Tanukitsune

(Unconfirmed)Telltale tackles.. KING'S QUEST?

According to Destructuiod(who didn't provide any links or proof) TT is going to make King's Quest games....:eek:

What the... Am I the only one thinking it's going to be weird to play a King's Quest game that doesn't have moon logic and won't kill you every five seconds?

I doubt TT would give it moon logic just to please the fans, but I guess they'll be a bit harder than the average TT game?

And how does this affect the Silver Lining fan games?:erm:

Oh, they are also making Puzzle Agent 2!

I'm seriously surprised to hear this... Imagine the same company that make the latest Monkey Island games is going to make King's Quest... So bizarre! :blink:

Oddly enough I was watching this video when I heard the news! XD

I wonder if Telltale making a King's Quest game is like Bethesda making Fallout. Will they make a game that falls in their wheelhouse, with the same tone, but different mechanics? Basically, will there be deaths and hard fails in Telltale's King's Quest?

I'm not a huge fan of those Sierra games, so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

It's starting to seem like Telltale's new strategy is having each employee making his or her own game. Either that, or they're outsourcing a lot of work. Or they've hired a bunch of people. Or maybe they're just working smarter instead of harder. Anyway, I hope they find the time to fix all the annoying stuff that's been plaguing their engine since Bone.

Oh, and if this piece of news turns out to be true, that could be cool.

:-/ Would much rather they did Space Quest.

Who owns the rights? The Two Guys From Andromeda?

I wonder if Telltale making a King's Quest game is like Bethesda making Fallout. Will they make a game that falls in their wheelhouse, with the same tone, but different mechanics? Basically, will there be deaths and hard fails in Telltale's King's Quest?

I'm not a huge fan of those Sierra games, so I don't really have an opinion one way or the other.

I can imagine death in a TellTale games, but hardfails? No modern gamer would, or should, have to accept the fact that he has to restart the game from scratch for making a mistake.

Aren't hard fails a thing of the past anyway? I don't think anybody would do that now, except an hardcore indie game?

It's starting to seem like Telltale's new strategy is having each employee making his or her own game. Either that, or they're outsourcing a lot of work. Or they've hired a bunch of people. Or maybe they're just working smarter instead of harder. Anyway, I hope they find the time to fix all the annoying stuff that's been plaguing their engine since Bone.

Oh, and if this piece of news turns out to be true, that could be cool.

Do we have any dates on any of these games?

I can imagine Telltale managing two "seasons" a year with relative ease, maybe they could even do a third if they've grown enough?

What is this Hector game? Google says it's an existing iPhone game that's not from TellTale...

Are they going to simply take this game and make it 3D? Or do they just own the rights to the sequels?:erm:

after Mask of Eternity... how can there be another Kings Quest game... that's just unplausible

It's still unconfirmed, but I think they mention a reboot? I never beat the Mask of Eternity, now that I think of it...

This is ... my mind is blown, I can't really imagine how seeing all those deals getting done must have felt.

What is this Hector game? Google says it's an existing iPhone game that's not from TellTale...

Are they going to simply take this game and make it 3D? Or do they just own the rights to the sequels?:erm:

Looks like the developers partnered with Telltale to re-release the first on a bunch of platforms besides iPhone and then make two more. Looks good. I don't have an iPhone, so yay for this.

Also, fun with URLs:

http://www.telltalegames.com/hector

http://www.telltalegames.com/walkingdead

http://www.telltalegames.com/fables

http://www.telltalegames.com/puzzleagent2

Can't find King's Quest, though. Probably not even a splash page built for that yet.

I doubt with extreme seriousness that a new King's Quest game will revert back to old gameplay mechanics. i.e., Yes, it will be specifically a 'Telltale' game.

I was never a King's Quest player, but I enjoyed casually strolling through 7.

Yeah, I was almost going to post something like that in the other thread about Walking Dead and whatever. I don't know any of these new properties they're tackling (well I've played King's Quest VI [might be wrong about the numeral]) and am not that interested at first, but I do fear this is going to bring quality down in all of their games, and single handedly kill the adventure genre, of course.

