Sign in to follow this  
darthbator

Notch makes the worlds oddest typing teacher?

Unity is stupendous. I don't see what anyone would have against it.

As for the typing thing, it's making my brain hurt trying to decide if I should be reading the words or focusing on the letters. I tend to lose at around the mid 200s.

Yeah, Unity is great. (Although there's no browser plugin for Linux yet.)

Tips: There's only one word per starting letter, so it supports a bit of memorization. You can also hit enter for more points depending on how many letters you've banked since the last time (up to 20?)

30 Flights of Loathing, Gurney and Let's Typing Some English are plenty odd as well, not to mention Typing of the Dead.

Yeah I was going to bring up Typing of the Dead as my favorite typing game (of course this is speaking relatively).  In terms of learning to type/getting better at typing, for me the thing that made me get good at typing was just playing video games as a kid, like CS or Everquest.  By the time I hit middle school and had been playing both of those for a few years I was pretty good and when our class had to go to the computer lab and play Mavis Beacon I always felt like a badass, though I was probably the only one of that opinion.  Later on I found out that Mavis Beacon was a fictional person and it's all gone downhill from there.

Mavis Beacon's a character, yeah. I think I worked it out around about the time I saw Mavis Beacon for Kids.

Mavis Beacon is fascinating.

Because of Mavis Beacon's race, some retailers were initially reluctant to display the product. However, once the popularity of the program became evident, many of these distributors reversed their decision and began to display the line of software bearing Mavis Beacon's image.

Unity is stupendous. I don't see what anyone would have against it.

My problem is with browser plugins, not unity. The problem with this embedded unity thing is that you cannot play the game without installing the browser plugin. I would rather just install the runtime and download the manifest which the runtime can open.

But then Unity Tech wouldn't be able to make fields of sweet greenbacks from the app export fee.

There is no fee to deploy a web build.

http://youtu.be/BH7m1_eedCE?t=50m21s

I skipped to the relevant part but I recommend watching the whole thing for some fun with history.

...this is the first time I've really felt like everything I knew was wrong. My entire world is turned upside down in the weirdest possible way.

Or any of the desktop OSs. Only mobile and consoles.

I noticed that when I make typing errors it's pretty much always letters out of order, so I look like I have dyslexia (dysgraphia?)  I realized that it's because one of my hands types faster than the other and when I misspell word it's always because of letters in a word on one side of the keyboard (right side) coming too early.  Ol' Leftie needs to pick up his game.

My problem is with browser plugins, not unity. The problem with this embedded unity thing is that you cannot play the game without installing the browser plugin. I would rather just install the runtime and download the manifest which the runtime can open.

But then Unity Tech wouldn't be able to make fields of sweet greenbacks from the app export fee.

Or any of the desktop OSs. Only mobile and consoles.

Yes, sorry, that's quite correct - I didn't express myself clearly there at all. Also I was thinking about Unity's business model and the possibility of allowing downloads to mobile from the web and ... then I was gripped by a violent fever and do not recommend playing Drop under those conditions at all :barf: (this means that I recommend it)