elmuerte

Music of the games of video

People who are into video game soundtracks should check out Top Score podcast. It's part of Minnesota Public Radio and hosted by Emily Reese who also hosts classical music stuff I think. Each episode she has a composer of a game that's come out come on to talk and there's been a huge assortment. Darren Korb (Bastion) was on one of the most recent episodes, and Austin Wintory (Journey and Fl0w) was on a recent one too. Ron Fish, who did Arkham City/Arkham Assylum was on it one time, so was Bear McCreary who did Dark Void (as well as the Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, but those aren't games) and Bill Elm who did the music for Red Dead Redemption which I thought was amazing. All the episodes have been great, even ones where she's talked to a person who composed a score for a game I didn't play. One of my favorite podcasts, I'd recommend everyone check it out.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/programs/top-score/

There's a Humble Music Bundle available until August 1st! http://www.humblebundle.com/

Re: the Spyro music by Copeland: That stuff is SO WEIRD and fanciful, perfect for Spyro but the guy has applied that treatment to some other things with odd results... I saw a movie once long ago that was scored by him, and basically sounded just like Spyro, but it was TOTALLY WRONG for what was happening on-screen. I'm seriously talking like some future death sport that resembled rollerball or derby! Having played Spyro before seeing whatever film that was... trippy and hilarious.

[edit] I think I found it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0158409/

ActRaiser

Platformer, Civ Builder, Genius.

Filmore

Birth of the People

I see your Jeremy Soule's Total Annihilation, and I raise you a Jeremy Soule's Morrowind:

I think the GOG version has that in FLAC and you can get it somewhere as MP3 free & legal!

But I might as well point out again how awesome Tomáš Dvořák and his Machinarium soundtrack are

The Machinarium soundtrack was my lady-wooing music in the first year of Uni. If you think about it, isn't love the greatest point and click adventure game of all? (No, Fate of Atlantis is.)

The Rollcage soundtrack is strangely significant to me. It was my first exposure to music that wasn't my parent's. I felt an odd ownership towards the music and aesthetic.

I really fucking love video games and the video game soundtracks.

So many unforgettable classics in this thread. The shame is not enough people in the world know that all this exists.