For whatever it's worth, our core teams are usually about 20 people, with high and low tides greatly inflating and deflating that number over season production. Thats been the case on most all titles for the last few years and continues to be the case on the new ones. (Bone, sam and max season one, and most of season two probably all had smaller core teams. Puzzle agent and Poker Night were also smaller.) We probably bite off more than we can chew on occasion but the number of people on a project has been and will remain pretty consistent with what it's been since Sam and max season two. We're at over 80 employees now (expanded the office down to a lower floor, which is weird) and I think the plan is to grow to more than that (100+? I don't really know). We make games with smaller teams than the rest of the industry obviously, but we don't stretch as thin as you think. QA weeps a bit though.

Jake Rodkin: future thousandaire

I wouldn't complain.

I don't think we're quite at 100 unless you count out of office contractors I don't know about or something. But yeah its close.

I doubt with extreme seriousness that a new King's Quest game will revert back to old gameplay mechanics. i.e., Yes, it will be specifically a 'Telltale' game.

I was never a King's Quest player, but I enjoyed casually strolling through 7.

I, for one, don't think it's really King's Quest unless you can get stuck on the final room because you forgot to pluck the bird's egg from the riverbed three screens south from the starting point of the beginning of the game.

And also Josh Mandel must voice King Graham.

Will they bring back Cedric? "Look out, Graham! A POOOOISONOOOUS SNAKE!"

Is that a new dance? THE BUGABOO?!

That's the last of those from me for a couple years, I guess.

Who owns the rights? The Two Guys From Andromeda?

It would be Vivendi, but if I recall anytime the name Space Quest is used, permission must be granted to a museum who trademarked/copyrighted the name first.

On topic, I would love for King's Quest to stay buried. I really don't want this series to come back. Once I started to gain the ability to more objectively compare and contrast game design as I moved out of my preteens, I just shake my head in shame of hours spent wasted on these idiotic games. Besides King's Quest 6, which is most obviously redeeming because of the Jane Jensen factor, I can't think of any King's Quest that did much right in terms of story, design, art, animation, character development, humor, puzzles, draw of exploration, originality, or just about any factor that one could think of that they like in adventure games. If any single game in the series (gain outside of King's Quest 6) did excel in one of those categories, the excelling element was still mediocre at best.

I would guess Telltale would do a fine job and all, but I can't imagine why in the first place. Because it was one the most popular adventure series in the 80s and 90s? If anything, it seems to me that King's Quest has almost completely disappeared from most gaming rhetoric even if someone were bringing up classic adventures, and justly so. Now multiple LucasArts adventures nearly always get the token mention for missed DOS adventures.

I suppose there are still small circles of the most hardcore adventure players clamoring for it, but really...

Now I've probably offended a few Sierra nuts out there, but there are a few series I do enjoy immensely outside of their bread and butter.

Even though this is just asking for more licensed games, I suppose my hopes are completely dashed of a Loom continuation from Telltale. I remember a Grossman interview where he expressed interest a year or two ago as well as on the forums he answered my question on whether or not he would contact Brian Moriarty about it as well. He said yes and I've been pathetically clinging on to overblown expectations.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Poor, poor

Cedric.

My favourite King's Quest was definitely 6 - the least moon-logic-y, I found. Some of the puzzles were a bit abstract of course, but they made sense in their own kind of way. Except of course the unfair puzzle where you had to remember what the genie's bottle looked like - shown once, way at the start of the game, in a cutscene - so you could replace it.

I also liked that there were two possible marriage endings - one where you married, and one where you married and RESURRECTED YOUR WIFE'S FAMILY FROM THE DEAD.

Mmmmm, necromancy!

Aussie Ben! You are back! Hello there!

Except of course the unfair puzzle where you had to remember what the genie's bottle looked like - shown once, way at the start of the game, in a cutscene - so you could replace it.

Haha, nothing like starting a new game in order to solve a puzzle!