I'm not sure if that's the generic message for when you lose connection, or if people are kicking one another willy-nilly, but I did get a message about accruing bad sport points if I get kicked too often, so that's somewhat worrisome. Other than that, though, it seemed pretty fun.

I played a couple of missions/races and those were pretty fun, then I just wandered around in free mode for a while and a guy kept following me around and killing me, which was less fun. It's weird that you have to bring your own weapons and ammo into the instanced events. Seems like it would be hard to really get into proper mayhem when you have to earn money to pay for every rocket you use. Also, the cops will come after you any time they see you in a stolen car, even if they didn't see you steal it, which is a pain in the ass.

So, are we going to try to organize this into a thing? I'm pretty sure I'm going to be picking up the PS3 version this afternoon so I'd be down for a regular game session granted GTAO is actually fun. That said, I'm on the same page as Toblix in that I'll probably want to play more after completing the SP, however long that takes.

I'd give it a few more days yet until they confirm the worst bugs - character deletion and item loss - have been fixed since you still have the SP game t play.

This might finally be kind of working alright for me. Early days but there's potential there once they get round to smoothing out the rough edges and adding/amending things. The only online game I've played in the last few years has been Street Fighter where you rarely encounter mics so going into free mode and instantly hearing children from all over the world swear at one another was a depressing moment that took the shine out of successfully logging in but I persevered and found a lot to like. I won a race yesterday which was really gay apparently, but then I found some nicer people from my homeland (strangers) to mutely tag along with and quite enjoyed myself for a couple of hours. The races in GTA have always been shit but when it's real people and they get angry and laugh at one another it's a lot of fun. Also it's cool when you win and it says your name and "Idle Thumbs" and you feel good because it's a better name than pretty much everyone else has for their crews.

I hope they can make it easier for friends and crews to play and stay together as that seems a bit sketchy at present, invites don't work for me at all, and I'd like a way to mute everyone I don't know or speaks a language I don't Mr Rockstar pls.

I hope they can make it easier for friends and crews to play and stay together as that seems a bit sketchy at present, invites don't work for me at all, and I'd like a way to mute everyone I don't know or speaks a language I don't Mr Rockstar pls.

A friend pointed out that there's an option in the interaction menu thing that lets you specify the scope of who you can hear. I set it to friends and crew and the silence is golden. I have no idea if it affects who can hear me though.

I hope to pick this up within the next few weeks but I'm torn between 360 and PS3 versions. Is everyone here playing on PS3? If so, that is what I'll probably get so I have some decent people to play with online. I've heard some pretty terrible things about playing online with random people in this game so I am hoping to avoid that if possible.

I don't think I'll ever play online again unless it's with a Thumbs crew. But I'm playing on 360.

I'm on 360. I played a bit with someone from the Thumbs crew a while ago, but I didn't recognize the name. Does "fryemaang" go by a different name here?

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying Online, so if anyone else on 360 wants to team up at some point (not this week – on holiday), feel free to invite me or however it is it works. It'd be nice if a few of us could get together, but perhaps that will have to wait for the PC version.