pabosher

Resident Evil 6: President Evil

It really does look fantastic, and it has RE fans in a speculation tizzy. (A tizzy!)

Personal theory?

I think there's going to be a single-player campaign where you jump between Leon and Chris' perspective, and then a co-op campaign with the other two characters.

I do so hope you'll be alone again this time. It's a tricky situation because obviously Capcom will want to retain the wonderful coop mode, but it made the game so much less interesting on your own. No spooky atmosphere and an annoying partner always behind your back.

Apart from that, I look forward to going into the city!

After last night, I'm all about umbrella corporations, flowering zombie mouths, powerful shotguns, visible ladybras, barrels with small golds and motorcycle-based QTEs.

I haven't seen the trailer yet.

I'm pretty sure it's the same guy that does one of the voices for the player character in Saints Row. I've heard him in other games too. I quite like his voice, but no, it's not Nolan North. I think it's looking awesome. It seems that Leon's bits are a bit more classic RE, while Chris' are a bit more actiony.

I thought they were rebooting the series though?

Loving the thread title.

I'm pretty excited about this game I must say, although my experience was limited to a few hours of RE:5 and a declaration to an empty room that I wasn't having fun.

Zombie president! You can't handle the truth! Parcourt (that will probably suck)! Edgy mercenary character! And so on!!

Not sure how I feel about the gameplay at this point but we'll see what turns up.

President Evil is pretty sweet, but imagine how much Remo will freak out should there be a diplomatic pouch in the game somewhere.

I thought they were rebooting the series though?

That's what i had heard too, that the next game would be a continuity reboot.

Maybe the toxic reaction to the DMC reboot changed their minds?

New trailer!

iVzOQ1MVj-8

That looks awesome in that charming, cheesy Resident Evil way! I think I'll definitely be playing this.

How do you "reboot" Run-D.M.C.?

Also: "I need you to fake our deaths, can you do that?" made me smile.

So as of July 3rd, which is today, Dragon's Dogma owners are entitled to an RE6 demo.

The code is on the back of your Dragon's Dogma manual, and... I guess it downloads a key that lets you download the demo from inside of the game itself, or something?

Anyways, it seems like most people aren't even aware of that little promotional thing.

Yeah, so there you have it, go murder some zombies.

Interesting way of implementing a 'don't sell this game' feature.

You need the manual and the disc before you can download the demo as you cannot trigger the download from anywhere other than in the main menu.

Not much of a fan of Resident Evil games to be honest

Not much of a fan of Resident Evil games to be honest

I have a fairly ambivalent relationship with Resident Evil. I've come to respect what the earlier games in that series were trying to do, but i still don't think they're very good. (With the possible exception of the RE1 remake for GC.) RE4 though, i would argue that RE4 is one of the best action games ever made, and marked the beginning of earnest interest in that series for me. (I also believe that RE:Rev on the 3DS is an excellent game, and that RE5 was quite misguided.)

SO RE6. That's a very big demo, that's a lot of demo. Three levels from its three campaigns, playable both online and offline. (There's co-op again.)

Leon's demo had the least going on, but actually ended up being the most interesting to me, since it was the only part of the demo that seemed interested in trying to be a horror game.

Chris's demo was kind of the worst excesses of RE5 and then some. Barely even recognizable as Resident Evil, it was all cover shooting against dudes with rifles. (That sometimes explode into monsters.)

Then the other guy's demo, i forgot his name. His sequence was a boss encounter, so it doesn't really give any indication of what the tone will be. It was an ok boss fight. (Where you were surrounded by dudes with rifles.)

There doesn't appear to be an active inventory for the AI partner when you're playing solo, an inelegant solution for what was by far the biggest problem with RE5. (An AI partner that is bad at managing resources in a game where resources are scarce.) I would wonder then if you'll be able to even change what their equipped weapon is, or what other issues might arise from this.

The control is kind of swimmy and strange, but not in a way i find particularly awful, i guess? I could get used to it, and it feels right for a survival horror game. You kind of struggle with the aim just a bit, and it still has the things you'd want a close-quarters survival horror game to have, it still has a quick turn and everything. There's actually also some really crazy shoot-dodge maneuvers now, i don't really understand how they'd ever be practical, but i kind of love that they're there. The cover system, however, is kind of shitty and counter-intuitive.

Having so many enemies with rifles is dumb, it doesn't work in the context of an RE game.

The "be pinned down behind cover and trade fire" exchange is a weird contradiction to the part of the game where enemies are constantly spawning all around you to keep you from finding any safe spots. Nevermind that RE4 and RE5 already had a better form of ranged combat exchange, having you try to shoot thrown objects out of the air while on the run.

