Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Dota Today 3: A Rising Tide Lifts All Lords

Haha that gif is surprisingly similar, Captain Kidd is nowhere near as good a name as Kunkka though.

If you called the surrender option the "Concede" button, would that make it less onerous? As a sportsman, you offer your concession to the opposing team, who have bested you in the contest.

For some reason people look at sports that are timed like football and say "YOU'D NEVER GIVE UP IN FOOTBALL!", but 1) people totally concede games by putting in 4th stringers etc, 2) there are totally mercy rules at levels that aren't professional play and 3) there are sports/games where conceding is not only permitted, but built into the rules about how and when you can go about doing it. If you were playing chess and were definitively 15 moves from checkmate and everyone knows it, it is considered good form for the beaten party to resign rather than going through the motions for the extra amount of time prior to defeat. In curling it is customary for the losing skip to shake hands and end the game when it becomes mathematically impossible to tie the team that's winning, but at the same time it's also bad form to concede before 3/4 of the game has been played.

Plus if the requirements for surrender were either 4/5 or unanimous, since it seems people here overwhelmingly queue with at least one other person, someone always has your back. If two buddies agree that they're not going to surrender just when it's looking bad, the game goes on.

I seem to always the one who brings up LoL, but it's the best example of the surrender vote. Rarely playing that do I run into someone that quits because a surrender vote fails. Most of the time they will keep playing no matter how futile it seems. Sure once in a while you get a prick that either leaves or screws around. I think it's worth that small chance to get a surrender vote feature in dota so less time is wasted.

I seem to always the one who brings up LoL, but it's the best example of the surrender vote. Rarely playing that do I run into someone that quits because a surrender vote fails. Most of the time they will keep playing no matter how futile it seems. Sure once in a while you get a prick that either leaves or screws around. I think it's worth that small chance to get a surrender vote feature in dota so less time is wasted.

NOPE I BROUGHT IT UP FIRST AND SAID PRETTY MUCH THAT!

Though I'd prefer a unanimous vote being required, as opposed to League's 3/5.

Okay I was wrong. Whatever, still prefer unanimous. U:

Oh, by the way you can totally play Windrunner mid. She can lane anywhere. One advantage is she can probably outlane and definitely out rune control pretty much any mid outside of qop and puck, because she has a great nuke, good auto attack damage and animation and can windrun to runes. She also gets really strong when she is able to farm, not only from active abilities on support items, but also because of the extra damage provided by every item you build on her. The thing is she's so good as an offlane solo because of windrun, and works so well with just levels of her power shot and shackle (especially compared to a death prophet who needs farm to really function) that yes, it was a dick move to take that farm/xp from Pierre.

This podcast scared me a little, since from it spoke how utterly awful players on DOTA seem to treat each other. I rarely engage in online gaming, so I have no idea how ugly it is out there. But if I was playing a game and it entailed having to put up with verbal abuse, I would choose to play another game. I don't think I'd be willing to take it just to play a game, no matter how good.

Don't worry, Rodi! You'll get a bad apple once in a while but Valve has done an excellent job improving their reporting features and the community (the gentle and the unkind) are both responding to it positively.

Twig, great points on concession. The pulp of Dota is not the power-fantasy of ravaging a helpless opponent, it is winning by an inch against well-matched opponents. The players that get their jollies on ravaging might as well be playing Counter-Strike with aim assist at that point in the game.

Well I'm not going to go so far as to say I don't enjoy that good ol' stompin' feelin', but if the tradeoff of having a surrender option is that the other team is less miserable and I lose a bit of cold, hard fun, then I'm all for it. I've Been There. Heh. Plus, it means I might get an extra game in where I normally wouldn't. Even stomps can last a good forty minutes sometimes!

For Pierre, Captain Kidd from SNK's World Heroes 2.

lXobPHM.gif

I immediately thought of Ruby Heart from Marvel 2, but I guess those were actually just ghost pirates.

So this article reminded me of a discussion from this episode:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/league-legends/chat-restrictions-increase-win-rates-many-league-legends-players

It's an intriguing possibility that punishing toxic players and not allowing them to talk is actually better for team performance. Although we don't know enough about the data to say definitively why this happened.