melmer

GOTY

I had to google how to defeat the plant tentacle boss in the Witcher 2, thats one boss that needed a large red boil on it belly

Oh you mean you missed the ever-so-clever, contextual, impossible to see, fallen archway you have to run up in order to commence a quicktime event? And then followed quickly after by a fight pitting your puny chapter 1 character against a fully leveled Witcher in a 10x10 ft room.

Thankfully everything after that is fairly manageable. Save for the terrible, insta-fail, forced stealth sections which were at boss fight levels of obtuseness and difficulty.

puny chapter 1 character against a fully leveled Witcher in a 10x10 ft room.

oh yeah, his poison tipped blade didn't help much either. i'm pretty sure 2-3 hits and you'd be dead. That was rough

It's a shame because so much of that game was based on the immediate community reaction to it. But it's still worth playing if you've manage to avoid spoilers so far.

This, of all the games I played that came out this year it came the closest to being one of those one in a million brilliant games you'll remember for the rest of your life. When your first start it up, with the weird puzzles and odd story, the great music and sheer sense of exploration had me hooked and grinning like a madman. It was just wonderful. Unfortunately it kind of slows down after that, with ever more obscure puzzles, getting repetitive, and etc.

Oh, and I actually beat the "fully leveled Witcher in a 10x10 ft room", wimps. Even though it forces you not to win, which just sucks. I HATE that in RPGs. I won damn it, act like it!

I would have to say Borderlands 2 right now, followed by Xcom and Assassin's Creed 3. I am really looking forward to Far Cry 3 though, and it could definitely become my favorite. Hitman also looks pretty sweet.

Oh, and I actually beat the "fully leveled Witcher in a 10x10 ft room", wimps. Even though it forces you not to win, which just sucks. I HATE that in RPGs. I won damn it, act like it!

I also 'beat' him. My criticism of the bosses is that because they act as gates towards more content it means that it constrains how I played the rest of the game. I ignored alchemy and magic because I needed to be able to hit them as hard as possible. They were only a fraction of the gameplay but their impact on the whole was immense.

As for Dragon's Dogma, the world feels a lot like a combination of Oblivion and Dark Souls. There is plenty to see but you have to be careful as sometimes you will wander into areas that will get you murdered. The levelling system and Pawn structure is awesome and the big encounters are deeply satisfying. Overall it might be my game of the year.

It's always funny when people vote on games that haven't been released yet. But I was going through that Spike TV list and I noticed that Diablo 3. I had totally forgotten that existed.

It's always funny when people vote on games that haven't been released yet. But I was going through that Spike TV list and I noticed that Diablo 3. I had totally forgotten that existed.

Holy shit Diablo 3 WAS this year

Hahaha, I totally forgot as well! Though I was pretty disappointed with the game, I have grown a little milder towards it, as time will do, but it still certainly isn't GOTY material.

In that respect how can we judge games like super hexagon with mass effect 3. How much game does a game have to game to be considered a game. game.

As far as I'm concerned, it's a game if I enjoy playing it and have fun. Super Hexagon I've sunk a good 20 hours into through sheer determination to complete it on old hardware that caused loads of lag and stupid deaths that drove me mad, but I still had to beat it. That's the very essence of what a game should make you feel, that desire to best it. And Super Hexagon PC version is very nearly complete too, Terry Cavanagh was tweeting today. So I get to hate myself all over again for not having it completed

The simple things have very much been what are driving my GOTY feelings this year, I've bought quite a few big budget games that have just sat there becuase I've not felt like playing them whenever I have stuff that's just so much more immediately entertaining, even though I might only play it for 10-15 minutes at a time.

Super Hexagon, Hotline Miami and Thomas Was Alone are the 3 titles that have stood out this year more than others, and I've loved them from start to finish for one reason or another.

I think these GOTY awards should be split up into the old school magazine review criteria of 'Graphics','playability','longevity' etc

I'd really struggle if you asked me what my goty was...

but break it up and it becomes (slightly) easier for me,

what game have you spent the most time playing: sleeping dogs, x com, skyrim?

What game looked the best: Fez, darkness 2

Best story: Alan wake American nightmare, witcher 2

Most enjoyable to play: halo 4, orcs must die

mutiplayer: soul calibur 5

having a proper think about it now sleeping dogs was the game i probably had the most fun with this year

And Alan wake American Nightmare and Fez had a little special something going on

Its so much easier to do the most disappointing game of the year, SF x T and Res evil 6 capcpom

Man, SCV had a really amazing MP suite, and great netcode too. I couldn't stand to stick with it though, the community around it was unbelievably toxic and the solo content was uncharacteristically sparse.

It was a great soft reboot of the series' mechanics though, i would have liked to have had a reason to keep playing it, i've always been a big fan of that series.

I think these GOTY awards should be split up into the old school magazine review criteria of 'Graphics','playability','longevity' etc

Over my dead body

One Game to rule them all,

One Game to find them,

One Game to bring them all

and in the darkness phwn them with a sticky grenade.

One Game to rule them all,

One Game to find them,

One Game to bring them all

and in the darkness phwn them with a sticky grenade.

Die.

If I had to pick a single game, Crusader Kings 2. But I don't, so list will come later!

I spent a bunch of time with Sleeping Dogs this weekend. It's pretty good, you guys. I think it may end up in my top whatever. Action hijacks are awesome, but also make me really miss Just Cause 2, which was my goty 2010.

Now that I'm in the gunplay part of Sleepy Dogs I'm beginning to rapidly lose interest. The fighting is really fun, but the story missions aren't very well designed (at least as far as shooting goes, it feels very generic cover-shooter) and many of the side missions are transparently repetitive. If I have to drive one more guy's truck off a pier or run back to my apartment to arbitrarily tag a pre-decided drug dealer this game is getting uninstalled!

Ultimately this may be a result of my fatigue with GTA style sandbox games. While the worlds are beautiful and richly detailed, the range of activities you can do are so narrowly defined that I soon lose all will to keep playing. Everything seems like a chore, instead of a fun immersive experience.

Yeah, I can't speak to the gunplay. I'm just really enjoying the Batman-style fighting. It's probably the best implementation of it outside of the Arkham games that I've seen, and I'm having a great time just getting into brawls. Good times.

Everytime I would leave my apartment someone in the hallway would get a flying kick in the face

AND IN THE GAME...

Or for you Dota 2 players. I know it says it's a "deny" voice clip, and it may well play during a denial, but I swear I hear him say it when he kills people too - particularly with Culling Blade - and it's hilarious to me every time.

'Gaming acronym of the year' has to go to COD BLOPS 2, it makes me giggle every time i think of it

simple thing please simple minds