nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

Thanks to Comixology and Dark Horse Digital I have a bit to read too, a few volumes of Atomic Robo, the entirety of Terry Moore's Echo and Blacksad. 

I'm sure there will be a Halloween sale and this list will grow even more.

Blacksad is super good, especially the art.  I've been meaning to read Echo since I really liked Strangers in Paradise.

I'm contemplating ordering premium Storm Collection of Don Lawrence. It's only like 550 euros for the complete set.

Don Lawrence work is absolutely amazing, and the Storm series is my favorite. It's nothing like to shitty comics like Rodent-man or Y-people.

Still trying to parse the bolded sentence, but I love Don Lawrence's art, it's so amazing.

I got Batman and for some reason wasn't able to get X men because I kept thinking Y The Last Man, but mainly I didn't get if "to" was supposed to be "the" or if "like " was supposed to be "compared".

I started reading Cat-Eyed Boy online because I want to know if it's worth dropping fourty bucks on, and damn is it good. I love the crazy movie poster sensibilities of old horror manga.

cZYJsQv.jpg

I got Batman and for some reason wasn't able to get X men because I kept thinking Y The Last Man, but mainly I didn't get if "to" was supposed to be "the" or if "like " was supposed to be "compared".

should have been "those"

Alright fair enough. Also I already said this, but after your post I Google image searched Don Lawrence and his artwork is so god damn good.

So I've been thinking; would anyone be interested in doing a book club for comics? It would be a way for you jerks to force me to read at least one superhero comic and I, in turn, to make everyone endure at least one Japanese comic from the sixties. The only real issue in my eyes is that comics tend to not be readily available at libraries or digitally.

Also there was a sale on manga at my local comic shop so I picked up Cat-Eyed Boy and, as a bonus, grabbed a French edition of The Book of Human Insects that I didn't even know was there.

The only superhero comics I've read are the digital Dark Horse ones, because they are the only ones that sell omnibuses, I've yet to see any DC sale on Comixology (maybe I should go to a digital DC store) and the Marvel ones that go on sale are only single issues....

I also have... a weird taste in comics...

jsf504a.jpg

But I do like the idea of a comic book club! :3

By the way, Cat Eyed Boy has a random character who looks exactly like Ronald Reagan in close-ups.

wYuKWUo.png

Maybe we should figure out which kind of comic we like to read or wouldn't mind reading?

Maybe a poll as in which kind of comic do you like to read? But do we support multi-option polls?

-European comics

-Marvel

-DC

-Dark Horse

-Golden Age/Silver Age

-Shonen

-Shojo

-Etc, etc

I guess we should try to make sure we have all the options before making the poll?

-Marvel

-DC

-Dark Horse

-Shonen

-Shoujo

-European

-Small Press (Phantagraphics, etc)

-Ashcans (I think that's the name)

-EC Horror comic style comics (Tales from the Crypt) This one sounds like a good start point seeing the time of the year it is.

Hmm, I kinda like this idea... Does anybody like the idea of picking a comic from before the dreaded Comic Code started? Or at least something more horror themed, like Lenore, Vampirella, or something like that?

Genres seems like a better call.

I nominate horror for first pick, in the spirit of the season.

Well, is anybody against having a horror comic as the first pick?

As for genres then it would be:

-Superhero

-Comedy

-Crime

-Drama

-Young Adult

-Action

-Horror

-"Life" comics (Drama-comedy light?)

-Autobiographies

-Children's comics

Am I forgetting anything? Since we are going by genre, mangas have the same genres, so I don't think they should get their own section? Or should they?

(PS: We are so reading Sailor Moon when the new show is aired!)

We could also just pick a theme each month (or however long) and then do one western comic, one eastern comic, and then one superhero comic.

I feel like that would be entirely too many superhero comics in the long run.

I'd be comfortable with including superheroes in thematically appropriate genre selections though. Like if this were a tagging system or something I'd put Zot! under action, sci-fi, romance, slice-of-life and LGBT.

OK, here's some suggestions for Halloween, I'm suggesting those that can be found digitally to make them easy to find:

-Scary Godmother

-Creepy #1: Dark Horse's Tales From the Crypt, the first issue of the modern comics is free or...

-Creepy Archives volume 1: The classic ones

-Tales From the Crypt "modern version" is available at Comixology

I had my heart set on the original EC comics, but I can't find them digitally.

I really like the idea of a Comic Book Book Club, so I decided to create an account.

My suggestion is Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. I haven't read it yet, but with its mix of classic noir and Lovecraft inspired horror it seems as if it would be a good fit. (And I like the idea to start with a creator owned book by a writer of superhero comics. Best of both worlds etc.) Since it's still ongoing I'd suggest that we read the first volume. And it's released by Image Comics, so it's certainly available digitally.

Otherwise there's always the highly praised Locke & Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. That first volume would even be named "Welcome To Lovecraft." So yeah ... Lovecraft all the way down.  

But all suggestions yet would be great as well. Regarding the old EC stuff I found this: http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/the-ec-comics-library-2.html?vmcchk=1 and this: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1444/dark-horse-publish-ec-library-tales-crypt-coming-h btw.

Considering it's already Halloween and we haven't decided what to read yet... I don't think it really matter if we choose a horror comic or not anymore... :P

I really like the idea of a Comic Book Book Club, so I decided to create an account.

My suggestion is Fatale by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. I haven't read it yet, but with its mix of classic noir and Lovecraft inspired horror it seems as if it would be a good fit. (And I like the idea to start with a creator owned book by a writer of superhero comics. Best of both worlds etc.) Since it's still ongoing I'd suggest that we read the first volume. And it's released by Image Comics, so it's certainly available digitally.

Otherwise there's always the highly praised Locke & Key by Joe Hill and Gabriel Rodriguez. That first volume would even be named "Welcome To Lovecraft." So yeah ... Lovecraft all the way down.  

But all suggestions yet would be great as well. Regarding the old EC stuff I found this: http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/the-ec-comics-library-2.html?vmcchk=1 and this: http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1444/dark-horse-publish-ec-library-tales-crypt-coming-h btw.

I love both Fatale and Lock & Key.  I haven't gotten around to reading the final L&K chapter, I'm assuming it's done by now so I should probably check it out.