Scrobbs

PS Vita

Stuff like this is why the Vita is the greatest.

Greatest would have been having that burner on high at the end.

Vita XL on the way...

RUMOR: Japanese newspaper Tokyo Keizai reported a rumor that Sony is set to reveal a new PS Vita model in September before the Tokyo Game Show. The new model PCH-2000 will have a 6.3" display manufactured by Samsung (screen size of the current model is 5"), and the resolution will remain at 960 x 554 pixels. The amount of RAM will increase from 512MB to 1GB, to allow more programs to run in the background, the amount of RAM used by games will be unchanged (meaning games are still compatible between old and new models). In addition, the design of the new model will be more in-line with the PS4 design; and the system will launch with new game titles.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=654687

This may also be for the rumoured Vita and PS4 bundle, especially considering its redesign to look like the PS4. Next next gen WiiU innit!

Or it may give some bundling potential with the old Vita to clear stock and refill with this new model. Either way, very cool. I'll probably just wait for the PSV-3000 Slim White version to upgrade.

Thread Phoenix Down!

It appears that any or all talk about the new model of Vita was in the PS4 thread but I want to talk about it slightly more, so I decided to thread revive rather than take that topic back off the rails. I was catching up on my Feedly backlog and it seems that the new model of Vita can be charged via microUSB.

Is it just me or does this seem like a secret killer feature? I mean, I'm not going to rush the doors of my local electronics store to upgrade when it comes to the US, but the official charger for the Vita is pretty unwieldy and I really dislike proprietary standards. Convenience factor is pretty big for a portable device, so being able to charge a Vita practically anywhere, anytime thanks to the ubiquity of microUSB seems pretty damn convenient.

Not to mention I'm a sucker for a choice of color schemes and LCD displays.

I didn't even know there was a new model of Vita. Anything else different about it besides the charger and colors?

The screen is changed from an OLED to a LCD display, which some people don't seem to like. In my experience, LCD generally has better color representation but some people with hands-on say it's slightly more washed out than the OLED version. As a result, however, Sony is quoting slightly more battery life for the device, about one hour was added to the quoted lifespan.

The device is also slightly thinner and some of the buttons have been modified from their ovular shape on the 1000 to a circular shape on the 2000 (a positive change, I think). Sony also said something about the device being more rounded, but I don't get that feeling just looking at the press shots. Maybe it'll feel differently in-hand, I dunno.

Only other change is 1GB of internal memory, which won't do a whole lot for you but at least lets you play out of the box before ponying up for a memory card.

Have they confirmed whether or not this new model will be getting a release outside Japan? How about the Vita TV?

I'm more tempted by a Vita than I'd ever expected to be, especially having just signed up for PS+ and therefore slowly accruing a library of games, but I don't think I can justify it right now. I have two models of PSP, neither of which I've used for more than a handful of hours. The vast majority of the games just seemed to be badly suited to the device, trying to repeat the success of all the 3D action games on the PS2 but without the power to actually achieve what they were aiming for.

And god, the whole custom memory card thing. Remind me why can't I just buy a massive SD card for next to nothing, like with my 3DS? It's not like Sony doesn't already manufacture a wide range of SD cards.

Still, if I ever get a PS4, all the free stuff via PS+ and Cross-buy will make a Vita pretty much mandatory.

Vita TV was something like "We didn't expect this kind of reaction from the West, so we're now evaluating options for bringing it over" meaning no plans for it, but if it's big enough in Japan they might scale up for the west. Of course, they need media partnerships to make that system more competitive with ATV/Roku here.

Vita-2000 is all but announced for the West, it's more or less a matter of time.

I love Earth Defense Force on the Vita, although it kinda suck that you have to beat the game to play as a new character. Alien Breed is also fun and better than that trilogy Team 17 released recently.

I do not own a Vita, but i am jealous of the Vita-exclusive Ys game that just came out. (Which is apparently very good.)

I know I'm probably the only one who cares about this game, but Danganronpa looks a fucking bonkers interpretation of Phoenix Wright by way of Persona 4 and I'm really excited. It comes out next month; hopefully I'll be able to afford it.

I don't know how I feel about Danganronpa. I get bored of Phoenix Wright games really fast and find the goofiness of the characters incredibly off-putting. 

It's not even like I can watch a couple of "let's play" videos about a game completely driven by narrative to help me decide. Everyone who like the games/anime/whatever seem to be pretty die hard fans which makes me want to give it a shot.

ebay or cheap imports are always a possibility.

So has anyone tried OlliOlli? I thought I'd pick it up and play a few minutes before I went to sleep. A couple of hours later I was still playing. Thoroughly recommend that game.

So has anyone tried OlliOlli? I thought I'd pick it up and play a few minutes before I went to sleep. A couple of hours later I was still playing. Thoroughly recommend that game.

OlliOlli looks great. It's pretty silly, but I'm tempted to buy a Vita mostly to play that (and the PS+ collection I'm gradually amassing). Apparently it was originally going to be an iOS game, so I'm glad they decided to go with a device with physical controls.

I would not enjoy it as an iOS game. The controls are actually quite intricate with half and quarter turns. Not to mention if I had my fat fingers in front of the screen, getting perfect landings would be impossible.

The description I saw on gaf of "Tony Hawk's meets Hotline Miami" is actually pretty accurate. I find myself restarting exactly like in HM constantly, and when you pull off a good combo, you feel like a god. It's a similar feeling to killing 6 guys in HM in quick succession. 

I did the same: I got a vita because I saw there were tons of PS+ games I could have for free (plus I REALLY wanted Tearaway). 

OlliOlli seems like a game I'll be obsessed with for a month then put down for a long time. If they had leader boards or a daily challenge I think I'd last a lot longer. 

OlliOlli seems like a game I'll be obsessed with for a month then put down for a long time. If they had leader boards or a daily challenge I think I'd last a lot longer.

They do! "Daily Grind" is a one-shot high score attempt on a date-seeded level. (Though according to the brief video I saw you're allowed to practice the level before your scoring run, which seems to defeat the purpose a little.)

Enjoying my Vita. FF4 Complete for PSP is on sale and it's quite a trip playing this game again. They lovingly updated the game's assets to higher quality pixel art and it's the sort of treatment I wish was done to FF6:

20100101_024349_thumb.png

I'm also over the moon on the freeze-state feature of the system. Is this customary on handhelds these days, or does the Vita just do it really well?