toblix

GTA V

Preferring GTA IV's driving model, however, leads me to question your sanity.

I loved the exaggerated suspension and how weighty every car felt, it had the feel of an old-school car chase movie, it was great.

The cars in GTAV feel like they're gliding around, by comparison.

Yep. The GTAV cars feel like toys. Possibly the biggest of that game's many disappointments for me.

I thought that the GTA4 driving was atrocious. Everything felt like a tank, and it was just impossible to really get good at whizzing around the streets (unless you put considerably more time into it than me I guess).

I think that GTA5 strikes a perfect balance, as the vast majority of cars handle either very sharply but are easy to oversteer, or very loosely but are easier to control if you effectively use the (hand)brake. Once you learn the cars, you can quite easily select ones that appeal to your taste most, and that's not even mentioning the various mods you can make to the handling, etc. Added to GTA5's better systems for storing vehicles, I find my driving experiences much better this time around.

I spent a lot of time with GTA4 and praise a lot of things about it, but its handling certainly isn't one of them. I feel that the overall way that the cars move in GTA5 is splendid. When you get involved with collisions it looks and feels excellent, and the damage mechanics are more realistic than in GTA4 too. Everything about the physics in this game I love.

I loved the exaggerated suspension and how weighty every car felt, it had the feel of an old-school car chase movie, it was great.

The cars in GTAV feel like they're gliding around, by comparison.

I agree, it was harder and more fiddly; but that meant the payoff of great driving/stunts and escaping was far more rewarding for me than the arcade-style effortless shenanigans of GTAV.

My fondest memories of GTAIV were pulling off jumps with a crew in my car shooting out the windows at another crew behind launching over that partially built bridge's ramps, and the other crew falling in the drink.

In GTAV those stories seem a dime-a-dozen.

When you get involved with collisions it looks and feels excellent, and the damage mechanics are more realistic than in GTA4 too. Everything about the physics in this game I love.

Like the way you can flip your car completely upside-down and then just rock it back and forth a couple of times to turn it back over?

I think the crashes feel really weak, relative to GTAIV.

Also, after spending more time with it, i think i've decided that the radio stations in GTAV are kind of terrible.

Driving in GTA IV was like trying to push a shopping cart around an ice rink. There was just zero traction; every car handled like it had bald tires and the road had been sealed with urethane. It was not realistic, it was simply imprecise.

GTA V made driving fun. Sports cars could zip through traffic and felt tighter, as if Rockstar North had just played Burnout 3 for the first time. It's really masochistic to say that you dislike the game because it gives you the awesome part too frequently.

Like the way you can flip your car completely upside-down and then just rock it back and forth a couple of times to turn it back over?

Actually, yes. My upside-down cars bursting into flames was a common annoyance I don't miss in the slightest.

Also, after spending more time with it, i think i've decided that the radio stations in GTAV are kind of terrible.

The incidental music is phenomenal, however.

I think the mechanics of police chases are much better in GTAV, relative to IV, to say something positive about the game.

I like that the cops more rigorously obey line of sight, and how the game's new on-foot stealth system can play into that.

Yep. The GTAV cars feel like toys. Possibly the biggest of that game's many disappointments for me.

On the other hand, I fucking HAAAATED driving in GTA4. At least 5 is kinda meh, and so far as I know this is the general median of opinion concerning the two games.

Regardlesss this:

Has really made me want Next Gen and/or Expansion for V. I enjoyed the single player campaign a surprising amount, but trying the Multiplayer just felt like it was only the side activities I wasn't terribly interested in (street races and etc.) coupled with a world that felt depopulated. Since Pc/Next gen could hadle full on GTAV population (and quite a bit more) with multiplayer at the same time, then at the very least wandering around shooting each other would be more fun. And if there were major and difficult bank heists to pull off, like they make pretend in the above, that would actually be an interesting thing to do.

P.S. The radio stations are most definitely terrible. The music director found mostly obscure bands, and then put their bad songs in instead of their good ones. EG if you're going to put in Black Flag, then you use Rise Above, not crap they put in.

P.S. The radio stations are most definitely terrible. The music director found mostly obscure bands, and then put their bad songs in instead of their good ones. EG if you're going to put in Black Flag, then you use Rise Above, not crap they put in.

I concur.

I've been really enjoying the radio stations in GTA5, but I listen almost exclusively to the electronica, reggae, and pop-orientated ones. I enjoy rock too, but have noticed that there's little that catches my ear on those stations.

Maybe its nostalgia but all the radio adverts in Vice City still make me laugh:

All I know about GTAV's soundtrack is that my girlfriend told me that it included Wavves. This obviously makes it good. She has a habit of identifying games by their soundtrack though, so that should not surprise me. She asked me if I'd beaten "That game with the Mudhoney ad" (Infamous: Second Son) earlier this week as well.

I found myself sticking to the hip-hop stations and sometimes peeping into the other ones. 'Ooh Child' in particular was one I always looked forward to listening.

I think the best thing about the soundtrack was that they commissioned artists to make exclusive tracks. Off the top of my head I know the Wavves, Neon Indian, and Marion Band$ songs were made for the game and they're all really good. Loved how they used the pitched snare in 'Hold Up.'

Man, Wavves is one of those bands I just never could find myself enjoying. It's doubly weird because I was friends with the drummer's older brothers in college.

Wavves and Best Coast are two of my partner's favourite bands, so when either one is featured in a game, she takes notice.

Jacob, the drummer in Wavves, used to be in a band called Bark Bark Bark. I believe I once led with the headline "Bark Bark Bark Suck Suck Sucks" in my college paper. (If I didn't go through with it, I at least envisioned it.) He was in the Mae Shii briefly, and according to Wikipedia, he's still with Wavves.

I did see Wavves during its first incarnation at SXSW one year, that was pretty fun. A homeless man got on stage and proclaimed himself Sho-Nuff, the Shogun of Harlem (who doesn't love a good Last Dragon reference?) and danced around for a while. Very bizarre night, actually.

So I'm still playing this game almost every day. I've got 130 hours logged in GTA Online and 85 hours logged in single player and I've decided that I'm going for the platinum trophy on this one. This game is just too damn fun (granted, almost all of my online play has been with friends). The only trophies I have left are getting gold medals in 70 missions (single player), reaching level 100 (multiplayer, currently at level 77), and getting 30 platinum awards (multiplayer, currently at 14 or 15 platinum awards). I'm increasingly tempted to resurrect the F-GOAT thread to add this to my list. Aside from Minecraft, I can't think of a multiplayer experience I've enjoyed more than this one.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-gta-5-for-xbox-ps4-pc-has-increased-draw-distances-better-resolution-new-wildlife/1100-6420302/

Even though I already have over 250 hours logged in this game and am at level 96 in GTA Online, I think I'll be picking this up for PS4 when it comes out. I've just had so much damn fun playing this game and I think the fresh coat of paint, new wildlife, denser traffic, etc. will motivate me to run through the campaign again and continue on with GTA Online. 

I was hoping against hope I would be able to transfer my saves from PS3 to PC when it came out, but I guess I won't be finishing all the single-player side-stuff. Probably just as well.

So just to be clear is the save transfer GTA Online only? Because what would be really good is if I can transfer my single player progress as I'm still half way through the story