Snooglebum

Japan

There is something surreal about that last Portuguese vid, listing affected principalities and stuff. It is like a local-interest news story, as if they're listing school districts closed today due to snow. It makes me feel the same kind of awe in the face of globalization that the existence of Al Jazeera in English makes me feel...

I listened to BBC World News on the radio yesterday and there was a clip of a press conference in Wellington where they announced that New Zealand has sent earthquake rescue personnel to Japan, presumably together with the Japanese search and rescue teams which were still hanging around Christchurch. It was a clip presented without that particular comment, or any comment from the journalist, in a collection of relatively disconnected stories about earthquake that blended with stories about Gaddaffi and the Wisconsin protests.

I am impressed that the number of dead is not higher in Japan. It is a bittersweet triumph of modern engineering. Ditto that the whole world can at a drop of a hat send aid in whatever form. We live in a weird time. So strange that we cannot live more harmoniously considering how much we rely on one another.

Someone in Japan is translating the latest news from Japan live on Ustream. I don't think he's slept since it's started.

I find the nuclear plant the most distressing part, you can always rebuild a city, but for how long will the radiation make that area a wasteland?

I heard it's already leaking like crazy...

Another thing that bothers me is well... the internet in general, not only the tasteless Godzilla jokes, the idiots who say they deserve it because of what the did in WW II, but also there are people yelling at those mention prayers.

These people assume that those who pray don't help... They aren't exclusive! "Prayer" is this occasion is a sign of goodwill, it's a "Be safe!", a "Take care!", it's an EXPRESSION, simple as that! It's also not the time to for silly quarells of semantics and beliefs!

Another thing that bothers me is well... the internet in general, not only the tasteless Godzilla jokes, the idiots who say they deserve it because of what the did in WW II, but also there are people yelling at those mention prayers.

These people assume that those who pray don't help... They aren't exclusive! "Prayer" is this occasion is a sign of goodwill, it's a "Be safe!", a "Take care!", it's an EXPRESSION, simple as that! It's also not the time to for silly quarells of semantics and beliefs!

I think what's killing me is the crap you're seeing about it being karma for Pearl Harbor. Search for it on Facebook. Most depressing thing ever. The number of...anyways, don't want to get worked up.

There's also this:

i'm scaredd. japan disaster=3-10-11 usa disaster= 9-11-01. add theem and we get the day we are "supposed to die" 12-21-12

Jim Carrey movie?

There's a pretty common joke among the Heroes of Newerth community right now that turns my stomach:

"The enemy team surrendered at 8.9!"

Of course, it's in broken English usually, but it still is enough to make me simply not play the game for a few days.

That said, what money and soul I have left, Japan now gets. So basically, just money.

Oh dear God... that's just horrible!

I hope everybody got "defriended" for saying such utter nonsense!

As I said to Snooglebum, people do seem to forget the "payback" America unleashed on Japan with those two little nuclear weapon thingys, but let's just forget about that because REVENGE MOTHERFUCKERS.

Number of people killed at Pearl Harbor: 2,402.

Number of people killed at Hiroshima and Nagasaki: 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki, not to mention the psychological and economic devastation.

Fuck you internet, fuck you.

Also:

Yeah i hate it for japan but remember those idiots started world war 2. They bombed pearl harbor. Wonder how much money we will send to them

I think you'll find that Germany started World War 2 when it invaded Poland, dipshit.

What a bunch of ignorant assholes. Enough about them.

I'm curious how events will continue to unfold in Japan. The second nuclear power plant was going postal this morning, but I'm not sure if anything happened to it in the meantime. This is a true test of all the preparation that a natural disaster-prone country like Japan has taken over the decades. Let's hope it pays off.

Given the enormous stress the power plant has undergone and yet still manages to stay within it's safety measures speaks books about the safety of these plants.

fyi, and interesting read on this nuclear power plant thingy: https://morgsatlarge.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors/

Wow, I loved that piece on the nuclear reactor. Highly informative, and it clearly illustrates how much BS there's going around about nuclear energy and its dangers.

Number of people killed at Pearl Harbor: 2,402.

Of which, 68 civilians

Number of people killed at Hiroshima and Nagasaki: 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki, not to mention the psychological and economic devastation.

Of which, approximately 200,000 civilians

Not included : thousands of people getting all sorts of cancers.

There's a pretty common joke among the Heroes of Newerth community right now that turns my stomach:

"The enemy team surrendered at 8.9!"

What's that you say? The Heroes of Newerth communtiy being ABSOLUTELY A BUNCH OF COMPLETE DICKS?

Never thought I'd see the day...

Edited by Scrobbs

Of which, 68 civilians

Of which, approximately 200,000 civilians

Not included : thousands of people getting all sorts of cancers.

Also not included: Conventional and fire bombings of Tokyo and other cities.

All human beings should visit the museum in Hiroshima that tells about the atom bombing.

The museum is something so heavy that it will be hard both physically and mentally, but everyone should be there to see what humans can do to other humans. Even the internet idiots would learn.

I was there last year and I will never forget.

I was there last year and I will never forget.

Ditto, it was one of the most sobering experiences i've had.

What's that you say? The Heroes of Newerth communtiy being ABSOLUTELY A BUNCH OF COMPLETE DICKS?

Never thought I'd see the day...

Well, the higher level players (MSI, EG, DM, etc) are generally somewhat well-adjusted human beings, but. . .yeah. The average game. . . :violin:

Well, the higher level players (MSI, EG, DM, etc) are generally somewhat well-adjusted human beings, but. . .yeah. The average game. . . :violin:

you mean fnatic msi are their main sponsor. [/Esports nerd]