melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

Yeah, it was interesting that they chose to focus on improved input lag on the controller, and then start talking about video game streaming. I guess the streaming lag forced them to work on input lag. Hopefully this will trigger some work on output lag as well. The amount of time the image stays in modern televisions just to pass the broken copy protection inspection and all the other rounds of processing is ridiculous. I'm sure John Carmack said that doing all of that in parallel wouldn't be super-hard, and he would know, right? Maybe 2014 will be the year of INSTANT EMOTION™ LOW LAG GAMING DISPLAYS. Maybe there's room for improvement in the HDMI spec as well.

The whole low-latency television thing is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. It's crazy to me that no one has made a TV aimed at gamers yet, with specs that would be desirable to people who use their TV almost exclusively for playing games. We've had so much awful, gimmicky, cross-marketed schlock thrown at us as GAMERZZZ, but no one has tried to market the primary thing you actually look at the entire time you're playing games to us. What gives?

I mean I'm not really worried about games. They always come in time. One of Sony's biggest strengths as a platform holder is their willingness to throw lots of love at developers - even the small, wacky ones. Microsoft is pretty OKAY at it (but then proceeds to scare them away), and Nintendo sucks (but is apparently getting better at it?).

A day late on actually watching stuff, I decided that, while composing a list of vocabulary for a French class I'm teaching tomorrow, I'd put on Giant Bomb's archive-cum-commentary thing for background. I think that the way GB did that is fantastic, and would gladly watch any future press conference streams (E3 included) in that manner. Having the GB crew MST3King their way through Sony's reveals is making this awesome.

Anyway, I just got up to the Jon Blow Witness trailer thing, and have to say that, while nothing looks particularly new or must-have, overall I'm impressed. Not "day 1 perch" impressed,  but probably "within a year or so of launch, if I've got the scratch" impressed. inFamous is one of my favourite series to come out of this generation, so that certainly helps. If they can improve the value of my Vita, tack on some stuff that makes the PS+ subscription I'm already loving a bit better, and promise me the same kind of indie/experimental support that they've had in the past, I'm totally in. The last year or so has totally turned me around on Sony as a platform provider, and so while I'm not chomping at the bit to buy a PS4, my interest has certainly been raised. I'm curious as hell to see what they're going to bust out at E3 now.

All this stuff Sony has shown so far... It just feels way too early to form an opinion on anything. In retrospect, I didn't think their conference was necessarily bad, just that it dragged, with way too much talking. I think as a hype building thing it possibly would've been way more effective if it had been an hour long and contained the same amount of information. 2 Hours; way too long. And the thing was a total E3 tease.

I get the feeling that E3 this year is going to be the most interesting one in a long while! I just hope that developers/publishers are thinking about the industry image a bit more. Last year, I mostly felt embarrassed.

The hooded KZ shadowfall character has been a model since Killzone 2. It's the spy multiplayer skin basicly. They aren't ripping off anyone.

Oh, I just thought some amazing cross-over was happening to make that trailer exciting. Didn't mean to imply anyone was ripping anyone off.. I guess if you're into the lore of Killzone you'd recognize that guy in an instant!

This guy was the saddest:

original.gif

The whole low-latency television thing is something I've been thinking about a lot lately. It's crazy to me that no one has made a TV aimed at gamers yet, with specs that would be desirable to people who use their TV almost exclusively for playing games. We've had so much awful, gimmicky, cross-marketed schlock thrown at us as GAMERZZZ, but no one has tried to market the primary thing you actually look at the entire time you're playing games to us. What gives?

There was this Sony 3DTV aimed at PS3 owners.

PS398078.png

Perhaps they'll do something similar for PS4.

The hooded KZ shadowfall character has been a model since Killzone 2. It's the spy multiplayer skin basicly. They aren't ripping off anyone.

