melmer

The Witcher 3: What Geralt Wants

There's a herbalist in a hut just north east of Oxenfurt. He should be able to fill in most of your missing basics.

There's a herbalist in a hut just north east of Oxenfurt. He should be able to fill in most of your missing basics.

Nice, I'll have to take a look.

Will the game let you buy a copy of a recipe you already know?

At this point, probably. I'm hoping the new update changes that, or indicates things you already own in some way. Really, I'll probably hold off on playing more until that releases.

Oooh, that's good. I figured because books did, the same would apply for everything else.

So in my experience so far, Nekker hearts seem to spawn only from Nekker nests, not from individual Nekkers.

I'm not sure that should be the case, because I've now cleared all of the map except for the small islands in Skellige of monster nests, and I'm still like 1 heart short of being able to craft the Superior White Raffard.

Also, for when you get to the late crafting recipes, you should be hitting up every bar you can find. Those bar shopkeepers tend to have the more rare liquors, which you need to craft White Gull, which is needed both directly on many high-level crafting recipes and for alchemy ingrediants you need for high-level crafting recipes (stuff like Albedo).

Also, you should check all the herbalist shops. Look for the scraps of paper in their inventory, so you can buy crafting recipes. There's one guy you run into fairly deep in (behind a level 22 or so quest) who sells all the recipes.

Do you mean literally from blowing up the nests, or from the monsters that spawn from the nests? I can say with certainty that I have picked hearts off of dead nekkers.

Hot tip: the bartender in Oxenfurt ALWAYS has at least 1 of the components for white gull every time you enter into a dialogue with him.

Man, I also spent a lot of time on White Gull making.

Another annoying thing about inventory-related systems is that when you sell papers you already used, such as the witcher gear maps, they start selling them to you again. But not selling them means always having to scroll down pages just to get at bombs and potions.

Also I just randomly realized another annoyance I had with the world: White Orchard isn't much of a white orchard compared to the white orchards surrounding Novigrad.

Thankfully, they claim they're fixing a lot of the inventory problems with the next patch, adding stashes too!

Also I just randomly realized another annoyance I had with the world: White Orchard isn't much of a white orchard compared to the white orchards surrounding Novigrad.

This feels like a pretty realistic bit of world building! Iceland/Greenland, that sort of thing.

I got to what I thought was the end, pushed past it excitedly, then the game kept going...

So I collected allies, fended off the baddies, went with Ciri to kill one of the baddy's leaders, and now it's asking me to collect allies again?

I burned out after that. I want to finish it, but I feel like it's suffering from Fantasy Genre Ending Extender Syndrome. Just like Lord of the Rings.

Heh yea it goes on a few hours longer, but eventually lets you do your own thing for a bit. On the upside I found the ending I got to be quite satisfying.

Agreed. I found the ending very meaningful and reflective in a good way of things I'd done throughout my time with the game. The Witching you do to finish is worth it.

In the vein of choices reflecting gameplay, I strongly insist everyone get the Skellige's Most Wanted DLC and play that. It's free and a very cool quest. It's higher level, right up near the end game.

That quest is broken for a lot of people at the moment, newest patch bugs it out on the last leg of it so it's not able to be completed.

I've experienced this hilarious bug since the latest patch where dudes that I knock down with aard never hit the ground. They get stuck mid-air.

That quest is broken for a lot of people at the moment, newest patch bugs it out on the last leg of it so it's not able to be completed.

Oh geez, really? That sucks so hard! That quest is so good at showing how you act in the world mattering.

I've experienced this hilarious bug since the latest patch where dudes that I knock down with aard never hit the ground. They get stuck mid-air.

I've had that too. Hilarious. I've also had one where the final strike I do leaves the enemy frozen in place like a statue. That's one was pretty creepy.

I got distracted from the Witcher for a couple of months, so I decided to start again, having got to Novigrad last time. I'm having a great time with Axii, punching above my weight by getting enemies that are too powerful for me to fight each other :). I'm back in Velen, just secured a lamp.

I'm back in Velen, just secured a lamp.

Just curious, did anyone else actually use that lamp as a lamp? I wandered through caves with it out all the time.

Ha. I did for a bit then just got the cat potion to see in the dark. I never quite understood why the improved version of that potion just makes it last longer. I can only think of one instance where you spend more than 5 minutes in a cave, and that's right at the start of the game.

Just finished this today. For some reason as I entered the point of no return cutscene, I got a notification that I had failed Reason of State, despite having completed the quest prior to getting to this point. From what I can tell, everything that happened in it still took effect, but it jumped from my completed quests to failed.

Ha. I did for a bit then just got the cat potion to see in the dark. I never quite understood why the improved version of that potion just makes it last longer. I can only think of one instance where you spend more than 5 minutes in a cave, and that's right at the start of the game.

good point, improving that potion creates annoyance rather than something useful. Still I keep doing it in all Witchers.

Wow, sounds like this game is very different from Skyrim!!!!!