Tanukitsune

Catching up with you "retro wishlist".

I couldn't think of a better title: "Hey guys, how are you doing? Have you stopped to think about how many of the games you wanted to play that you actually did play and does playing all the games you wanted actually seem possible to you?" didn't fit in the text field. :P

The great Lucasarts Playthrough thread and my upcoming vacation had me think about how many games that I want to play but haven't and I was pretty surprised at how little I have left to find and play.

The Lucasarts Playthrough thread made me realize that I've played nearly every adventure game I wanted to, except maybe Willy Beamish and Orion Burger and the Humongous Entertainment games. I've never been able to find a copy of Orion Burger that wasn't in German via eBay or... other methods. ¬_¬U

I realized that if I wanted to play Mother 3, I'd have to emulate, because of the fan translation. I'd have to emulate the Dizzy games for the simple fact that I no longer have any system that could run them.

The best thing about catching up with older titles? They were made before the 20-60 hours everybody thinks should be a standard for every game today, even old RPGs are super short compared to any modern game.  

Have you ever stopped to think about older titles you haven't played yet? Do you actually think you might stand a chance of playing them all, if not owning them? I'd love to know!

Oh absolutely. Just this morning I made a list of DS games I still need to track down and it reads:

• Henry Hatsworth
  • Moon
  • Dementium: The Ward
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • 999 (only played a borrowed copy)
  • Theresia

I think with most of them I have a decent chance of getting them.

I mentioned in the 3DS thread but I'm hella looking forward to playing Henry Hatsworth again when my console arrives. (I can send it to you if you want some time).

I was never a fan of those mario and luigi games. I didn't finish Bower's Internal Examination.

I'm currently beginning my Fallout 3 journey. And I need to start the bioshock series.

Knee-deep in Steam now, it's so bizarre that I wouldn't have access to a game whenever I want it, but that I have to track down some archaic media carrier.

Seriously, just put every DS game ever in the eShop. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

So, do you simply not have older games that you want to play or have you played most of the older games you wanted to? DS games are still in stores, so they are not that hard to find.

I have a bunch of stuff I gathered over the years as things I should play, but I don't like to think about the exact number (my guess is about 70 games). I figure I'll be done with this batch in about 8 years, but by then more games will have come out. They are neatly arranged on my shelves by played and unplayed.

I'm very behind on Nintendo stuff especially, feeling very guilty about having yet to play a Metroid game even though I've had Zero Mission waiting for me for years and years.

I've kind of started getting rid of some fringe games I own that gave me a passing interest but probably are not that important. I also tend to never take anyone up on stuff they recommend either because I just feel guilty I'm not playing the games I own. All of this is made more difficult by the fact that I can't really move on from a game unless I 100% did everything. It's all so stressful to think about, along with man unwatched DVDs I own and books I haven't read yet.

Do you really 100% all games? That sounds... not fun? Specially since "100%ing" games is more tedious with each game. I can't even remember the last game I 100% unless it was a LEGO game.

I only got an NES, SNES, Dreamcast, PSP, Xbox, and PS2 (and thus PS1) long after they were relevant; so I am eternally behind the times. I also only ever owned a couple of N64 games. I've actually been using Virtual Console to catch up on a lot of things, which has been a great help. Right now I've actually been trying to round out my GBA, DS and Gamecube stuff.

It is so very hard to catch up with games. They can take ages to finish (assuming you're good enough to finish them at all), and tracking them down is a hassle even if you're willing to compromise (like playing Centipede without a trackball or Steel Battalion without its hilarious control deck thing).

I hooked my Super Nintendo back up a couple weeks ago and have been playing spurts of Donkey Kong Country, Mario All Stars, and Legend of Zelda A Link To The Past. None of these are games I haven't completed before but it's been long enough now that they feel pretty fresh again and I might want to complete them again after the LucasArts games.

In the past I had resolved to play through all of my NES games and made the mistake of starting with Ninja Gaiden. Needless to say I never completed a single game.

I completely skipped out on the GBC/N64/PSX/Saturn console generation because of PC games. I think those years are pretty much responsible for the best PC games ever made, and i remember being a complete PC master race troll about it.

With the release of the Dreamcast, I got over it and decided i should catch up on some of what i missed, and so i ended up playing a lot of N64 games over the course of a few years. (All legally obtained!) Majora's Mask ended up being probably my favorite Zelda game.

Oh absolutely. Just this morning I made a list of DS games I still need to track down and it reads:

• Henry Hatsworth
  • Moon
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Theresia

I have many of these games! Dementium is pretty cool, but it has an absolute pain in the ass save system though, it makes the game infuriatingly tedious.

Also, i've seen a copy of Theresia sitting in a local game store forever, i've been curious about it. Is it something i should just grab?

Yeah, Theresia sounds good.

Wow, so many people haven't even played older games, how many of you have played Castlevania Symphony of the Night? That's not even that old, but PSX seems too old for some.

