Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 124: Blockbuster Black Case

I only started it last night, and yeah it's a ton of fun! I've had a lot of experiences where i misjudge an opponent's cards and end up having to solo to the end of an encounter, and it's really satisfying. The way it always doles out a movement card is super smart. I did feel like I was on the rough side of some enemy armor rolls, though.

I load up my warrior with stabby cards and my wizard with dissolve armour just because that stuff vexes me so :lol:

I can relate to Sean's comments about not wanting to spend money on a F2P, because it seems like you're only getting a fraction of the content for what feels like a big investment.

I've been playing a little Blacklight: Retribution lately, which is a F2P shooter. And it's not a bad game, the mechanics are fun enough that I would have been willing to drop $40 on it, if it were a regular game. But I'm not willing to drop $40 in micro-transactions, because that would get me such a tiny slice of the available content in that game that it hardly seems worth it. It's got this whole weapon customization system, where you can swap out like six or seven distinct parts on most of the guns to get different stat adjustments and special effects. To really enjoy that system, you need to have several options for each part, so you can play with different combinations. But to unlock enough stuff to get to that point, you either need to invest dozens and dozens of hours, or spend way more than any shooter is worth. 

The value proposition is terrible, because they've designed it to catch whales, so it needs to be possible to spend hundreds of dollars without running out of things to buy. 

I can relate to Sean's comments about not wanting to spend money on a F2P, because it seems like you're only getting a fraction of the content for what feels like a big investment.

I had zero trouble plonking down $25 for the Card Hunter launch pack, which got me all the bonus adventures (the only thing that's really locked off from you if you don't give them money). I've already gotten more than that price in enjoyment out of it, and I anticipate I'll happily pay when they add new adventures, just like I used to do for the D&D modules on which so much of the game's look and feel is based.

Card Hunter is one of those games that does F2P "right" as far as I'm concerned, which is basically as fairly-priced DLC.

To your point that F2P often ends up feeling like you're paying a large amount for a relatively small increase in enjoyment, I agree. That's actually good news for people who don't want to pay though - they get the vast majority of the content for free, no strings attached.

I want to be on the same LoMas no babies train as Nick, but I'm feeling the same squeeze on time lately that Chris probably experiences on a much more regular basis. Yeah I could jump into a game but it's already only an hour before bedtime; I could jump in but I'm tired and I don't want to crap up a game and tank my rating; I could but I'm talking to someone and the conversation would get much more staccato, etc.

Which is all weird because when I THINK about playing, I'm really excited about doing it.

Does anyone know why my podcast catcher isn't also grabbing the Idle Thumbs logo image?

EDIT: This is also the case w/ the Idle Book Club. (Which is living up to its name, I guess...)

The logo's been broken for a few weeks because of a bug that popped up in the switch from http->https. It should be fixed now.

Beethoven's 9th has consumed my entire evening. I only stopped to eat and to badger my sis in law into buying it. It is amazing. I need to sleep now, but all I really want to so is listen to the whole thing again from another recordings perspective.

Also, as predicted, looking up Beethoven's 9th in iTunes gets you lots of hits for Beethoven the composer untill you scroll down to the movie section.

Edit: if anyone could recommend a good recording of it I would be grateful

too!