Sign in to follow this  
Lu 

The Banner Saga

I backed that when it first went up based on the animation alone. The fact that it's also a game I would play anyways is just a plus.

Looks really cool, what a nice art style! The name is a little strange though, it seems silly or even too self-referential for the genuinely attractive world it represents. On the basis of the name I expected comedy, not a Viking drama. Still, very impressive!

Thanks for posting this. Games like these usually aren't my thing, but the art and animation look beautiful.

I'm trying to meet these guys in person because I really want to talk to the animator to steal his secrets. It looks really awesome.

Really looking forward to this one too. I saw it somewhere a little before the kickstarter and as soon as that popped up it was an instant backing from me.

It was the Eyvind Earle inspired background art that did it for me. I love his stuff.

Psyched. I love the mechanics of the multiplayer version, but competition is pretty intense so a campaign is welcome.

This thing's finally coming out Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it.

What the fuck this game looks amazing. The art I mean. This is the first time I've actually looked at any video of it. I only remember glancing at (what I believed was?) concept art during the original Kickstarter run. DANNNNG guys I'm in love.

With vocals in Icelandic. My expectations could not be any higher for this thing.

I should be getting Episode 1 at some point for the KIckstarter donation thing. There's a launch party thingy in Austin sometime later this month I'm going to. I can't wait. I really want these guys to do well so that I can work for them!

I should be getting Episode 1 at some point for the KIckstarter donation thing. There's a launch party thingy in Austin sometime later this month I'm going to. I can't wait. I really want these guys to do well so that I can work for them!

Man, this game really snuck up on me. I have  been trying to keep myself in the dark with this game so I am not really sure of the scope of this anymore, trying to go in fresh. 

So have any of you played the multi-player "Factions" game? I ask because the combat system was hard to wrap my head around for a while. Rock Paper Shotgun seemed somewhat disappointed with their preview of single-player and I suspect that some of that is because they never really understood how to be effective with the combat-system.

I love the combat system now though.

So have any of you played the multi-player "Factions" game? I ask because the combat system was hard to wrap my head around for a while. Rock Paper Shotgun seemed somewhat disappointed with their preview of single-player and I suspect that some of that is because they never really understood how to be effective with the combat-system.

I love the combat system now though.

I had a similar experience. I didn't initially understand the relationship between a unit's health and its ability to inflict damage. Once I figured that out, and gained a better understanding of when to attack armor rather than health, I really came to like the combat mechanics, especially the importance of positioning. At times, it almost feels like a game of Viking Battle Chess.

I had a similar experience. I didn't initially understand the relationship between a unit's health and its ability to inflict damage. Once I figured that out, and gained a better understanding of when to attack armor rather than health, I really came to like the combat mechanics, especially the importance of positioning. At times, it almost feels like a game of Viking Battle Chess.

Oh, you mean Hnefatafl?  :tup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tafl_games

I wanted to play it desperately, but never wanted to play online (people disgust me) if someone on here wants to play it some time i'd definitely join.

Edit: Also, Relevance!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/10/5295270/the-banner-saga-composer-austin-wintory-most-challenging-score-yet

(also includes link to underwhelming AMA)

The best part of this entire thing is their studio name. Honestly, if you have a good studio name I want you to succeed. 

I wanted to play it desperately, but never wanted to play online (people disgust me) if someone on here wants to play it some time i'd definitely join.

Edit: Also, Relevance!!!

http://www.polygon.com/2014/1/10/5295270/the-banner-saga-composer-austin-wintory-most-challenging-score-yet

(also includes link to underwhelming AMA)

The best part of this entire thing is their studio name. Honestly, if you have a good studio name I want you to succeed. 

I just started playing again today and I got matched with one of the developers' mom who was on the global chat answering questions. Of course she wiped me out. but then I got matches with someone else who didn't chat at all and we had a pretty good game. The first few games where you are trying to understand the health/attack/armor relationship can be really frustrating. You may think you are winning because you have a ton of dudes left, but then you find out that they have two archers at full strength and all of your armor is gone. 

Anyway, I'm horrible at scheduling, and I will probably only type-chat; but if you see me on I won't be mean and I will explain mechanics as much as you want me to (maybe a little more). I'm "clyde" on steam.

They've also sent out Steam keys to backers now, so I was just able to pre-load the game.

You got matched to the developer's mom sounds like the most hilarious backwards trash talk ever.

She's super friendly, skilled, and helpful.

Now that I'm playing it again, I don't know why I stopped. Moving my party forward and rotating their front (especially at the beginning of the game) is rewarding in itself; I suppose some might find it tedious though.

Yesterday (before a few matches with JMBossy), I made a mistake by letting my warrior take most of the beginning damage instead of throughing my shieldbearer in the way. I thought I was going to lose for sure. I managed to come back by luring their melee attackers with my archers, rushing their archers while mine used their area-of-effects to route their melee-units, and then surrounding them with both once their archers were dead. It was a thrilling victory.

Edit: This was not the battle with Stoicmom. She wiped me out even though I could tell he was being easy on me.

She's super friendly, skilled, and helpful.

Sounds like you got served, MOM STYLE.

A delicious plate of cookies.