Tanukitsune

(Unconfirmed)Telltale tackles.. KING'S QUEST?

Torin's Passage reminds me that and Freddie Pharkas need to be requested to GoG.

Freddie Pharkas was fantastic. It's a shame this didn't do well enough to become its own series.

Al Lowe seems pretty cool, if you flick through his Larry 5 design doc he posted on his site, even then he was pushing for the removal of frustrating deaths and stupid copy protection stuff.

Yeah, I think what he did in Larry 5 was a major failure in that term because you could skip almost 80% of the game without any repurcussions, but Larry 6 and especially 7 show much better design than most or any Sierra games outside of Gabriel Knight. I've always liked how nonlinear those last two Larry games could be and not feel so aimless.

Hmm, I think that in games like Torin's Passage and KQ7 they removed the chances of completely ruining the game and if you died you could start from just before you died? But "Sierra = Moon Logic & cheap deaths" is still deeply ingrained in my brain!

Well it's a little bit different because Torin's Passage was for kids (or a family game) and extremely rough around the edges while King's Quest 7 fixed all of the design problems of the previous games by becoming incredibly simple. But yeah, Larry 6 and Space Quest 6 also had the "Try Again" deaths added as well.

Wow, I didn't even know there was a third "Guy from Andromeda"! It still looks like it would be a bad idea to bring most of them back into the game industry.

I'm not sure how active Josh Mandel counts because the last thing he worked on was writing for Insecticide. Insecticide was nicely written, but I think a lot of that came from Mandel having to actually contain his constant verbiage in a manner in which the game was playable. As fun as Space Quest 6 and Freddy Pharkas are, I think they are both completely hindered by long ass paragraphs on unfunny description or droning dialogue that the man seems to have a penchant for. Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is an incredible mess of a game because of this, but for whatever reason it seems many others love it.

But if Josh Mandel were to start working for Telltale for whatever Sierra series, I doubt they'd let him get away with writing an obnoxious amount of extraneous dialogue because then they'd have to have voice actors in the studio for double time just finishing one of his nutty scripts.

Corey and Lori Ann Cole have apparently gone batshit insane.

I almost wish I had the time to click through this site and figure out what the hell is going on here, but I don't.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

My first Sierra adventure was King's Quest 3. I remember not having any clue what to do and where to go. I was also pretty impressed by the scale of the world, once I managed to survive the walk down the mountain.

Torin's Passage is my favorite Sierra game.

And also one of the most bizarre games I've ever played.

I wish it was available on GOG. ):