Sign in to follow this  
colinp

Gaming headphones

Hiya!

What headphones are the thumbs using in their new office computer? I noticed Jake wearing them in the Mincecraft Twitch TV cast..

Anyone else have any recommendations for gaming headphones?

I have these, and am quite happy with them. They're called G4ME, so you know they're for cool gamers.

Hmm, those look very good and my HD 555s are held together with tape because I've been mean to them...

I can recommend Sennheiser as well. I have HD 555s and they are not held together with tape.

I assumed he was referring to headsets (i.e. with a microphone.)

I have these, and am quite happy with them. They're called G4ME, so you know they're for cool gamers.

I have those too, and I am very happy with them. *G4ME bro fist bump*

I'm more interested than headphones than headsets, but still interesting to look into.

The G4ME and the HD 555's look like Big Ass Headphones, is that a fair assessment? Whatever Jake had on didn't look quite so large, but my sense of scale might be off.

Yeah, I guess they're pretty bulky, but not more than most circumaureal (enclosing the ears) headphones.

I had the HD 515's (latest version is the HD 518), which are essentially the open version of the HD 555's, and they weren't really that bulky at all. That said, I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD 201's, which are a couple steps down in sound quality but much lighter and more comfortable in the humid, hot weather of Florida (yes, it permeates my old rented house). Also it doesn't hurt that they're pretty cheap and thus disposable after my cats and sweat put them through the ringer - http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD201-Lightweight-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0007XJSQC/

Huh, my HD 555's are open. And light.

I'd love something like HD 598 with a mic attached.

I got the HD555's as well and yea, they're open. And light too. They won't actually press against the ear, but against your head, making them super comfortable; I can wear them all day without problems. Sometimes I even forget I have them on.

Oh, and the sound quality is pretty good too, plus the entire thing is modular, so when something breaks you can easily replace the part yourself. Supposedly the only difference between the HD555's and the HD585 is a strip of foam in the shell, which I removed. Quite nice!

HD 555s are really comfortable in my opinion. I really like the fact that the cushion is covered in fabric and not leather. Much less ear-sweat.

Offtopic for the HD 555 owners: http://www.head-fi.o...omparison-shots

I assumed he was referring to headsets (i.e. with a microphone.)

Yeah, sure. But I assume that Sennheiser headsets are similar in quality to Sennheiser headphones.

EDIT: PiratePooAndHisBattleship got there first.

I've always been more in favor of buying good headphones and just using a seperate mic. I had an expensive 5.1 headset quite a few years ago, like a real 5.1 set too not one with virtual 5.1, and I get just as good sound positioning from both my speakers and my headphones which are Sennheiser HD 595s and then I use a clip on mic (http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ) which sounds good, at least as good as what I'd assume would be on a gaming branded headset. If I really wanted quality I would use a real michrophone, I even have a nice microphone with a stand that's on my desk I use for recording various music related things but for everything that isn't that I never even bother.

Huh, you guys are right, the HD 555's are indeed open. I guess the 515's were really just a budget version of the 555's, though in comparison I really didn't notice much of a difference with the range of sound I usually listen to on my PC. Nonetheless, those mid-tier Sennheisers are indeed the best because of the fabric padding on the cups. I still do dig the HD 201's as a low budget, super-light alternative.

I really liked these until they finally broke recently after several years of service. http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR-60i-Headphones/dp/B0006DPMU4 If I had money, I'd buy another pair right now. Until then, I'm stuck with really crap quality earbuds, and some old speakers that are going out after even more years of service. D:

I don't really think it's necessary to spend more than a hundred bucks on headphones... Audiophiles will scream from the roof that I'm wrong, but, uh... Yeah.

I also own these. They're good, but they are also bright and light on bass. Be aware.

I have this idea that gaming headsets are more for comfort and having a non-shitty mic than audio quality. Whenever I use them, it's to be able to hear people talking in Skype or other chat systems with even lower sound quality, so I turn any other audio down to almost background level. I haven't heard a single song on them, but I bet they're not super great for music.

It's not that they're bad for music, but that they are adapted from the HD555 (I think, it might be the HD590) model. Actually, it's pretty much the same internals, but with an attached microphone. Sennheisers are known for being neutral/bass light, this coupled with a nice soundstage makes these a good choice for games but if you like to listen to rock/house/drumandbass/club/electronic music emphasizing bass they are not very fun. There is a distinct lack of

with these headphones. If you're into that.

On the cheaper side, I've been really happy with my Sennheiser HD 280 headphones—available for <$100. They're closed and don't leak sound.