BDoSXgECQAMRhn7.jpg:large

I mean I'm not really worried about games. They always come in time. One of Sony's biggest strengths as a platform holder is their willingness to throw lots of love at developers - even the small, wacky ones. Microsoft is pretty OKAY at it (but then proceeds to scare them away), and Nintendo sucks (but is apparently getting better at it?).

I never had a PS3 and there's a few exclusives (inFamous, Journey, Ni No Kuni) that I really would like to pick-up. I'm dissapointed that there's no hardware backcompat, but if their game streaming service actually works for PS3 games, and at a decent price (that's where onLive failed,) I could see myself picking it up for the back catalog.

I'm not sure. I've played a bunch of OnLive stuff and while I think it'd be ideal to try out a game real quick before you buy it or not, I'm not sure if I'd want to play whole games that way, as I was always aware of the latency. Maybe what Gaikai does is better/higher quality, but if it's like OnLive then it wouldn't be ideal, I think. I was impressed that OnLive worked as well as it did. Totally did feel all futuristic.

Yeah I'm not too hot on the stream-play stuff. To be fair, I've never tried it, but it doesn't seem like a thing I could ever fully get behind. Maybe on consoles, though, since those are usually spoon-fed experiences, anyway. Hmm.

If the pricing and selection are good. I see no reason why I wouldn't find myself streaming games occassionally. I really don't think resolution and graphics matter THAT much. So even if the streamed game isn't in full HD or has some "medium" level textures, it's totally fine if the convenience is there.

Resolution and graphics absolutely matter to me. Especially resolution. There's nothing I hate more than playing a game scaled up to a resolution it doesn't support. Lack of anti-aliasing is number two on that list. O' course, if we're talking PS1 games, well, they're almost universally hideous, anyway, so whatever. But a PS3 game... Well, I guess they're already scaled, since developers only ever do 720p? I dunno.

But do you really care if a game is in 720p or 1080p? You can't tell me you can really tell the difference between the two on a 40 inchish TV. It really doesn't matter.

But do you really care if a game is in 720p or 1080p? You can't tell me you can really tell the difference between the two on a 40 inchish TV. It really doesn't matter.

There's a difference, a big one, I can see it in movies, which are much better at scaling than games. In games it's rather amazing.

This is of course coming from a PC, but I've played stuff streamed out to an HDTV.

Oh, yes. The bigger the screen, the more it matters, 'cause with the same resolution (say, 720p), you get fewer pixels per inch. Really exaggerates the flaws inherent to low resolutions. You need more pixels per inch to make up for it! Well, need is harsh. It doesn't bother everyone. Bothers the living fuck outta me.

Hmm, I wonder how the PS4 will screw over the PSN+ subscribers? We are getting free games that will be incompatible with the newer system, and who knows, they might just scrap the whole thing?

Put I think they might integrate PSN+ with the streaming game service?

But it just hit me how bad the whole no backwards compatibility sounds, on the PS3 you can play PSOne, PS2 (We just got those, dammit!), PCEngine, PSN, minis and PS3 games... all of those will be unplayable on PS4? Then again, maybe that's the reason they won't do it, it is just too much to integrate? 

But a PS3 game... Well, I guess they're already scaled, since developers only ever do 720p? I dunno.

A lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games, shooters especially, will internally render at a resolution lower than 720p because they'd rather have the visual quality or frame rate.

I don't think you own a 40" HDTV because there's a world of difference on mine. If all things were otherwise equal (controller, game catalogue, online support) and I actually wanted to get a console, I'd definitely go for the one that could pull off the full resolution.

A lot of PS3/Xbox 360 games, shooters especially, will internally render at a resolution lower than 720p because they'd rather have the visual quality or frame rate.

Well, it's even worse than I thought!

Building a gaming PC and will wait out the launches this time around. Will probably pick up a console at some point, and if I have to chose between one designed by Mark Cerny or one developed by the marketing team at Microsoft, I'll just go with Sony.

But still, this story isn't complete without really knowing what Durango is...TO BE CONTINUED...