Sully907

Dark Souls(Demon's Souls successor)

I would seriously estimate it took me fourish hours to make it past those archers, broken up into two sessions with a huge side trip into the place with Phalanxes in between. Holy crap man I just felt like I could not catch a break - I would estimate the archer fell down after killing me / knocking me off more than 15 times.

I almost quit. I did not; but I did make peace with the fact I am terrible at this game. The rest of that castle seemed pretty easy in comparison and I breezed through the big boss fight with a friendly ghost (real person).

On my very first playthrough, I must have gotten lucky, as I got past the archers on the very first try.  That was with a tanky warrior using a great shield.  I never understood what the big deal was.

Then I went back through with a hybrid dex/faith build.  And I understood exactly what the big deal was. 

I was watching my brother in law play for the first time. He killed Capra on his first try, and got passed the archers on his first try. I wanted to strangle him and he didn't understand what the big deal was.

I think Capra might have been the hardest boss in the game for me. I went almost all the way through BlightTown and Darkroot Gardens before I ever beat him, and even then it took an hour. I'd get staggered the moment I entered the door and then get mashed.

There's definitely some really cool design there that can provide a variety of challenges for a lot of different character types. It really makes me want to go back and play a tank and see what bosses that absolutely destroyed me before are suddenly easy.

The Capra took me so long as well. He was brutal. The second time i managed to take out the dogs I beat him though.

Argh... I'm feeling so lost! I had to look up a guide to find a merchant that sells the key to the one who sells magic... But I just can't find him. It seems I haven't reached that shortcut yet? But they says I should have if I've beaten the minotaur boss? At least I found an elevator to the beginning... and I rescued someone who I don't think is going to reward me at all.... :|

I'll give you a hint:

Behind the portcullis the armored boar was guarding there is a key, read the detailed description of that key

After a friend of mine finished his play through and raved nonstop for a month about this I decided to pick my save back up. I think I was messing around in new londo when I should have been in the depths. Now I feel a lot more "on track". Please no one kill me for saying this but the map has a really interesting "metroidvania" sort of feeling in the different initially locked ways discreet areas are interconnected. It also gates entry to many areas not based on pure ability accrual but based on how difficult enemies are like a traditional RPG. 

All in all there's a mountain of stuff to like in here. 

Oh definitely, the world design is truly remarkable. Even very late in the game I had some "oh shit!" moments when I realized where some places were in relation to eachother. For me it's kind of the ultimate 3D Super Metroid even though it's different in many ways. I actually think it's as good for its time as SM was, but maybe I'm crazy.

Also, it's on sale for $6 on Steam!

That bit in LI where you get the elevator back up to you-know-who completely blew my mind. Related: how do I do a spoiler thingy? Bit new to this forum and forums in general so sorry for newbie question

Man... I own it on PS3 with the DLC... but for $6 I won't have to change the input on my TV anymore  :erm:

I finally found him! I don't remember if I asked this, but... does this game have only shortcuts or can't you travel between bonfires eventually?

You'll get the

lordvessel

eventually, which will allow you to travel between some - but not all - bonfires, provided you've already lit them (of course)

Works a charm, thanks Squid Division

Now I only have to decide where to go next... 

I killed some big armor guy in a church and after freeing the mage I killed a demon missing a leg that threw lighting at me... Is there such a thing as a bad path? I don't know whether to continue the Undead church area or the swamp I discovered?

Edit: Nevermind, I beat some gargoyles and rung a bell! HUZZAH?

I was lucky, since I had just had enough for the higher version of the spell I had, which killed them pretty quickly!

Does the game have a spell that can harm more than one enemy? It would be nice for those crowds of weak zombies. Thanks to them many times I just had to turn back because I ran out of spells! Now that I have a second one, I can last much longer.

The areas seems to be more connected than in Demon's Souls, so I'm not sure if I'm done with the Undead area or not. I'm pretty sure I should try to get a pyromancer spell, I have a feeling these skeletons are weaker to them since my normal spell does almost nothing to them and they give almost no XP?

Whenever you think you're done with an area, you're wrong. There's always something else tucked away. 

There are definitely spells which do AoE damage, and probably pyromancies too. I'd like to be more helpful, but it's been a while since I've played. Very envious of you getting to play it all for the first time though :P

I was lucky, since I had just had enough for the higher version of the spell I had, which killed them pretty quickly!

Does the game have a spell that can harm more than one enemy? It would be nice for those crowds of weak zombies. Thanks to them many times I just had to turn back because I ran out of spells! Now that I have a second one, I can last much longer.

The areas seems to be more connected than in Demon's Souls, so I'm not sure if I'm done with the Undead area or not. I'm pretty sure I should try to get a pyromancer spell, I have a feeling these skeletons are weaker to them since my normal spell does almost nothing to them and they give almost no XP?

There's some AoE stuff, but not the kind you're thinking of. You'll have to go to pyromancies for that (note: pyromancies do not scale with int, you have to upgrade the pyro glove which you can't get yet). However, even as a spellcaster it'd serve you well to have a backup weapon. There are some weapons / upgrade paths that scale with the intelligence stat and there are also some quite powerful weapon buff spells you can apply. There are also enemies with high magic resist, so having a weapon for those is a good.

Guh still stuck on Quelaag. I did better than I usually do. Unfortunately, the summoning on PC barely works and I don't have a whole lot of humanity left. I've noticed her attack doesn't hit to her right, so I've been circling around her that way, but she'll either lead me towards the lava or do that ridiculously powerful AoE attack that catches me off guard.