toblix

GTA V

For the longest while I didn't know if the events you transcribed were real or took place within GTA5. Beyond that, the formatting of the post made me expectant of a spam link at the end leading to, perhaps, a dietary supplement.

Point taken. I just read this guide to hyphens. Maybe some of it will stick. 

It's been on my mind for a while. I have started to feel that my use of hyphens unsatisfactory for what I want to accomplish. 

By wotan's beard, only now do I see the hyphen-pocalypse in your original post. Is that a thing in your life? Are you struggling with hyphens? Do you seek professional hyphen-aid?

How Clyde sees your post:

By the wotan-beard, only now do I see the hyphen-pocalypse in your original-post. Is that a thing in-your-life? Are you struggling-with-hyphens? Do you seek professional-hyphen-aid?

It's been on my mind for a while. I have started to feel that my use of hyphens unsatisfactory for what I want to accomplish. 

I really enjoy the idea of the hyphen as a replacement for a space when the semantic connection between two words is stronger than usual, kind of like a semicolon instead of a period for sentences, but no one I know would be on board with that.

I really enjoy the idea of the hyphen as a replacement for a space when the semantic connection between two words is stronger than usual, kind of like a semicolon instead of a period for sentences, but no one I know would be on board with that.

Yeah, I'm not afraid of mauling syntax for my own nefarious purposes; but my use of hyphens has mutated into a personal default that has "consistency" rather than "communication" in mind. 

Now that writing scripts in C# is an essential part of one of my hobbies, I'm thinking of doing the hipster move that no one else dares do. But then I remember that few people will know what is going on when if I use periods to drill down from generalities to specifics or semicolons to end a statement. The idea of putting parentheses around my booleans every time I write "If" or "While" is incredibly seductive to me. 

Yeah, I'm not afraid of mauling syntax for my own nefarious purposes; but my use of hyphens has mutated into a personal default that has "consistency" rather than "communication" in mind. 

Now that writing scripts in C# is an essential part of one of my hobbies, I'm thinking of doing the hipster move that no one else dares do. But then I remember that few people will know what is going on when if I use periods to drill down from generalities to specifics or semicolons to end a statement. The idea of putting parentheses around my booleans every time I write "If" or "While" is incredibly seductive to me. 

I.think() that would make your.posts hard to read();

I.think() that would make your.posts hard to read();

He (cylde) | could diagram | sentences

|          \ just          \ all   \ his

I loved diagramming sentences in school. I was the best at it. Sometimes our teacher would ask us to come up with our own sentences to diagram and I would intentionally make them as convoluted as possible so I could diagram them.

...and now i'm a programmer so that probably makes some sort of sense

Oh yeah, I did get this in the end. It's amazing. I've put tens of hours into it and I have far more to do (my percentage is about 46%), as in traditional fashion I'm indulging in side-shit throughout the experience rather than burning through the story. I'd forgotten how much this series can immerse you — I almost get nostalgic when I remember my earlier days in the game, and that was only a few months ago! The addition of an actual soundtrack is really great. As I continue to play, I continue to appreciate how much this series missed some quality non-radio music before. Not that the radio music is any less awesome than ever, and the ability to 'Shazam' tag your stuff for later enjoyment is appreciated.

Also, the in-game camera is fun. Even better is that it stores the locations of the photos on your GPS, making them a very visual way of waypointing cool places.

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

0_0.jpg

He (cylde) | could diagram | sentences

| \ just \ all \ his

What is this? I don't know what this is.

Oh yeah, I did get this in the end. It's amazing. I've put tens of hours into it and I have far more to do (my percentage is about 46%), as in traditional fashion I'm indulging in side-shit throughout the experience rather than burning through the story. I'd forgotten how much this series can immerse you — I almost get nostalgic when I remember my earlier days in the game, and that was only a few months ago! The addition of an actual soundtrack is really great. As I continue to play, I continue to appreciate how much this series missed some quality non-radio music before. Not that the radio music is any less awesome than ever, and the ability to 'Shazam' tag your stuff for later enjoyment is appreciated.

Awesome! Glad to hear someone else around these parts seems to be enjoying this game as much as I have. I've got 85 hours and 100% completion on single player and 65 hours and counting on multiplayer and I see no end in sight. There is just so much to do and the world is so big and detailed that everything continues to be fun even after 150 hours of play.

A few of us have been playing online (PS3 version) pretty much every evening and sometimes during the day on weekends so hit us up if schedules align and you want to have some fun in multiplayer.

Awesome! Glad to hear someone else around these parts seems to be enjoying this game as much as I have. I've got 85 hours and 100% completion on single player and 65 hours and counting on multiplayer and I see no end in sight. There is just so much to do and the world is so big and detailed that everything continues to be fun even after 150 hours of play.

A few of us have been playing online (PS3 version) pretty much every evening and sometimes during the day on weekends so hit us up if schedules align and you want to have some fun in multiplayer.

I need to try the online component. Then again I also need to replay Bioshock Infinite and actually play the DLC, play Southpark, and Titanfall comes out soon. But right now I'm in the midst of Dragonfall. So with that all said how is the mutiplayer? All the reviews had it as a disappointment when the game first came out, but I know there's been a dozen updates since then.

