Sign in to follow this  
Argobot

Gears of War: Judgement

Is anyone playing this? I've been seeing a few positive reviews popping up, but it wasn't until I read an interview with Tom Bissell (who I didn't even realize was one of the writers on this game) that I became really interested in playing it.

My only concern is that I haven't paid any attention to the Gears of War series since the first game, so I wonder how hard it would be to drop in on it during its fourth installment.

Here's the Bissell interview: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/03/gears-of-war-writer-tom-bissell-on-video-games-and-storytelling.html

(In addition to discussing Gears of War, that interview has some good rumination on 'literary' games and some nice praise for The Walking Dead.)

No doubt it'll be a blast. It hasn't really been on my radar because of bioshock. I've heard it's short :/ not nesesarily a bad thing

I don't think you need to worry that you've missed 2 and 3, it is a prequel after all. They'll probably have returning characters from previous games and books but I'll doubt I'll even notice, these games tend to go in one ear and out the other, wait that's not right... They go in one eye then out one ear in the other ear out through the nose up through the mouth and out the other eye and I end up with a big pretty bow on my face.

Well, i've been hearing that the narrative in the game is absolutely nothing special, so probably don't get your hopes up. You know, maybe don't play Gears of War for its story, that's probably a thing to do.

Just in general though, Judgement is looking like a pretty thin offering packed to the brim with microtransactions.

Man I really enjoyed Gears of War 1 when I had a 360. I wish they'd do the PC thing so I could enjoy the video games again. IT'S IN THE UNREAL ENGINE C'MON.

Gears of War 2 i think was probably the most linear, least interesting game in the series. A lot of sequences just kind of rail-roading you down a very specific route, very little room to get creative with the combat spaces.

Gears of War 3 was pretty fucking stellar though, just an absolutely great game, and the updated horde mode was a riot. (Something that has not returned for Judgement!)

Finally! You and I disagree on this!

This is good, and I think I mentioned it last time this was discussed, as I was starting to worry that we were the same person.

Finally! You and I disagree on this!

What part of the thing i said are we in disagreement on?

What part of the thing i said are we in disagreement on?

So either you disagree about Gears or you disagree about disagreeing - everybody wins!

I think that Gears 3 is linear bollocks and that 2 was the best of the series.

Pretty sure we did argue about this before (in a polite manner that is befitting of this forum) I am just glad that remembered as I found it eerie how much our opinions seemed to be the exact same (love of Armored Core, Resonance of Fate etc).

As for Gears: Judge Dredd. It is pretty good, People Can Fly have made kept the formula the same but added some flavour to it. I really like the mini-challenges within each level and there is definitely an incentive to replay each area again.

I think that Gears 3 is linear bollocks and that 2 was the best of the series.

On the premise that i think we probably have had this discussion before, i guess i won't go into how crazy this sounds to me.

Armored Core, hey? Did you hear Verdict Day is coming to the west?

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/topic/7350-gears-of-war-3/?hl=gears#entry184968

And yes, yes, yes, I am very excited about Amored Core. I skipped V and wished I hadn't as it sounded like they incorporated some of the global war from Chromehounds.

But this isn't about Armored Core.

I cannot wait to finish my New Year's Resolution so that I can buy Judgement. I don't think the multiplayer modes are as interesting, although I do appreciate that they tried somethign different with survival and overrun.

I've said this in another forum, but I don't understand how the game that invented "Horde Mode" can just decide to leave it out in the next game. That's crazy, that's what Gears is known for!

How does the new class based 'overrun' work, I saw a little video of it and it looked mightily like horde mode to me. Is the only difference that the enemies are continuous rather than in waves?

Oh, the locusts are actually controlled by people. Booooo

Overrun is multiplayer structured much like Beast Mode from Gears 3. One side is humans with the regular 4 classes thing going on, the other side is locust with the points based purchasing of better and better enemies.

Survival is the same as above, but played as humans versus CPU locust. It's the closest option to the old Horde mode, but it only has 10 waves of enemies, none of the dynamic buildable walls and turrets.

So I started playing this a couple of hours ago and it's really fucking good! It's like gears of wars greatest hits. It looks really pretty too.

Did I mention this game is AWESOME. I've just finished the campaign co-oping with randoms when I can, it's really good, for me easily the best of the series. The other games always felt a little bit of a chore to play through, but this game was a delight. The game is split into like 30? Mini levels, most throwing completely different enemies at you each time you play and with optional handicap missions and the different difficulties and multiplayer and and and... The story and the bite size cinematics are good. Somehow they've actually made braid likeable! Anyway :tup:

Just look at this level

Somehow they've actually made braid likeable!

Gears of War Judgment is so good it'll make you like Braid - ign.com

Alternate snarky comment:

Braid?  Baird?  Ever wish you could rewind time?  I hear you can do that Gears of War Judgment.

Well it is a prequel

Booooooo, I thought this would be someone chipping in on how good the game is. It's very sad that the sales on this thing was atrocious, it's easily one of the best console games this year so far

Yo xbots, play dis fucking game yo

I really love Gears of War- but I actually love it so much that I go back and play Horde mode regularly...

...so I'm pretty up-to-date on these games and I'm not that interested in a couple enemy alterations. Sorry, People Can Fly! I think the games leading up to this were just super duper spot-on.

I would have been a lot more interested if PCF had made a sequel to the surprisingly entertaining Bulletstorm. It's kind of sad really, instead of getting to work on their own IP they're tasked to shovel out more of a franchise that there clearly isn't much market demand left for (and why should there be, what really is being added here?). I certainly couldn't give a shit about the "personal stories" of Cole and Baird. I had just about enough of it in 3, so much so that I never finished the game.

I equally didn't give a fuck about this game and just rented it as there was nothing else to play, and it completely won me over. I cared (cared is a strong word) I was far more interested in what happened in this game then I was in gears 1-3. I'll say it again, for me, this is the best game in the series by a mile

I played through aftermath today, it's a separate mini campaign which takes place during gears 3. It was really fun! Zombies! Can't have a triple A shooter without crowbarring zombies in somewhere.

I should give it a rest as I'm not winning anyone over :)

:) What the game does have is a burning tree in the first five minutes of the game which is majestic as fuck, I stared at it for about five minutes

Ooooooo pretty fire