I mean, but maybe that contradiction could make for some interesting gameplay if you actually had to ever use the cover at all, but you kind of don't. The ranged enemies seem to miss most of their shots even when they're standing right next to you, and successfull hits still do almost no damage. (Though this seems like a case of the demo probably being locked to whatever the lowest level of difficulty will be.)

This game is really all over the fucking place, It feels like it's trying to be every RE game ever made all at once, and I feel like i know less about this game after playing this demo. It's such a weird thing, and i wish it showed more of Leon's campaign.

There's also some really crazy rumors going around that it's going to have some variety of competitive multiplayer modes. (Which wouldn't even surprise me, given that RE5 already had a really ill-advised deathmatch mode added in via DLC.)

Isn't the whole point that it's supposed to be every RE game ever made, by being three separate, tonally different games? There's the horror one, the action one, and the, uh, third one. What's that, comedy?

Seems about right.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised to hear this. I had expected Capcom to learn from RE5, but apparently NOPE, this is now what RE is and it's only going to get crazier from here on out. I still miss the merchant.

If you have to break it down, with the first two being horror and action, i think the third campaign might be summed up as "survival" since it seems like it will at least partially revolve around having you being chased by a larger beasty.

Anyways, i would say that the concern this demo has left me with is... In trying to hit every note the series is known for, i think they're trying to build on things that weren't necessarily the right direction for the series in the first place, and then potentially not even doing those things as capably as they would have to, if they are to make good on it.

I mean, but it's a demo, a small slice of work-in-progress gameplay. I don't mean to pass judgement on the game as a whole, i'm just sorting out the thoughts this sample left me with.

I really dug what it showed of Leon's campaign, and for that at least, i'm almost definitely on board.

So, anyone looking forward to this?

I finally played a bit of the demo a couple of days ago and didn't mind it. My only gripe was that the camera was i little frustrating, but its the type of thing you get used to after a couple of hours of play

I doubt i'll play through all of it, dare i say it, its seem like to much content for a silly action game. i think there is 4 x 8 hour campaigns or something

The multiplayer/horde modes could be fun

So, anyone looking forward to this?

I finally played a bit of the demo a couple of days ago and didn't mind it. My only gripe was that the camera was i little frustrating, but its the type of thing you get used to after a couple of hours of play

I doubt i'll play through all of it, dare i say it, its seem like to much content for a silly action game. i think there is 4 x 8 hour campaigns or something

The multiplayer/horde modes could be fun

I felt pretty ambivalent about the demo, my opinions are already posted on that. I've been going back and forth on whether or not i still want to play this game. I am very curious about it though, and probably will play it, but i have no plans to grab it at release.

I think Capcom is going in the wrong direction with this stuff. I don't think survival horror works in co-op, and I also really hate that the tone and action are kind of doubling down on the RE5 stuff.

REVIEWS ARE IN!

Is it weird that the totally toxic reception to RE6 has made me way more interested in playing the game?

People are making it sound like quite a catastrophe.

I echo that! If this had just been "RE5 reskinned" I wouldn't have really cared, but this roadside accident is something I'd like to play.

Apparently the third campaign even has a series of awful stealth levels.

Honestly though, in the back of my mind, i keep going that this game probably can't be as bad as people are saying.

So, everything i'm seeing about RE6 makes me feel like Capcom has just been repeating the same mistakes over and over with some of their games, and that this is just the biggest and most costly those failures have been.

I hold the maybe not so popular opinion that RE5 is a way, way worse game than it was received as, while Lost Planet 2 is a much better game than people gave it credit for, and that both are hitting about the same highs and lows over all. (I do actually like both of those games, and maybe Lost Planet 2 just a smidge more.)

Check it out though, games with poorly implemented co-op modes that are an active detriment to the solo experience, on top of convoluted, poorly explained controls and mechanics. (The difference between something like these and Dark Souls is a lot of freedom to experiment and about forty hours of play time, i don't think linear action games can afford to be obtuse. It just destroys momentum and pacing.)

So you have this experience playing those games where you're struggling against both the control and shoddy partner AI. (The control in RE6 is extremely complex and counter-intuitive, even i was struggling with it in the demo.)

All of that, at a glance and from my experience with the demo, seems to be what is going on with RE6's reception. Well, and the fact that me and a lot of other people just don't like that RE is becoming increasingly action centric. (Still, it looks like some people really like it. Granted, there's always going to be somebody that really likes something, but it's still probably important to see that there hasn't been a completely universal condemnation of the game.

You know, or throw all that out the window, maybe it's just a shit game.

I kind of want to know now. I was probably going to eventually play it anyways, but only out of a sense of obligation after being let down by the demo, now i'm actually curious about this monstrosity Capcom has wrought. Not sure when i might play it though, definitely not a priority right now.

RE5 was rubbish, although likely fun if you like mowing down black Africans with gunfire.