Also damn does this game still look good! I don't tool around as much as older GTA's, between the robotic like accuracy of police snipers from helicopters while I'm driving a hundred miles an hour in a car to the constant reporting of all crimes thanks to cellphones going on a rampage just doesn't last long enough for me. Maybe the next gen version will fix that, at the very least it will look even better an maybe a mod can fix the accuracy thing.

I need to try the online component. Then again I also need to replay Bioshock Infinite and actually play the DLC, play Southpark, and Titanfall comes out soon. But right now I'm in the midst of Dragonfall. So with that all said how is the mutiplayer? All the reviews had it as a disappointment when the game first came out, but I know there's been a dozen updates since then.

Also damn does this game still look good! I don't tool around as much as older GTA's, between the robotic like accuracy of police snipers from helicopters while I'm driving a hundred miles an hour in a car to the constant reporting of all crimes thanks to cellphones going on a rampage just doesn't last long enough for me. Maybe the next gen version will fix that, at the very least it will look even better an maybe a mod can fix the accuracy thing.

For me, this game has provided one of the better multiplayer experiences I've had. Instability issues are long gone at this point and there is an insane amount of stuff to do that is slowly revealed to you as you progress through the ranks (which could be perceived as a negative depending on what type of multiplayer experience you prefer). At the outset, you only have a pistol and a few introductory missions available but it doesn't take long for some better weapons and mission types to open up, at which point you can pretty much jump into any race, deathmatch, parachute jump, or story mission as you see fit.

The thing I find really awesome is how free roam works as a giant hub for all of the instanced mission stuff. Free roam has a bunch of interesting mechanics by itself (which, unfortunately only become available after you reach certain ranks) such as the bounty system, random crate drops, armored trucks that can be robbed, stores that can be robbed, random vehicles that spawn on the map and can be delivered for cash, and a bunch of other stuff. With a bunch of other people in free roam it is a blast to go around the map trying to take advantage of these mechanics for cash and experience while also fending off other players and avoiding all the shit they throw at you while they are going for the same thing. We usually spend a chunk of time doing some of this stuff and then jumping in a mission lobby to hop between various races, deathmatches, survival rounds, parachute jumps, etc.

TL;DR: It's really fucking fun.

Also, as you get more adept with the game, you learn to appreciate the way the police work and the challenge they provide (which wasn't really there in the older games imo). Just a quick tip, if you jack a car, take off immediately and people usually won't get a chance to report you since you'll be long gone. I almost never get a wanted level from jacking a car unless I do it in front of an officer. And with the police you just have to keep moving, take crazy turns, and drive into oncoming traffic to shake them. Once you've broke line of site it's just a game of Pac Man.

Thanks! I think the problem with the police chases is less that getting away at two or even three stars in the right circumstances isn't doable, it's that I want to Just Cause the shit out the place, blowing up everything on an insane rampage, but that gets me too many stars too survive for more than a minute. Maybe I'm just spoiled by Just Cause and shouldn't play it that way.

I'll go and give it a try tonight. Just moved my router so my PS3 should have better connectivity anyway.

I'm with Clyde: what the hell is a sentence diagram and how can I make one?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_diagram

In short, it's a really terrible pedagogical device from the early days of "visual learning" that was supposed to help children see how the different parts of speech/language relate and interact independent from English's often fickle word order. Of course, they went about it by creating a fairly arcane set of symbols and syntaxes that has no other possible function than to be used to diagram sentences, which puts it even beyond calculus in terms of "when will I ever use this" complaints. My teachers used it once, to teach the difference between independent and subordinate clauses, and never again. I associate it so closely with mid-century American elementary education, probably because that's the only context in which it makes sense, so I don't know if there was ever the same in, say, Nedderplattdeutschsprache.

I'll go and give it a try tonight. Just moved my router so my PS3 should have better connectivity anyway.

Feel free to add me if you want to join us for some good times: xXZeusthecatXx

And make sure to join the Idle Thumbs crew if you haven't already; you'll get a little extra experience if you do missions and stuff with other crew members and friends. I probably won't be on tonight but most other evenings I'm on for a couple hours.

I just tried the multiplayer on the xbox and everytime I tried to do a mission I ended up being the involuntary host of a one-on-one deathmatch.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I hated this game. Its content is so repulsive to me that no amount of technological wizardry can atone for how disgusting it makes me feel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_diagram

In short, it's a really terrible pedagogical device from the early days of "visual learning" that was supposed to help children see how the different parts of speech/language relate and interact independent from English's often fickle word order. Of course, they went about it by creating a fairly arcane set of symbols and syntaxes that has no other possible function than to be used to diagram sentences, which puts it even beyond calculus in terms of "when will I ever use this" complaints. My teachers used it once, to teach the difference between independent and subordinate clauses, and never again. I associate it so closely with mid-century American elementary education, probably because that's the only context in which it makes sense, so I don't know if there was ever the same in, say, Nedderplattdeutschsprache.

Thanks, I had no idea what this was. We have nothing similar in Nedderplattdeutschsprache.

Well to be fair, later on in life I felt like diagramming sentences in English led me to understand our grammar in a way that made learning other languages much easier. But that is probably an edge case scenario.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I hated this game. Its content is so repulsive to me that no amount of technological wizardry can atone for how disgusting it makes me feel.

Maybe it's because I'm only partway through (just did a mission where you have the military attacking you after raiding a bank) but it doesn't seem that bad to me. Certainly nothing worse than I've seen in countless mob/gangster movies. Trevor is just like a dirtier Joe Pesci. :tup: