Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 112: The Cast Of Us

I kept waiting for the Jake Gyllenhaal thing to somehow loop back around to video games by way of Prince of Persia.

...the movie, based on the game

...whose narrative framing device is that it's a story read by the main character

...who in the movie would have been Jake Gyllenhaal! Oh my god! It all fits! Video games! Jake Gyllenhaal! Donnie Darko! Citizen Kane of podcasts!

I was very much in the 'shorter is better' camp of game design right up until the point I had my face/life wrecked by 60 hours and counting of Dark Souls. DS is not a narratively intense game, but there's a definite narrative propelling you through the action and guiding you through the areas you have to navigate. The moment-to-moment decision making is so demanding and intense, though, that I've never really found it to drag for me, all of which mirrors to some degree the stuff that I Saw Desain was saying about The Last of Us and adds up to make me really wish that playing that game was feasible for me right now. Unfortunately, it isn't, and I'm going to miss the boat on another awesome-sounding PS3 game. Sigh. Fuck poverty.

Aside: is this the first time that someone's made a joke about what the episode title will be but then actually used that as the title of the episode?

Aside: is this the first time that someone's made a joke about what the episode title will be but then actually used that as the title of the episode?

I think a similar discussion took place for Episode 47: "The Lord of the Donk" or "And That's Who the Lord of the Donk Was".  I remember Jake/Chris laughing about using the entire phrase as the episode title.

There was also Episode 33: "The Kane of Lynch" or "This Crazy Robot" or "Rock the Mouse", wherein Jake read off a list of things Chris had said that could be episode titles.

There was also Episode 33: "The Kane of Lynch" or "This Crazy Robot" or "Rock the Mouse", wherein Jake read off a list of things Chris had said that could be episode titles.

But the joke in that case was that they went with the entire list as a single phrase rather than any of the individual potential titles.

But the joke in that case was that they went with the entire list as a single phrase rather than any of the individual potential titles.

Yeah, in terms of them stating that a phrase would be the episode title and then that phrase being the episode title, I think it's unprecedented.

Well, unless you count Episode 45: Episode Forty-Five.

Yeah, in terms of them stating that a phrase would be the episode title and then that phrase being the episode title, I think it's unprecedented.

Well, unless you count Episode 45: Episode Forty-Five.

In the post-Kickstarter episodes, there's a string of like fifteen episodes in a row where Jake makes a joke about what the episode title will be, and is never once correct.