toblix

Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse Kickstarter

I was actually feeling the opposite, it was nice meeting the artists, but it was casually mentioned that Tim had been so busy with business stuff that he hasn't had time to work on DFA. In the end he had to hire someone. As much fun as it was seeing where Peter Chan works, I was more interested in hearing more about production problems.

Fingers crossed the next one will have more "warty sausages" in it.

I was worried it would end up being a lot like those "making of" videos, where they talk about everything after it's done "and here's level 2!", etc. Coming in with those expectations I like that there's a lot of Tim going "shit, what are we doing?" and then figuring it out as we go along. That's what I got out of the first two episodes, anyway.

I can see what you're saying from a production perspective though. It has favoured the creative side of things heavily, probably because production isn't perceived as being interesting. But it could also be because pre-production has less emphasis on, well, production. :)

(also, the behind the scenes history is pretty fun)

They detail the character modeling and process in this thread: http://www.doublefin...iewthread/7542/

They use an example that's not going to be in the game. I think the little clip at the end looks amazing, but it's skeletally animated just like the BS animations.

You haven't watched the other episodes yet? How come?

Mad Men, Newsroom, Game of Thrones, and the odd WWDC talk. :)

I started watching them late... like Thrik I wasn't looking. But two weeks ago I ran out of TV so watched ep1 on a whim. I'll get around to watching the rest of them at some point, but I'm in no hurry / want to make it last a bit longer.

So, shit. This is out in three days!

There doesn't seem to have been much in the way of new media to complement the imminent release, I can only assume that a whole stack of screenshots and videos will be out soon. But what I will say is that this just tickled my nostalgia bones very nicely:

wpid-130403_devdiary_nico1_zps8701f307.j

Nico_Apartment_Wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg

d8b28c213f4c6716b40d32388bb33ffe_large.p

Ohhh man, Nico's appartment. I loved going there to discuss 'ze knights templaaar'.

Also, from an environmental standpoint, how nice is that place to live? The window frames, the view, plants all around... I could live there.

I have the beta on my system, but I haven't tried it yet. I don't want a preview before it's actually done.

The beta footage that link goes to looks great to me, I think I'm going to enjoy this. :tup:

It evokes good memories seeing some returning characters from Broken Sword 1 & 2, and the artwork really hits the original style IMO. Certainly beats this mess.

The 3D models being pre-rendered into sprites that then look completely out of place perspective-wise irks me to no end (instead of having them be real-time, which could've had the exact same style), but other than that it looks wonderful.

EDIT: The perspective isn't noticeable in-game anyways (in that beta footage), just stuck out to me in that poster on the last page. It still bothers me (especially as pre-rendering means the size of the game is probably 10x what it could've been..), but more on a OCD level..

d8b28c213f4c6716b40d32388bb33ffe_large.p

You know, until you just said that I didn't even realise they were pre-rendered sprites. I just assumed the 3D models were being rendered Grim Fandango-style. I have to say, in the footage I've seen it definitely doesn't stand out as a problem — most of the game is designed in a sprite-friendly way like the classics it seems. It is an odd decision considering that modern hardware should be capable of rendering that kind of thing in real time. If the game made use of Disney-esque 'fluid' animation I could see an argument for it.

Finished part 1 today. It's the boring part, the whole set up to the mysterious part which usually is the fun part of Broken Sword games.

Would anybody recommend the Vita version? I'm leaving on vacation next week and I've yet to play the game and this would be a good time to play it.