Do you really 100% all games? That sounds... not fun? Specially since "100%ing" games is more tedious with each game. I can't even remember the last game I 100% unless it was a LEGO game.

Yeah pretty much, in different ways for different genres, every once and a while I'll give up or cheat because that list bit that finishes off your completion is too hard or just tedious. I tend to look ahead of time if a game is going to be too ridiculous to 100%, so I don't bother in the first place.

But yeah a lot of the time it's not fun but I feel compelled to do it. There's things like adventure games or Metal Gear where I play with a sheet showing me all the little easter eggs and fun things to try, and that's an enjoyable 100%, but then there's games like Shadow of the Colossus where I have to do a time attack mode on hard and do multiple playthroughs to finish. So that one is left unfinished for now. MGS2 and 4 were a ridiculous chore to get to 100% with that sucked the fun out of them by the end.

I haven't played Symphony of the Night but that's just because I don't much care for Castlevania.

Wow, so many people haven't even played older games, how many of you have played Castlevania Symphony of the Night? That's not even that old, but PSX seems too old for some.

SotN is definitely a game i made sure to catch up on, and i'm glad i did, it's certainly one of the best Castlevania games. (It's very easy though.)

I mean, and i did have an SNES and i played many SNES games. (I played Earthbound when it was neeeew!) I had friends with Genesis games and i played a lot of those too.

I definitely didn't have access to a TurboGrafx though, and Virtual Console has been pretty cool as a point of exposure for that library.

The NES and that earlier generation of games is more of a blind spot for me, because i never really had access to those growing up, they were just falling out of popularity when i was getting into gaming. (Though i've certainly played a hell of a lot of Nintendo's NES games through just... I mean, it's not like Nintendo is making the important ones hard to find.)

Have you played Okami on ps2 Tegan?

Yes! But for whatever reason it absolutely stutters to a crawl any time it has to play the little "area cleared" cutscene where all the plant life comes back, so I figure there's maybe something wrong with my copy or something. It's got an HD port now, so eventually I plan on biting the bullet and getting that, since I've barely made any progress anyway. I might even get rid of my PS2 altogether since the only games I've played for it have been Shadow of the Colossus, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, and Okami; all of which now have ports (I already have SOTC/Ico HD and the downloadable version of P3FES).

Symphony of the Night came out more than fifteen years ago.

I was six.

You are ooooooold.

OOOOOOLD.

I was just checking. It seems like something right up your alley:)

Symphony of the Night came out more than fifteen years ago.

I was six.

You are ooooooold.

OOOOOOLD.

Oi! Young whippersnapper: GET. OFF. MY. LAWN. ;P

Seriously, I remember when Zaxxon was the new hotness because it was isometric.

I have many of these games! Dementium is pretty cool, but it has an absolute pain in the ass save system though, it makes the game infuriatingly tedious.

Also, i've seen a copy of Theresia sitting in a local game store forever, i've been curious about it. Is it something i should just grab?

I only played the second Dementium, and it completely sold me on both Renegade Kid and their first person shooter engine. Hence my interest in Moon as well. Besides it taking place on the moon of course.

I don't know if Theresia is good, but it's one of those titles that seems pretty unique and visual novel-like, so that alone is grounds for a try. I wish the 3DS got more visual novels! The eShop is perfect for it.

Did the second Dementium have the same save scheme as the first one? (You autosave at door loads, but all of your progress in a given level is erased if you die. Combine that with levels that are very long and filled with item-hunting busy-work, and end-of-level bosses that are magnitudes more difficult to fight than anything else you come across. It turns an initially moody, successful horror game into something really fucking tedious. If there was more of a random element, or if your item-collection was preserved, it wouldn't have been so off-putting.)

As for Moon, it has a really, really slow start, but actually ends up trying to do quite a lot, it's an ambitious little thing. It just kind of ended up always being a little too slow and a little too dull to hold my interest.

That said, i actually like both of those games. Dementium actually manages to be effective as a horror game, in spite of the massive limitations of that hardware. I hope they try to do more things like it. (Though their 3DS eShop game, Mutant Mudds, is actually a really terrific little platformer.)

Can't compare of course, but Dementium 2 was a neat little shooter. A little short, but in terms of gameplay pretty interesting and diverse. I believe a lot of the complaints of the first game were dealt with.

I so hope Renegade Kid will make new fps entries on the 3DS. Oh who am I kidding, I already know they will. They're currently working on Cult Country, and Jools Watsham recently announced the rights to Moon will revert back to them in 2014 - with a possible new title on the way.

Damn, that other Moon games looks like the kind I'd be into, so it's in Japanese only then?

Yeah I've wanted to play Moon for a long time. The Japanese one. There's been translation projects in the past, but I don't THINK one's ever been finished. ):

• Henry Hatsworth
  • Moon
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Theresia

We have a Hatsworth copy you can probably get. I'd have to check with the missus.