toblix

G4ming Keyb0rdz

So everyone knows you gotta have a sweet keyboard to prove yourself on the virtual battlefield and score all the points. I've had this beauty for close to ten years:

logitech-elite-keyboard.jpg

It's the computer component I've held on to the longest by far. My keyboard so old, yo, it has a shop button that takes you to the internet store. Just look at it:

elite520.jpg

Anyway, I decided I should get with the times and get a proper modern keyboard so my Starcraft RPM gets gooder. And now I've ordered a new one.

Discuss: Are you happy with your keyboard? Are you unhappy? What's your favourite layout? Do macro keys suck or are they awesome? USB or PS/2? Do you use your keyboard as a USB hub? Do you carry it around in a carrying bag or case? Did it come with a carrying case? Did you buy one separately? Are you crazy?! What's your feeling on the Nordic layout? I think it's terrible. Do you use the Windows key at all? Wrist rest for lyfe or for suckers? One of the reasons I've waited so long with replacing the keyboard is I'm afraid it'll trigger a horrible carpal tunnel syndrome and my wrists will burst with tiny fragments of bloody, twisted gristle. What are your thoughts on pulsating LED backlighting?

Terrible answer bro. Tell me about your keyboard. What is it like? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Is the actuation force just right? Cherries? Alps? Topres? What about the cable? Is it braided?

Terrible answer bro. Tell me about your keyboard. What is it like? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Is the actuation force just right? Cherries? Alps? Topres? What about the cable? Is it braided?

I only work/play games on my laptop now, so... it's the one that's attached. :(

BUT -- My mouse is a Razer mouse and it's freaking sweet.

I hate my keyboard, it is awful. The case is warped, and the keys randomly miss keystrokes when i type too fast.

I need to get a better one.

Ideally something cheap, widely available, clicky and responsive, with a complete layout. (Who decided i don't need a home button? What if i actually need a home button?)

I want a... like... retrofitted model m, those things were always awesome.

If your derail this thread with mouse I'm gonna explode!

stock-photo-furious-young-man-with-a-joystick-for-game-console-80344924.jpg

(Who decided i don't need a home button? What if i actually need a home button?)

Boy, that'd annoy me. I use my home key all the time.

Ideally something cheap, widely available, clicky and responsive, with a complete layout. (Who decided i don't need a home button? What if i actually need a home button?)
What? There are keyboards without Home? I can maybe understand PrntScr or Pause/Break, but Home?!

Home is great for getting to the beginning of things.

Apparently you should buy one of those mechanical keyboards because despite looking more industrial they are supposedly much better when it comes to the nuts and bolts of actually pressing keys down... there's some keyboard test you can do where digital keyboards will fail as they can only take so many inputs at a time, and the travel of the keys is very on/off (which I'm guessing refers to how on some keyboards you can get away with pressing the key down without it registering).

I wouldn't know myself but 'dats what I read! [/disclaimer]

If it's the same one I think it is I actually had the same keyboard you're looking to get rid of, the calculator button on it is still something I can't train myself to get out of the habit of reaching for.

Yeah, the calculator button is sweet, but I never use calc at home, so I can do without. I've also never had a problem with ghosting or blocking, but I get the impression I've just been lucky, so naturally my new keyboard has n-key rollover, so I can push all the keys at once for massive damage. I think this is pretty much the definitive guide to mechanical keyboards.

Well, my only computer right now is a laptop, and my cat knocked a glass of water on to it a while back. Currently my keyboard has no functioning a,q,1 or escape keys. I have to use the on screen keyboard. Total bummer. I also have a kindle fire, which I am writing this on. Its virtual keyboard sort of wicks.

The only things that're special about my keyboard that I actually notice and use on a regular basis are media controls. I don't use the actual play/pause and skip buttons very much, but I use the volume control and mute button constantly as it's easier than getting up and going over to my speakers.

When shopping for a new keyboard you need to ask yourself the question: "What should my keyboard say about me?"

This is my keyboard, the Logitech G11.

Logitech-G11-Gaming-Keyboard1.jpg

• Glowing keys: "Ready to do business at any time of night or day, in any time zone or cave."
  • Twin carry handles (??): "Man on the go, always fully equipped. Grabs an opportunity with both hands."
  • 18 programmable keys: "Accepts no compromises. Unconventional. Creative. Single."

What? There are keyboards without Home? I can maybe understand PrntScr or Pause/Break, but Home?!

I don't have an end or insert key either.

Like i said, this keyboard is terrible.

I have a Razer BlackWidow, it's mechanical and I love the feel of the keys. I do play StarCraft 2 quite a bit on it, feels good. No USB on it, I'm used to many layouts and switch between them without thinking so layout doesn't matter for me, and windows key is my friend!

I just walk into clas ohlson (a cheap swedish hardware store), and buy the white box that says KEYBOARD on it in black letters.

apple-aluminum-wired-keyboard-mb110ll-a-ultra-thin-5b7bf.jpg

...and I love it. The wireless version is garbage, though. No numpad and laptop-style small arrow keys and an Fn key where I expect Control to be.

I've got a Corsair K60. It was on sale on Newegg for so I picked it up (previous one was a horrible-for-gaming Apple keyboard). It's great for gaming as it has cherry reds and the wasd and first 4 numbers are extra strength heavy rubber topped keys. It also has a great wrist rest. For typing, it's terrible, or maybe I'm just used to the tiny Apple keys that you barely have to depress to get a response.

k60_top_us_k_2.png

I have fond memories of my Keytronic Ergoforce. Mainly ones where my roommate couldn't sleep because I was typing so loudly.

kta2001-022.jpg

This is my keyboard, there are many like them, but this is mine:

keyboard.jpg

A wireless dell keyboard I mostly bought for the media player controls.

I've got a Corsair K60. It was on sale on Newegg for so I picked it up (previous one was a horrible-for-gaming Apple keyboard). It's great for gaming as it has cherry reds and the wasd and first 4 numbers are extra strength heavy rubber topped keys. It also has a great wrist rest. For typing, it's terrible, or maybe I'm just used to the tiny Apple keys that you barely have to depress to get a response.

k60_top_us_k_2.png

I have the big brother:

k90_top_us_lit.png

It's good for typing and games and everything.

Is that enough G buttons? What if you need more?

In my case, nothing.